Prediction Assistant coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

It's obvious what we did. We backed in the side that had smashed their opposition in finals the two weeks previously. Exactly the same thing that Richmond did.

The frustrating thing is, if we'd gone smaller, our smalls should have smashed them. Their structure was gimmicky and relied on average role players.

I think this is a frustrating havit that our club needs to seriously think about altering. We're too loyal to the "well it worked last before..." belief system and it's now cost us another final.

The biggest case of this was Massie on Franklin in 07. Massie beats Franklin on a cold, wet, windy night at Footy Park, was an inspired choice by Craig, one of his best on field moves. Unfortunately he failed to realize why it worked. The conditions meant Franklin, who's only average overhead, would struggle in this regard even if you put Tony Liberatore on him, thus all you had to cover was his ground work, which Massie was good at and had enough size to boot. Change that to perfect day conditions at the MCG and it's a whole other story, especially when you have Nathan Bock and Scott Stevens around too.

Now Otten wasn't quite as obvious a mistake, but unfortunately our dominance across he ground against Geelong meant that Otten wasn't exposed as a weakness. He played okay and we dominated and thus the club felt reassured that they'd made the right choice, then there was the whole romance, which was akin to carrying an injured, out of form, ineffective Petrenko into the 2012 PF. Outside analysis was that we'd need extra runners to cope with Richmonds ground pressure, we ignored this, we ignored the oppositions strengths and we just assumed that we'd win because we were the better team.

Not saying that would have changed the result, we also went in with too many outside players and didn't rock up to play.

I think we've addressed the "too many soft, outside players" issue with Gibbs and Gibson(I suspect to hold the fort till Gallucci/Poholke/Sig/pick 12) might be ready to take over. The selection issue remains to be seen.

Hang on we did not lose GF we got thrashed .
Sam won the ruck but fed it to Tigers all day so why Mr Matt and midfield coach did we not do something different .
Glad Francou on board and JPod obviously not going .
When are we getting rid of those other 2
We won more games than any other side last year.

We lost. We need to fix things. It's ******* stupid to try and pretend that last year was a disaster and we need a massive rebuild.

We won more games than any other side last year.

We lost. We need to fix things. It's ******* stupid to try and pretend that last year was a disaster and we need a massive rebuild.
Thats true Kristof but guess where I am coming from is we just carried too many players all year that were low in possession and pressure acts and on top of that you have Atkins and JJ type that go missing in pressure games.

Thats true Kristof but guess where I am coming from is we just carried too many players all year that were low in possession and pressure acts and on top of that you have Atkins and JJ type that go missing in pressure games.

Nearly our entire forward line are icing on the cake type. Obviously when you're struggling to get clean ball out of the midfield all forward lines are struggling to be at their best. But I reckon that as a group, our forward line is the most downhill skiing mob in the comp. Great at turning dominating midfield into a massive win but can't drag us out of a tough situation when we're struggling.

I think this is a frustrating havit that our club needs to seriously think about altering. We're too loyal to the "well it worked last before..." belief system and it's now cost us another final.

The biggest case of this was Massie on Franklin in 07. Massie beats Franklin on a cold, wet, windy night at Footy Park, was an inspired choice by Craig, one of his best on field moves. Unfortunately he failed to realize why it worked. The conditions meant Franklin, who's only average overhead, would struggle in this regard even if you put Tony Liberatore on him, thus all you had to cover was his ground work, which Massie was good at and had enough size to boot. Change that to perfect day conditions at the MCG and it's a whole other story, especially when you have Nathan Bock and Scott Stevens around too.

Now Otten wasn't quite as obvious a mistake, but unfortunately our dominance across he ground against Geelong meant that Otten wasn't exposed as a weakness. He played okay and we dominated and thus the club felt reassured that they'd made the right choice, then there was the whole romance, which was akin to carrying an injured, out of form, ineffective Petrenko into the 2012 PF. Outside analysis was that we'd need extra runners to cope with Richmonds ground pressure, we ignored this, we ignored the oppositions strengths and we just assumed that we'd win because we were the better team.

Not saying that would have changed the result, we also went in with too many outside players and didn't rock up to play.

I think we've addressed the "too many soft, outside players" issue with Gibbs and Gibson(I suspect to hold the fort till Gallucci/Poholke/Sig/pick 12) might be ready to take over. The selection issue remains to be seen.

I liked this because it's a beautiful post that sums up our selection cultural issue. I vehemently disagree that the players didn't turn up to play though.

I liked this because it's a beautiful post that sums up our selection cultural issue. I vehemently disagree that the players didn't turn up to play though.

I think they turned up alright but lost their s**t when a few (many) s**t umpiring decisions went against them. They need to not only, know their is a 90% chance this will happen but be better prepared to cope when it inevitably does happen.
As the saying goes, there is nothing more certain than death, taxes and s**t biased umpiring.

Also 3 injuries at the end of the first quarter including Greenwood's other calf. Can't remember who the other two were but heard it on air from one of the coaches. Still agree we shouldn't have gone in with Otten.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think they turned up alright but lost their s**t when a few (many) s**t umpiring decisions went against them. They need to not only, know their is a 90% chance this will happen but be better prepared to cope when it inevitably does happen.
As the saying goes, there is nothing more certain than death, taxes and s**t biased umpiring.

