Are Australian cricket fans the worst in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket team and CA has been on the nose since 2018, which showed everyone how faithless their public statements have always been.

I am no fan of either Warner or Smith - but if you want to nominate w***ers perhaps Langer might be a good place to start (along with his opening partner) as two of the biggest our country has ever produced.

That opening partner that the Pakistan players love and has made a big difference to their batting yeah he’s a big w***er lol he certainly destabilised the Australian cricket when
he was playing

Last edited by a moderator:
In an alternate universe, Matt Hayden fails in the 2000/01 Indian series and gets dropped for Jamie Cox... or perhaps Greg Blewett gets one last chance or maybe even Michael Hussey's test career starts half a decade earlier than it did.

The Australian team is not quite as good as it was through the 2000s but still a very dominant team due to how many other great players we had through that era. Meanwhile, Hayden becomes one of dozens of good FC cricketers for whom it just never translated into test cricket and we barely hear from him again.

Yeah... I like that universe. I'd happily make that trade!! :)

Compared to India, absolutely not. I'd go as far as to say that the attitude of the average Indian fan is cancerous to the game of cricket with their selfish, individual/India first mindset. Generalisation? Sure, but this opinion has been crafted over at least 15 years interacting with them.

However the Langer talk has been absolutely cringe, like he was the sole reason we ever played well. Total nonsense. I don't mind Langer, but he has been a mastermind at creating his underdog Aussie battler image and plenty have fallen for it.

Last edited:
I'm not defending them by any stretch. But the problem goes well beyond the national team. I've heard it first hand.

I know a guy, who is no shrinking violet, who quit umpiring grade cricket because of the intimidation he copped. Aussie cricket has a problem.
Played a year of B grade district cricket in Adelaide 15 years or so ago. I'm open to playing tough cricket but the sledging was unbelievable.....

Compared to India, absolutely not. I'd go as far as to say that the attitude of the average Indian fan is cancerous to the game of cricket with their selfish, individual/India first mindset. Generalisation? Sure, but this opinion has been crafted over at least 15 years interacting with them.

However the Langer talk has been absolutely cringe, like he was the sole reason we ever played well. Total nonsense. I don't mind Langer, but he has been a mastermind at creating his underdog Aussie battler image and plenty have fallen for it.

It's also ignoring the many many many reports that langer had a massively reduced role in the side during our world cup win and the assistant coaches were essentially running the side then, this isnt speculation the players themselves have said this was the case the media backs that up and langer has never argued otherwise but still this myth that the mighty langer lifted an otherwise terrible side onto his shoulders and carried them to glory keeps getting pushed.

Cummins has announced he will sit out the IPL next year to prepare for the ODI World Cup - what a leader 😍

That opening partner that the Pakistan players love and has made a big difference to their batting yeah he’s a big w***er lol he certainly destabilised the Australian cricket when
he was playing

Has he made a difference?

They made the final in spite of their batting not because of it, they had arguably the two best T20 international batsmen in the world combine to make barely a ripple across the entire tournament.

Hayden always had a tendency towards being a knob as a player and he still comes across that way.

Has he made a difference?

They made the final in spite of their batting not because of it, they had arguably the two best T20 international batsmen in the world combine to make barely a ripple across the entire tournament.

Hayden always had a tendency towards being a knob as a player and he still comes across that way.
Hayden's a knob, Langer's a knob, Ponting was a knob, Steve Waugh was a different kind of knob. All great cricketers though that know their cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayden's a knob, Langer's a knob, Ponting was a knob, Steve Waugh was a different kind of knob. All great cricketers though that know their cricket.

Ponting wasn’t a knob. He was until he was 23-24 then he grew up.

Knowing your cricket doesn’t translate to being a good coach.

If it did, the West Indies would just get Sir Garfield Sobers to address the team and they’d be world beaters.

Hayden is so full of his own self importance that I find it hard to fathom how he could be an effective coach long term. Who knows though he may be the next Bob Simpson.

