Are the majority of taggers failed midfielders?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a lot of evidence of this in recent times.

By the looks, coaches are turning underperforming midfielders into taggers.

It started with Cameron Ling who couldn't cut it as a pure mid - he was a Geelong whipping boy at times and turned it around by tagging.

I'm seeing this with with players like Dion Prestia (probably the best current example) and Bernie Vince.

Another example was Michael Barlow when he was severely out of form with Freo at the end and we all know about Ryan Crowley.

Ben Jacobs another that comes to mind.
Jacobs is more like Cogniglio in style I think. Strong defensive mid who can be given a tagging role. Still be expected to get his share of the ball and use it effectively though.
Ben McGlynn a "pure" tagger that comes to mind, in his Hawthorn days but any thought it was all he was, is belied by the way the Swans used him.
Tom Bugg we used a lot as a tagger, but he's in a different role with the Demons.
Possible a marginal player could get games as a tagger they wouldn't otherwise get, but in the modern game a one dimensional player probably wont IMO.
It's too predictable and inflexible, you need to keep the opposition tacticians guessing.

Andrew Carrazzo was a failed small defender, turned midfield accumulator, turned tagger, turned defensive forward and retired as still one of our better accumulators.

Some midfielders are just more disciplined so get shutdown roles when required. They are still more than capable of holding their own when not tagging.

Ed Curnow is another example for us.

Jacobs is more like Cogniglio in style I think. Strong defensive mid who can be given a tagging role. Still be expected to get his share of the ball and use it effectively though.
Ben McGlynn a "pure" tagger that comes to mind, in his Hawthorn days but any thought it was all he was, is belied by the way the Swans used him.
Tom Bugg we used a lot as a tagger, but he's in a different role with the Demons.
Possible a marginal player could get games as a tagger they wouldn't otherwise get, but in the modern game a one dimensional player probably wont IMO.
It's too predictable and inflexible, you need to keep the opposition tacticians guessing.

The only time ever in the history of football that Ben Jacobs will be compared with someone of the calibre of Coniglio in a positive light.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time ever in the history of football that Ben Jacobs will be compared with someone of the calibre of Coniglio in a positive light.
:)I've watched him take Shiel out of a game while still doing his job offensively and that tends to colour your view. It was 2015 though and the last time I have seen him play live.

I like the new trend of letting young kids play a close checking role on the oppositions best midfielder. Hawthorn has been doing it plenty with Howe and he has come leaps and bounds playing on the best.

The true tagger seems to be a dying role.

Pity Howe doesn't currently have anyone to learn from

Aren't you putting down all opposition teams there as he would be learning midfield craft from the player he is following around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back