Are Australian cricket fans the worst in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did it hurt JLs feelings? I thought he was tough unlike those soft WOKE players. JL gets told some home truths like he has been praised for doing so to the players and can't hack it so quits?
You're being a bit silly now bringing WOKE into things.

If CA didn't want him, have the balls to just tell him he's not going to be extended instead of making an insulting offer.
They knew what they were doing.

If CA didn't want him, have the balls to just tell him he's not going to be extended instead of making an insulting offer.
The intent of the message was for it to be silly tbf to me but yes you're right it wasn't one of my better posts.

If he had a shred of self awareness he would have read the tea leaves that he was no longer wanted by the players and his employer and just seen out his contract without fuss. Instead he elected to drag it through the media through with the help his mates.

If he had a shred of self awareness he would have read the tea leaves that he was no longer wanted by the players and his employer and just seen out his contract without fuss. Instead he elected to drag it through the media through with the help his mates.

Actually it says a lot that his mates have come to his defence superstars of the game, compared ti Ian Chappell coming out and defending Cummings i know you're a bit slow on the up take but the Aussie cricket team and CA are on the nose with the public, the recent antics from Cummings and the sacking of JL is a big part of that whether you believe it or not., its no secret two of the biggest w***ers in Australia cricket Smith and Warner were behind that.

Actually it says a lot that his mates have come to his defence superstars of the game, compared ti Ian Chappell coming out and defending Cummings i know you're a bit slow on the up take but the Aussie cricket team and CA are on the nose with the public, the recent antics from Cummings and the sacking of JL is a big part of that whether you believe it or not., its no secret two of the biggest w***ers in Australia cricket Smith and Warner were behind that.
His mates that, along with JL, ousted their first international coach?

Of course they came to his defence, they lost their hand when Langer was sacked. McDonald is not one of them and certainly less likely to say "how high sir" when Steve Waugh tells him to jump. No g in Cummins either.

We do seem to have a tendency to turn against our own very quickly. However, I don't think it's uniquely an Australian issue.

Look at how Cricket Australia (and the Australian public) treated Steve Smith.

Then look at how the Poms treated their lolly-using Ashes team, and how the South Africans treaed their bottle cap men.

Chalk and cheese.

Australians are the worst. It is a cultural thing. Crabs in a bucket mentality on steroids.

It would be easy to blame Howard and the 90s 'culture wars' but I think it goes back way further than that.

Aus public = trash, and so Aus cricket followers = trash.

Obviously I am speaking in general terms, there are plenty of exceptions. But that is what they are: exceptions.

It isn't just cricket either.

Look at how Aussie soccer fans have treated Christian Volpato for not committing to the national team.

The kid is a decent chance to get an Italian call-up one day, and he is using Aus as his backup option.

What is wrong with that?

The Italians have a stronger football culture and will be playing far more elite matches than Aus over the next 10 years.

Play for Australia in the World Cup every four years (and get attacked by your own when you lose), or

Play for Italy in WC + Euros and get treated like a god everywhere you walk in Italy.

Gee, tough decision.

If the Italians don't give him a cap between now and the next WC he can come back and the Aus coach will take him with open arms.

Ironically, so will the Aus football public. What a fickle bunch.

Anyone who thinks Any fans (apart from british one) are the worst in the world has not sat in a stadium to enjoy a day's cricket and had those bogan cretins chanting their inane drivel all day constantly like some epic migraine dispensary. After one entire day of that garbage and every time those imbeciles are audible I have to mute the TV.

Anyone who thinks Any fans (apart from british one) are the worst in the world has not sat in a stadium to enjoy a day's cricket and had those bogan cretins chanting their inane drivel all day constantly like some epic migraine dispensary. After one entire day of that garbage and every time those imbeciles are audible I have to mute the TV.

The behaviour of the contemporary cricket fan has prevented me from attending cricket for a number of years now. I find general cricket crowds (not just Australian) to be obnoxious. There was a time when you could sit and watch the cricket, applaud good shots, fielding, etc, but in general it was a pleasant combination of excitement and relaxation.

No musical instruments blaring, no incessant chanting, just the odd good-natured banter which at times was entertaining. I went to a match several years ago, didn't enjoy myself at all, and came home with a headache after having endured idiots making as much noise as humanly possible, and I thought "that's it for me", and I haven't been back.

As you said, there are times when you can't even watch it on TV as the cacophony of noise needs to be muted. I watch a lot of sport these days with the sound off and some good music playing in the background. I accidentally turned on the T20 semifinal between Pakistan and New Zealand the other night and decided to watch for a while. The crowd were going off their nuts, not just after every ball, but during balls. It went on, and on, and after just under 2 overs I just couldn't take it anymore.

Unfortunately the times were bad, most people work in this country and can’t afford to go during the week. Plus it’s T/20

Maybe do a Google image search for something like "cricket supporters burn effigy" to find out who the biggest crybabies are.

But pound for pound, if we're not including the Taliban, New Zealand have the worst fans. Example: Slashing the tyres of the Australian team bus and leaving behind a friendly note saying "Hayden your family will suffer".

Honourable mentions:

None of this matters to the OP. Apparently fair and justified criticism of weak links like Finch, Cummins (in T20s) and our nice guy coach Andrew McDonald means we're bad fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe do a Google image search for something like "cricket supporters burn effigy" to find out who the biggest crybabies are.

But pound for pound, if we're not including the Taliban, New Zealand have the worst fans. Example: Slashing the tyres of the Australian team bus and leaving behind a friendly note saying "Hayden your family will suffer".

