Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

You are severely overrating his ability mate, if a blokes best attributes are he can roost it long and put blocks on, you're a pretty plain sort of footballer, for a player who is a supposed inside bull he only averages 6 contested possessions and 2 clearances a match, not to mention he is yet to prove his body can stand up to the rigours of AFL football, if that type of players is a lock in our team we can expect to finish in the bottom 4 once again.
No, you're underrating him. He played complete seasons in 2013 and 2014 and suffered a freak injury in 2015.

As for the last bit, absolute hyperbole.

No, you're underrating him. He played complete seasons in 2013 and 2014 and suffered a freak injury in 2015.

As for the last bit, absolute hyperbole.

Missed 5 matches in 2014, suffered a freak accident in 2015 yes, but came back in round 20 and got injured again.

Myers midfield numbers aren't helped by him being played off half back for most of 2013 and 2014.
When he's fit, he's one of our best and most important players. He's not best 22, he's best 10. Will start every game he's fit for this year, and he's had a year to get his body right.

Myers midfield numbers aren't helped by him being played off half back for most of 2013 and 2014.
When he's fit, he's one of our best and most important players. He's not best 22, he's best 10. Will start every game he's fit for this year, and he's had a year to get his body right.

Best 10? :drunk:

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Kelly Hurley Gleeson
Zaka Watson Colyer
Tippa Hooker Laverde
Bellchambers Daniher Fantasia

Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Myers Hocking Goddard Parish

Reserves from;-

Dea ??? Long
Dempsey Brown McKenna
Stanton Bird J.Merrett
Redman Langford Eades
Nyuan Francis Kommar

McKernan Hams Howlett

Int: ??? ??? ??? ???

Did this with the current group not delisted as yet so expect a few more to be gone eventually.

I found this really really hard... Stanton, Howlett, Francis and Langford all in the reserves.

Don't think I missed anyone.

Stants is definitely in our best 22. He has a huge tank and his durability is underestimated. He will rack up some huge numbers again next year just don't let him kick out from opposition behinds.

My belief is Myers may be the most important player in any improvement in 2017 - Get his body right, a consistent run of games and his role will be invaluable.

My belief is Myers may be the most important player in any improvement in 2017 - Get his body right, a consistent run of games and his role will be invaluable.

I don't know about that - Myers is a good player, but a tad over-rated in my opinion. In fact, if you look at that stats he's very similar to Dempsey -a rangy half back type with lots of ability but very injury prone.

Myers - started 2008, games - 85, ave.disposals - 17.7, marks - 3.7, goals - 0.3, tackles - 2.9
Dempsey - started 2006, games - 133, ave.disposals - 17.3, marks - 4.1, goals - 0.3, tackles - 2.6

Im not saying right now Dempsey is better - hes probably on the way out, but no doubt there's some similarities there between these two - flashes of brilliance then not lots of frustration in between....

Myers' is that defensive midfielder we need at stoppages and in general play, not a tagger as such. Not sure how his tackle averages compare with others, but his blocking and bumping, pressure creates space and opportunity for teammates.

Still we have some serious depth next year. Exciting times ahead boys.

Myers is a lock for mine and will do a much better job than Bird going head to head with oppositions big bodied inside mids. It will be great to see Myers line up against the likes of Cunnington, Cripps and Parker at stoppages.

Stants is definitely in our best 22. He has a huge tank and his durability is underestimated. He will rack up some huge numbers again next year just don't let him kick out from opposition behinds.

I suspect your right but who do you drop for him.

The candidates as I see it are

Bellchambers - Worsfold clearly wants to play a double ruck.
Hocking - Provides blocking on the inside which is sorely needed.
Myers - Same as Hocking but better.
Goddard - Doubt he gets dropped.

It was Stanton or Goddard and I assume that Goddard has a lock on a spot.

No one realises how important Myers is until he's not in the side. He's a pivotal big body in and around the contest. If he can get a solid run at it without injury he will be a very good player for us

Agree with this.

He changes the dynamic around the ball dramatically. He's not just a beast who can win the ball, he will block and protect team mates (which is the reason his numbers tended to be a bit lower in 2013 and 2014).

Happy for him to be defensive around the ball but when we have the thing it should be a priority to get it into Myers' hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I might be a bit left field here

FB Baguely - Hurley - Hartley
HB Goddard - Hooker - Stanton
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - Colyer
HF Laverde - Daniher - Langford
FF Bellchambers - Watson - Fantasia
Foll Leuenberger - ZMerrett - Hocking

Int: Tippa, Myers, Parish, Kelly

I have Watson at full forward because his (relative) speed, smarts and height should make him a great lead-up target for us, while we can easily cover him in the midfield now that we have another genuine star in Merrett to help Dys, Kelly hopefully back to bring experience, Myers and Hocking to bring bigger bodies. I'd also like to see Langford, Laverde and Parish take on leading roles in the engine room next year.

With that sort of talent we have to draw on now, we can easily cover Jobe in the middle of the ground and I think he could be a very dangerous full time forward.

Yes, best 10. I don't see what's funny or ridiculous about that.

Heppell, Hurley, Hooker, Merrett, Baguley, Watson, Goddard, Zaharakis, Daniher, Luenberger, Parish, Fantasia, Stanton and Colyer are whats funny about it.

