Australia V England 2nd test of the 2017/18 Ashes @Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't think it was awful call to bowl first but just to me it looked like the english bowers weren't all on board with root on that first day and that might be the issue more than actually bowling in those conditions.

I thought smith did the right thing batting again as well, we just showed no spine with the bat when the bowlers were on top and no skipper can fix that.

I really don't think it was awful call to bowl first but just to me it looked like the english bowers weren't all on board with root on that first day and that might be the issue more than actually bowling in those conditions.

I thought smith did the right thing batting again as well, we just showed no spine with the bat when the bowlers were on top and no skipper can fix that.

Root's call was wrong for two reasons:

1) England used the opportunity to bowl to work themselves into the game, rather than take the initiative.

2) It gave Nathan Lyon potential use of a Day 5 pitch against several left-handed batsmen.

Had England attempted to be aggressive, I would sympathise more with Root's decision to bowl.

Smith's call IMO was a 50/50 proposition which didn't really work out.

Why do they need preservation, though? For the series Starc has bowled 84 overs, Hazelwood 78 and Cummins 73. Less than 20 overs each per innings so far. By the time the WACA test starts they would've had 7.5 days to recover. We can't be sacrificing our already sketchy batting lineup by bringing in an 'All Rounder' who (albeit in good form with the bat in the SS) averages 21.74 in 21 tests and has barely bowled because he's coming back from a shoulder re-construction.

Concerned about the pitch being a belter for batsman and don’t want four bowlers bowling 150overs in an innings. Not that I believe this England side could last that long despite the pitch being a batting paradise.
They’ll be lucky to see a new ball in any innings. But this is what the selectors are thinking.

Boycott is spot on, I've made this point 2 or 3 times on this forum before. Batsmen need to perfect a technique, and that means working on the forward and back defence. Once you've developed this technique, you can adapt your game to ALL forms of cricket (T20, etc). You can't do it the other way around, and sadly many younger players now are working more on the T20 game, which pretty much rules them out of Test cricket.

Why do they need preservation, though?

Because, in today's game, there are sports scientists who are forever monitoring bowlers, and the moment they discover what they call "red spots", they will push for that bowler to be rested. It's important to find time during matches to rest bowlers adequately, and that is a very big reason captains don't opt for the follow on. Forcing bowlers to work for 2.5 to 3 days without a rest is not a very clever thing to do, especially when there's only 4 of them.

I still say that if the pitch is going to be so flat that we can afford a bloke at 6 who averages 21 then why not just bat cummins at 7, starc at 8 and play jackson bird who is a vastly superior test bowler to marsh and can get through a lot more overs if needed.

5 bowlers is a legit strategy on a really dead pitch but why settle for marsh when you can have a bloke who takes 4 wickets a test@27 in his place?

And I was impressed with Maxwell supportive of selectors' decision in picking Marsh too............

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/glen...orm-shield-technical-changes-ashes/2017-12-08

Maxwell's coach is a guy connected to my cricket club and we have had Glenn down a a couple of years back on junior presentation nights.Was pre test days for him but he impressed every one the way he spoke and especially our kids.

He must be disappointed after his efforts in India and miss out on selection for the 1st test with Shaun Marsh getting his spot and personally feel hard done by.Unfortunately for Maxi Shaun has made good use of his selection and now Maxi on the outer.

Last edited:
What do people think of Bancroft batting #3 instead of #1? He looks solid when he's set but early doors he's simply not comfortable playing new ball bowling on the caliber of Broad/Anderson. He appears very nervous outside offstump at the start of his innings. If Anderson/Broad generate meaningful movement, he tends to play, miss and sometimes poke. I do think he would do this less often with a slightly older ball? He has played some T20 and ODD cricket, so clearly he can lift the tempo of a game if required? How well does Bancroft cope against spin though?

Assuming Bancroft bats competently against spin and would be comfortable playing #3 (not too much of an issue ATM with Ali) I'd also be happy moving Khawaja to opener. He plays pace/seam/swing quite well and he scored 145 opening against Abbott/Philander/Rabada last year, while it seems unlikely that England would open with spinners just to bowl to him with a brand new ball.

Just a thought...

EDIT: Also wouldn't mind Cummins moving in for Starc at #8. Cummins has a fairly sound technique and can build an innings, whereas Starc is more of a stereotypical slogger. Give those types more freedom coming in at #9.

Bancroft at #3 certainly not a terrible idea, and he is likely to do better than Khawaja, especially long-term. However I feel we need to keep some semblance of stability. Bancroft earned his place as an opener, no one is displacing him, let's keep him there. If we need a new #3 it should be from a Shield player, or an upgraded middle order (eg. Ponting from #6->#3).

Sorry, but I was right again, the pommie ******* s**t themselves.
s**t their pants from eating too much custard ya ***** campaigner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back