Are Australian cricket fans the worst in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

“Later that night JL came over to me with those burning eyes and said, ‘Don’t you ever f---ing say that again, it is not just a f---ing game at this level.’ I could feel the heat generating from him, it had been eating away at him. He was having none of it, and he’d got himself really worked up over it. I said, ‘Well, we are just going to have to learn to disagree, it is a game, that’s what I think.’ He grumbled and cursed, but we got on with it.”
Shock horror the post-South Africa rise didn't last long.

This happens with so many super-intense coaches, across plenty of sports. Good initial results, but eventually the players just burn out - Ross Lyon, Matt Maguire, Michael Cheika, Eddie Jones etc. Doesn't matter how much players are getting paid at some point that s**t just beats you down.

This happens with so many super-intense coaches, across plenty of sports. Good initial results, but eventually the players just burn out - Ross Lyon, Matt Maguire, Michael Cheika, Eddie Jones etc. Doesn't matter how much players are getting paid at some point that s**t just beats you down.
I think across the board a lot more young sporting professionals see their vocation as just a job, albeit a well compensated one with the same need for work life balance as any other career in comparison to previous generations who saw it as more of a lifestyle and I suspect Langer's coaching style wouldn't have been particularly attuned to that

I think across the board a lot more young sporting professionals see their vocation as just a job, albeit a well compensated one with the same need for work life balance as any other career in comparison to previous generations who saw it as more of a lifestyle and I suspect Langer's coaching style wouldn't have been particularly attuned to that

if that is their attitude i don't like it tbh.

The bloke is an A-grade w***er. You can understand why the players didn't want to play under him.

I honestly couldn't disagree with you guys more.

We'd just lost the first time at the Gabba in what 40 years and the response from the players was like "oh well, lol lets hit the beers guys - don't take it heart" piss weak. they should have been absolutely gutted.

If so, they should at least have the guts to confront the person concerned, the coach, and tell him that they are concerned. This is something that the cricketers didn't do. I think I read somewhere where they , the other players asked Usman Khawaja, to speak to Langer. If you have concerns look the bloke in the eye and tell him.
A couple of real back stabbers.

If so, they should at least have the guts to confront the person concerned, the coach, and tell him that they are concerned. This is something that the cricketers didn't do. I think I read somewhere where they , the other players asked Usman Khawaja, to speak to Langer. If you have concerns look the bloke in the eye and tell him.
A couple of real back stabbers.

They told him multiple times both formally and informally.

They told him multiple times both formally and informally.
They did it behind anonimity.
Listen to Cummins speak when the pressure was on. Listen to the way Finch spoke. Both were reading from the same page. But neither actually confronted him face to face.
At least Khawaja did. As did Paine.
To earn respect, you have to be respectful of others. Langer earned his respect from men much tougher and respectful than those in the Australian cricket team he coached.
CA showed him no respect even after saving their sad arses after the South African debacle.

Listen to Cummins speak when the pressure was on. Listen to the way Finch spoke. Both were reading from the same page. But neither actually confronted him face to face.
To earn respect, you have to be respectful of others. Langer earned his respect from men much tougher and respectful than those in the Australian cricket team he coached.
CA showed him no respect even after saving their sad arses after the South African debacle.
None of the players wanted Langer and he’s yesterdays coach who actually provides little by way of insight or assistance. Deal with it.

Paine, Finch and Cummins had to sit down with CA and Langer and tell him to his face in a formal setting the issues the players had with him as he wasn't getting the message they were telling him informally. You can argue all you want that the players grievances were petty or soft but to say they didn't tell him is just incorrect.

This was all reported at the time too.

Langer earned his respect from men much tougher and respectful than those in the Australian cricket team he coached.

They werent tougher they were just more talented than this current group and who cares if langer has their respect they were just his teammates and peers, cummins and finch have the respect of their teammates as well its not some special honour langer achieved that he is mates with his mates and that his mates like him.

They werent tougher they were just more talented than this current group and who cares if langer has their respect they were just his teammates and peers, cummins and finch have the respect of their teammates as well its not some special honour langer achieved that he is mates with his mates and that his mates like him.

this is bullshit. Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Symonds these guys had to work hard to get to the level they did. Symonds in particular needed a number of kicks up the arse. All of them spent significant time in the wilderness before they were estabished in the test team.

Literally when Steve Waugh came in as Captain he said enough of this bullshit where everyone is matey matey with the opposition. You are there to win and to beat them. Not be mates with them. There is too much chummy "he's a good bloke" bullshit in the current team. Too many favorites (like Finch getting a run for 2+ years in white ball cricket when he was absolutely cooked - look at his record in the fing BBL for gods sake. Cummins getting picked as ODI captain, Cummins getting a run in T20 games when he absolute trash at that level, the list goes on and on).