You can then add in team structure where Hartley, Ambrose/Brown and Bellchambers will be picked ahead of him.
He is in the bottom 6 of our best 22, our list could change drastically in the next month, there will be players the calibre of Hocking, Bird, Howlett, Mckenna and Gleeson possibly playing VFL, if Myers doesn't start the seaon well he will find himself there as well, add in the fact he will have played 2 matches in two and a half years I cant possibly see how anyone thinks he is a lock in our best 22 every week.

Heppell, Hurley, Hooker, Merrett, Baguley, Watson, Goddard, Zaharakis, Daniher, | Luenberger, Parish, Fantasia, Stanton and Colyer are whats funny about it.
I drew a line where you should have stopped.

You can then add in team structure where Hartley, Ambrose/Brown and Bellchambers will be picked ahead of him.
Hartley as a second defender, maybe. Yet our second most important inside midfielder will not be picked after a third tall or second ruck, particularly when our best inside midfielder is turning 31 this year. Life for our balanced midfielders and outside midfielders becomes much harder when they're required to do all the work themselves.

He is in the bottom 6 of our best 22, our list could change drastically in the next month, there will be players the calibre of Hocking, Bird, Howlett, Mckenna and Gleeson possibly playing VFL, if Myers doesn't start the seaon well he will find himself there as well, add in the fact he will have played 2 matches in two and a half years I cant possibly see how anyone thinks he is a lock in our best 22 every week.
Hocking won't be playing VFL and all those other players are of VFL calibre anyway. Gleeson and McKenna may make a leap forward but as of right now, they are not in the postcode of Myers. None of them have a snowball's chance in hell of displacing him.

I cant possibly see how anyone thinks he is a lock in our best 22 every week
Then there's no hope for you I guess. Myers impact on the game goes deeper than supercoach points.

Myers' blocking work and left peg are very important at a stoppage, no doubt. However if we manage to find a player who can do a similar job whilst being more athletic I would have them ahead of him. We don't have that, so Myers is best 22.

I drew a line where you should have stopped.

Hartley as a second defender, maybe. Yet our second most important inside midfielder will not be picked after a third tall or second ruck, particularly when our best inside midfielder is turning 31 this year. Life for our balanced midfielders and outside midfielders becomes much harder when they're required to do all the work themselves.

Hocking won't be playing VFL and all those other players are of VFL calibre anyway. Gleeson and McKenna may make a leap forward but as of right now, they are not in the postcode of Myers. None of them have a snowball's chance in hell of displacing him.

Then there's no hope for you I guess. Myers impact on the game goes deeper than supercoach points.

You even put your ow team up and couldn't find a place for him in the starting 18, do you realise what a lock in the team even means? It means they will be picked no matter what, if Heppell has 4 stinkers to start the season he will play round 5, if Myers has 4 stinkers he if not already dropped will not play round 5.

Myers' blocking work and left peg are very important at a stoppage, no doubt. However if we manage to find a player who can do a similar job whilst being more athletic I would have them ahead of him. We don't have that, so Myers is best 22.

Absolutely, he is best 22 as of now but no way is he a lock, if we were to pick up Hartlett, Kelly and Dea and then the number 1 pick, he is very borderline.

Absolutely, he is best 22 as of now but no way is he a lock, if we were to pick up Hartlett, Kelly and Dea and then the number 1 pick, he is very borderline.
None of those types really replace him though. If we used pick 1 on somebody like that I would be fuming.

You even put your ow team up and couldn't find a place for him in the starting 18,
Where he starts in the 22 is irrelevant. I could have him at centre, Heppell on HFF and Laverde on the bench or any combination of that. Could have had him as a ruck rover and Hocking on the bench. Yet even before I wrote a name down I knew he'd be a part of that team and that's really all that matters.
do you realise what a lock in the team even means? It means they will be picked no matter what, if Heppell has 4 stinkers to start the season he will play round 5, if Myers has 4 stinkers he if not already dropped will not play round 5.
Yeah, nah I'm pretty sure even Heppell would be dropped back to the VFL if his playing warranted it. What a bizarre way to define "lock".

Where he starts in the 22 is irrelevant. I could have him at centre, Heppell on HFF and Laverde on the bench or any combination of that. Could have had him as a ruck rover and Hocking on the bench. Yet even before I wrote a name down I knew he'd be a part of that team and that's really all that matters.

Yeah, nah I'm pretty sure even Heppell would be dropped back to the VFL if his playing warranted it. What a bizarre way to define "lock".

How would you define it? Best 22 does not mean an automatic lock.

How would you define it? Best 22 does not mean an automatic lock.
A lock is a player who will definitely be playing because there's nobody else with a probable chance of displacing them. Myers is a player who will definitely be playing because there is nobody else who will push him out.

Before we get into "but what if" crap, this is talking next year's team before we've even started pre-season so let's not muddy the waters by throwing up hypothetical overly-optimistic improvements, unforseeable new recruits and inexplicable declines in form. Short of us signing Dangerfield, Parish doubling his output and McCluggage having the best first year season of all time, Myers won't even be on the outer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back