Honourable mentions:

Feel like crowd trouble was a big issue around the world in the late 90s - early 00s. We certainly had our fair share of it here as well (remember Warnie having to come out of the dressing room to get Bay 13 to settle down!). Our crowd problems were nowhere near the levels that were seen in some other countries though. We didn’t have stands burning down or full scale riots because a game didn’t go our way.

Cricket team and CA has been on the nose since 2018, which showed everyone how faithless their public statements have always been.

I am no fan of either Warner or Smith - but if you want to nominate w***ers perhaps Langer might be a good place to start (along with his opening partner) as two of the biggest our country has ever produced.

Cricket team and CA has been on the nose since 2018, which showed everyone how faithless their public statements have always been.

I am no fan of either Warner or Smith - but if you want to nominate w***ers perhaps Langer might be a good place to start (along with his opening partner) as two of the biggest our country has ever produced.
Ordinarily I'd support Pakistan any day of the week over the English but with Hayden on board it's hard.

If smith or warner did this would we ever forgive them?

If smith or warner did this would we ever forgive them?

Lol disgraceful should of been banned for a year to think some nuffie thinks that’s comparable to ball tampering , although this is BF so anything is possible, again whether you like it or not any failure by the Australian cricket team will be called out simply because of the white anting of the previous coach and how it played out the vocal minority on here will have to deal with it.

As far as I'm concerned the torn-off began under Steve Waugh's captaincy with their win at all costs attitude. Certainly they played masterful cricket and reduced most opponents to rubble, but the sheer ugliness of it all was often nauseating - especially when entwined with Waugh's True Blue, Baggy Green, Kokoda, Anzac bulldust. Gilchrist, Martyn, Gillespie and maybe a couple of others I liked as people, but the others, whilst fantastically talented and driven, I could not care a jot for. Let alone want to meet and spend any minute of time with.

For some reason, I really have no problems with footballers pushing, shoving and swearing at each other but in cricket I find it extremely off-putting and distasteful.

Yeah, call me old-fashioned.....

As far as I'm concerned the torn-off began under Steve Waugh's captaincy with their win at all costs attitude. Certainly they played masterful cricket and reduced most opponents to rubble, but the sheer ugliness of it all was often nauseating - especially when entwined with Waugh's True Blue, Baggy Green, Kokoda, Anzac bulldust. Gilchrist, Martyn, Gillespie and maybe a couple of others I liked as people, but the others, whilst fantastically talented and driven, I could not care a jot for. Let alone want to meet and spend any minute of time with.

For some reason, I really have no problems with footballers pushing, shoving and swearing at each other but in cricket I find it extremely off-putting and distasteful.

Yeah, call me old-fashioned.....
Cricket's particularly abusive, All that standing around. Plenty of time to hang s**t on people if you're that way inclined.

Cricket's particularly abusive, All that standing around. Plenty of time to hang s**t on people if you're that way inclined.

True and I'm sure that due to advanced technology it was picked up more in that time.

And yes, I fielded enough in the corden to know that to kill time you'd say s**t to the batter. But, as Graeme Smith said, if you were batting against Australia you knew that Shane Warne would be calling you a c**t from first slip all innings.

Hayden with his Godliness, but calling everyone a c**t
BNG Langer with his cheating ways
Ponting with his anger
Clarke just thoroughly unlikeable
M.Waugh just being a prick
S.Waugh being a righteous ass
Healy with his chirping
Warne just ghastly
McGrath with the spitting and then the sooking (eg Sarwan)
Lee with his chainsaw (or was it lawnmower?) antics after being clubbed all over the ground.

Urrggh

True and I'm sure that due to advanced technology it was picked up more in that time.

And yes, I fielded enough in the corden to know that to kill time you'd say s**t to the batter. But, as Graeme Smith said, if you were batting against Australia you knew that Shane Warne would be calling you a c**t from first slip all innings.

Hayden with his Godliness, but calling everyone a c**t
BNG Langer with his cheating ways
Ponting with his anger
Clarke just thoroughly unlikeable
M.Waugh just being a prick
S.Waugh being a righteous ass
Healy with his chirping
Warne just ghastly
McGrath with the spitting and then the sooking (eg Sarwan)
Lee with his chainsaw (or was it lawnmower?) antics after being clubbed all over the ground.

Urrggh
I'm not defending them by any stretch. But the problem goes well beyond the national team. I've heard it first hand.

I know a guy, who is no shrinking violet, who quit umpiring grade cricket because of the intimidation he copped. Aussie cricket has a problem.

It's the general mentality of sports followers all around the world now. All codes, all sports, all countries. I think it was media-driven initially but it's definitely permeated into the standard psyche of a sports fan and often into professional clubs (not usually successful ones, mind you!).

Every team is the greatest after a win and the shittest of all time when they lose. This is a slight exaggeration but it's not a million miles from the truth. The pendulum on how any given team is viewed just swings wildly from one week to the next.

It's not even the old-fashioned meltdowns (i.e. Richmond fans microwaving memberships) which were hilarious but lasted a day and then everyone got a dose of calm and worked through their s**t.

Reasoned analysis now seems to consider a team that has lost two games on the trot has not only "been exposed" as pretenders this season, but it's also time to rip up the entire system and start again.

It's nauseating and is honestly making sport nearly unbearable.

It's like people - and if I'm being honest it's not young people, it's mostly people in my age bracket (40yo) and older - who I think have been damaged by the internet and social media and have lost the maturity to go with the ebbs and flows of a season.
I always thought it was sarcasm when people swung so hard to the pessimistic or optimistic after one result but I’m starting to realise how much people really get sucked into their own belief that we’re either the best or the worst. It’s bipolar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back