Are You A Cheer Squad Member & Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have nothing to hide then you’ll be all sweet. For those that do then so what if they’re weeded out?
Indeed, but when I read the title, I thought they were referring to Gil & the AFL...

Not sure if this is solely the AFL’s decision.

Through my sporting association we were advised that the need for cards had been widened to just about anyone interacting with children in a formal capacity. Previously it had been more for coaches, team managers etc.

As the cheer squads are sponsored by the clubs, they likely fall under such an increased requirement (speculation).

Info from association website:
*As of the 1st August 2017, the Working with Children Act has changed. 'Working with Children' will include anyone who has oral, written or electronic communication with children, as well as face-to-face or physical contact, with children. Further details can be found at workingwithchidren.vic.gov.au under the heading of 'Changes to Legislation'.

I think this is the case as the scope has definitely become broader. When I was younger I used to do some volunteer work at a local sports club once a week - just really simple stuff, organising matches, collecting money, having a yarn to players and parents etc. Now, the people doing that role are all required to have Working with Children Checks. On the face of it needing one for the cheer squad sounds excessive, but I've never been in one so I'm not sure what their level of involvement with children actually is.

I always assumed all cheer squad members had a mental age of about 10yo anyway.

716225-994da910-51a6-11e3-b7b4-89041ea3763d.jpg
tenor.gif
Joffa+Corfe+AFL+Rd+2+Collingwood+v+Carlton+HAUOki__Qk2l.jpg

Last edited:
I always assumed all cheer squad members had a mental age of about 10yo anyway.

It does feel like the domain of people who are a bit "special" mentally. I'm not meaning that in an offensive or "looking down on them" way, just the impression I've got.

In that regard, I guess this check is aimed at weeding out the weirdo creeps and genuinely "not all there" types with questionable motives and tendencies.

*As of the 1st August 2017, the Working with Children Act has changed. 'Working with Children' will include anyone who has oral, written or electronic communication with children, as well as face-to-face or physical contact, with children. Further details can be found at workingwithchidren.vic.gov.au under the heading of 'Changes to Legislation'.
This right here. It's popping up in many work places now.

Not sure if this is solely the AFL’s decision.

Through my sporting association we were advised that the need for cards had been widened to just about anyone interacting with children in a formal capacity. Previously it had been more for coaches, team managers etc.

As the cheer squads are sponsored by the clubs, they likely fall under such an increased requirement (speculation).

Correct.

So whilst I’m sure many are lining up to sink the boots in, this isn’t an AFL House decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL have advised that, as of this year, all cheer squad members must have a Working with Children Check. The organisers have had to have them for ages, fair enough. But now every person that sits with the cheer squads must have one. It sounds a bit over the top to me.
Has something happened in one of the cheer squads that has caused this to happen ?

I can cop this, but I am concerned about where it will end.

I dunno - I guess repeated charges, then fair enough, but sometimes it just seems a bit rough, especially when people need one for something very unrelated to children

I just know a case of a cleaner at a university campus, who had worked there for 10 years, then they bought in that every worker on campus needed a WWCC (at a university?) and this cleaner failed because 15 years earlier he belted a bloke who physically harrassed his wife. Lost his job as a result.

Just seemed a bit rough considering children weren't affected in anyway by this guy being a cleaner on a Uni campus or not...

Universities are very complex organisations, and do many things that most people never realise. There are also various aws that require a bunch of students and staff to have checks — nursing, medicine, teacher education, etc etc.

Before retiring I used to be a head of school in a University, plus chaired a Committee with oversight of training clinics.

In my school, we had to review which staff had checks when we offered extension studies to Year 12 students. However, all those students were over 16, so not required at the time. However, any academic staff or students doing research with children had to have checks.

Across the University we had a range of medial and health clinics to train students. All staff (Academic and admin), and all students in the clinics that dealt with children had to have checks. No check, no enrolment.

There was also a lot of discussion about client safety, in particular around access and security around toilet facilities when we had children or vulnerable individuals.

Because of this type of issue, the facilities people who would do regular cleaning and maintenance also had to have clearance.

The AFL have advised that, as of this year, all cheer squad members must have a Working with Children Check. The organisers have had to have them for ages, fair enough. But now every person that sits with the cheer squads must have one. It sounds a bit over the top to me.
Has something happened in one of the cheer squads that has caused this to happen ?
No a broad change in the law in VIC last year. No reason why cheer squads should be exempt if there are children in the squads

Makes sense, cheer squads would generally attract enough underagers, and there's more to it than simply sitting behind the goals.

The 'look' of it too would probably play a role as has been mentioned already.

Surprises me that the league would jet in with that proposal just before the season started.

Clearly there must be some concern Aaround at some clubs...

Do the players need to have WWCC as they spend times at schools doing clinics and the like?

Yep, do recall last year or the year before Dusty (and another player or two) got sent home from one because they hadn't had their WWCC renewed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back