This is rampant stupidity. When you go in as tall as we did you are certain to run out of petrol tickets. Just before half time, we were up, we got ground into the dirt by superior running power. Not only did we choose tall, we also chose injured. We turned up to play, the selectors gave us no hope.

This is rampant stupidity. When you go in as tall as we did you are certain to run out of petrol tickets. Just before half time, we were up, we got ground into the dirt by superior running power. Not only did we choose tall, we also chose injured. We turned up to play, the selectors gave us no hope.

Seems like we’re always choosing players and game plans to win against last years finalists. More imitators than inovators.
We’ll probably roll out our own mosquito fleet next year so we can compete for the 2017 GF again.

Seems like we’re always choosing players and game plans to win against last years finalists. More imitators than inovators.
We’ll probably roll out our own mosquito fleet next year so we can compete for the 2017 GF again.
Pyke has trust issues. He trusted Otten because he'd played a huge chunk of the year and he was a know quantity. Whether it was the right matchup almost seemed irrelevant in whether he should be selected or not.

Pyke has trust issues. He trusted Otten because he'd played a huge chunk of the year and he was a know quantity. Whether it was the right matchup almost seemed irrelevant in whether he should be selected or not.

Not about trust it's about his coaching philosophy on footy continuity

Pyke is a big believer that it is important to keep continuity with the team so unless forced by injuries Pyke will try and stick with a core group of 28-30 players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pyke is a big believer that it is important to keep continuity with the team so unless forced by injuries Pyke will try and stick with a core group of 28-30 players
But he needs to also ensure the team is balanced.

Would like to see him rotate the core 28-30 players more, particularly when one is carrying an injury. Would put us in a better place if we cop any key injuries for finals...

Even when he should be forced to make a change through injury, he sticks to continuity, too scared to make a call.

Even when he should be forced to make a change through injury, he sticks to continuity, too scared to make a call.

I think there's a lot of validity to the philosophy. Continuity and familiarity with implementing structures/plans is important, however I feel the balance is out of whack, we're too loyal to the incumbents/select few, instead of properly maintaining structure and addressing opposition style.

I think there's a lot of validity to the philosophy. Continuity and familiarity with implementing structures/plans is important, however I feel the balance is out of whack, we're too loyal to the incumbents/select few, instead of properly maintaining structure and addressing opposition style.

I think first and foremost you need 22 un-injured enough players with enough running power to apply and withstand manic pressure through 4 quarters of football. You need to consider opposition strengths and set-up when selecting your 22. Our philosophy relies on our opposition not bringing pressure across the ground over 4 quarters. When they bring that, we get beaten. You can win against crap teams and get lucky and win a couple against better teams, but hoping you get that 3 weeks in a row late in September is stupidity or sheer ignorance.

If you were a foreigner, you would think we were wooden spooners going by some posters.

No doubt we we need to improve, but our midfield is amongst the best not the worst. Crouch boys, particularly Brad have improvement. Gibbs adds class. Greenwood, Knight, Milera, Atkins, etc should improve. I expect Gallucci to impact next year. This outweighs losing CC.

Most games we lost this year was because we got the balance wrong, with a lack of runners. Unfortunately, this happened grand final day. Hopefully Pyke has finally learnt his lesson. Team balance is more important than picking the best available 22.

I think there will be aspects of Cameron’s game that we will struggle to replace. I think in terms of raw stats, we can replace him. However, his electric break away pace, elite defensive pressure (he is also a great tackler) and his marking ability for a player that size will be missed. Charlie’s pace made players hear footsteps and dispose under pressure. We don’t have a player who brings those attributes to the table and that will be hard to replace.

I think there will be aspects of Cameron’s game that we will struggle to replace. I think in terms of raw stats, we can replace him. However, his electric break away pace, elite defensive pressure (he is also a great tackler) and his marking ability for a player that size will be missed. Charlie’s pace made players hear footsteps and dispose under pressure. We don’t have a player who brings those attributes to the table and that will be hard to replace.
IMO Charlie’s marking ability was the most underrated aspect of his game for us. Was able to pluck either a hanger or a contested grab quite often, in the end. There’s no one of his height or less in our 22 capable of that bar Eddie

Gallucci.

No need, we'll just go taller and out-height them.

They should get familiar with being flexible and many players rotating through the side.

His philosophy is at odds with this next man up mantra that Walsh had.

Some attributes? Sure! At Cameron’s level? Not even close!
Not yet or 2018 for sure.

But he is quick & strong tackler. Doesn't have CC's X factor, but better skills & should have more upside in the long term.

Not yet or 2018 for sure.

But he is quick & strong tackler. Doesn't have CC's X factor, but better skills & should have more upside in the long term.
All well and good. Gallucci is a good tackler, and he is quick but is he really Cameron quick? Not many are.

X factor is a another major thing that is not easy to make up for. Our side in general lacks X factor and we have not replaced it. I like Gallucci and he will be a very good player in the long run but I am not sure that he is Cameron replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back