The tail is wagging the dog with these blokes. They need a kick up the arse not a pat on the back and a "there there baby sorry you lost the World Cup / Our 40 year record at the Gabba / lost a test series to a 3rd string Indian team AT HOME". Its bollocks.

The way this team is going we'll be a laughing stock in 2-3 years and we'll need another "captain grumpy" to come in and get things back on track.

We'd just lost the first time at the Gabba in what 40 years and the response from the players was like "oh well, lol lets hit the beers guys - don't take it heart" piss weak. they should have been absolutely gutted.
For me it's more so the fact that he confronted Paine while seething with rage hours after the fact. He had time to simmer down and he still spat the dummy.

He couldn't control his emotions, no wonder the players didn't want to play under him.

I'm sure the players were absolutely gutted. They've gone 6-3-1 and haven't lost a series since then.

this is bullshit. Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Symonds these guys had to work hard to get to the level they did. Symonds in particular needed a number of kicks up the arse. All of them spent significant time in the wilderness before they were estabished in the test team.

Literally when Steve Waugh came in as Captain he said enough of this bullshit where everyone is matey matey with the opposition. You are there to win and to beat them. Not be mates with them. There is too much chummy "he's a good bloke" bullshit in the current team. Too many favorites (like Finch getting a run for 2+ years in white ball cricket when he was absolutely cooked - look at his record in the fing BBL for gods sake. Cummins getting picked as ODI captain, Cummins getting a run in T20 games when he absolute trash at that level, the list goes on and on).

The tail is wagging the dog with these blokes. They need a kick up the arse not a pat on the back and a "there there baby sorry you lost the World Cup / Our 40 year record at the Gabba / lost a test series to a 3rd string Indian team AT HOME". Its bollocks.

The way this team is going we'll be a laughing stock in 2-3 years and we'll need another "captain grumpy" to come in and get things back on track.
😂😂😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a s**t crowd at the Mcg yeah the fans are really backing this team lol according to he vocal minority on here anyway, they are on the nose with the public some idiot will bring up a video of Langer knocking a couple of bails off to prove how out of touch he was.

And here we go, the defenders of all things WA must chime in yet again.

If this latest interview doesn't yet again demonstrate the issues this guy has.....just say "I loved coaching the Australian cricket team and it was an honour to work with the team. I wish things had been done differently at the end but that's life."

Instead of whining about "cowards" and rah rah to the boomers on Facebook, showing yet again it was all about him.

And here we go, the defenders of all things WA must chime in yet again.

If this latest interview doesn't yet again demonstrate the issues this guy has.....just say "I loved coaching the Australian cricket team and it was an honour to work with the team. I wish things had been done differently at the end but that's life."

Instead of whining about "cowards" and rah rah to the boomers on Facebook, showing yet again it was all about him.
Yeah another article and my first thought is 'just move on mate'

He is coming across as pretty pathetic at the moment and a bit embarrassing

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn't all three of these things happen under Justin Langer?

they were the low lights where he was understandably pissed about. The latter two were in the series.
Not like the struggles bowling teams out in the 4th innings emerged under him, or anything.

I suppose Langer was powerless to stop all the failures, but he was entirely responsible for all the successes.

Not like the struggles bowling teams out in the 4th innings emerged under him, or anything.

I suppose Langer was powerless to stop all the failures, but he was entirely responsible for all the successes.

Yep like people acting like he had some grand plan that helped us retain ashes in england but the bulk of the team stunk in that series, our quicks were exceptional and smith batted like bradman it wasn't a great team effort at all take smith out we lose the series badly take langer out it doesn't change a thing because he didnt average 100 in that series and save us.

None of the players wanted Langer and he’s yesterdays coach who actually provides little by way of insight or assistance. Deal with it.
Strange, Langer said yesterday that he had great feed back from MOST of the team.

A few dissenters who were not game to talk face to face with Langer.

Yep like people acting like he had some grand plan that helped us retain ashes in england but the bulk of the team stunk in that series, our quicks were exceptional and smith batted like bradman it wasn't a great team effort at all take smith out we lose the series badly take langer out it doesn't change a thing because he didnt average 100 in that series and save us.
And IF ya Aunty had balls, she'd be your Uncle.
That is like saying take Bradman out of the great sides and they would have failed.
Are you even old enough to remember just how good he was. He along side Hayden!!>
If you are old enough I think ,maybe your memory is shot.

Mate what do you think the players got up to after, say, Adelaide 1993?

They were 2 runs away from winning the Frank worrell trophy for the first time in God knows how long, against an opponent that had smashed them for fun across 9-10 series.

Do you think Border, Boon, langer himself as he played that match, wouldn’t have been in the Windies change rooms that night on the cans?

Stop equating perspective with ambivalence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back