Ponting wasn’t a knob. He was until he was 23-24 then he grew up.

Knowing your cricket doesn’t translate to being a good coach.

If it did, the West Indies would just get Sir Garfield Sobers to address the team and they’d be world beaters.

Hayden is so full of his own self importance that I find it hard to fathom how he could be an effective coach long term. Who knows though he may be the next Bob Simpson.
Ponting was always a bit of a knob on the cricket field, stroppy, part of the mental disintegration crew. I'm not suggesting he's a knob now or that it even extended beyond the cricket field after his early issue, but he certainly wasn't held in the same esteem as, say, Hussey or Gilchrist.

And of course, being a good cricketer doesn't guarantee you can be a good coach. I have no idea how good or not Hayden is, though notably he's not gone into a head coaching role. But Langer's record at state and national level speaks for itself.

Considering the World Cup is in India next years, it's not the smartest move to skip the IPL.
He'll already have played plenty of cricket in India next year by the time the WC rolls around.

He'll already have played plenty of cricket in India next year by the time the WC rolls around.

More experience in those conditions is better imo. They have a test series in feb. They don't play white ball cricket after November this year until sept next year. Makes it even more puzzling that he's decided to miss the IPL.

More experience in those conditions is better imo. They have a test series in feb. They don't play white ball cricket after November this year until sept next year. Makes it even more puzzling that he's decided to miss the IPL.

He's played plenty of cricket in India, and he'll have plenty of teammates that will be able to advise him of the conditions.

After the home Summer, he already has to head straight to India for the hardest Test tour in world cricket. And then he has got an already reasonably short break between that and and away Ashes and South Africa tours, and then between those and the World Cup. It's a crammed schedule even without the IPL.

His time would be better spent observing and planning IMO.

They are an interesting bunch for sure. I've related this story before, but I will again. I was in Bangkok when the 2015 World Cup was being played in Australia and New Zealand. Australia and India were playing in the Semi Final in Sydney, so I decided to find a bar where they were showing the match.

People may recall Australia making 7/328 with Smith 105, and it looked all Australia. There was a large contingent of Indian supporters at the front of the bar, and I sat the other side with a group of ex-patriot Australians. India came out all guns blazing with Sharma and Dhawan and had about 70 on the board after only 6-7 overs, and the Aussies were under pressure.

The Indian supporters were making plenty of noise barracking for their team, and a wicket fell. In walked Kohli and the supporters were going nuts. Then Kohli nicked Johnson to Haddin and was gone. To my astonishment, the entire contingent of Indian fans got up and left. Kohli was out, so they had no further interest in the game.

I said to a guy next me that if Smith had gotten out, Aussies would generally hang in there and hope someone else like a Clarke or a Maxwell would have got going. In terms of supporting your team, it was the weirdest thing I'd ever witnessed.

They are an interesting bunch for sure. I've related this story before, but I will again. I was in Bangkok when the 2015 World Cup was being played in Australia and New Zealand. Australia and India were playing in the Semi Final in Sydney, so I decided to find a bar where they were showing the match.

People may recall Australia making 7/328 with Smith 105, and it looked all Australia. There was a large contingent of Indian supporters at the front of the bar, and I sat the other side with a group of ex-patriot Australians. India came out all guns blazing with Sharma and Dhawan and had about 70 on the board after only 6-7 overs, and the Aussies were under pressure.

The Indian supporters were making plenty of noise barracking for their team, and a wicket fell. In walked Kohli and the supporters were going nuts. Then Kohli nicked Johnson to Haddin and was gone. To my astonishment, the entire contingent of Indian fans got up and left. Kohli was out, so they had no further interest in the game.

I said to a guy next me that if Smith had gotten out, Aussies would generally hang in there and hope someone else like a Clarke or a Maxwell would have got going. In terms of supporting your team, it was the weirdest thing I'd ever witnessed.
Same with Tendulkar in years gone by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back