Australian Touring Squad for India

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been better if he were playing for Queensland in Shield cricket IMO. What do everyone think the practice game XI will be? I'd be going with:

Renshaw
S Marsh
Khawaja
Handscomb
Wade (+, c)
Maxwell (for the lols)
M Marsh
Agar
O'Keefe
Starc
Bird

The top 3 are essentially competing for the openers and #3 spot (if Renshaw outperforms Khawaja Marsh bats 3), Maxwell and Marsh are competing for the allrounder spot, Agar and O'Keefe for the second spinner spot and Starc and Bird competing for the second seamer spot.
Absolutely agree, he needs competitive game time. Take him as a developmental player on an off-season tour if you must do that. Yes, he gets to be a net bowler in Indian conditions, but only a net bowler.

Geez...you need some educating about fast bowling mate.
Sayers and Bird are very different bowlers. Have you seen Bird swing the ball lately? I like Bird but without bounce he will be gobbled up.
Sayers would have been touring if he had been selected to play a test on home soil and was able to prove himself. I still can't believe he wasn't given an opportunity.
I struggle to see how you could lol at the thought of Head being selected.

Head is horse poo against spin bowling.

Sayers is going to swing the ball in India?

Once again, where is your proof? In the last 1.5 years of shield cricket he has got out just 6 times to 5 different spinners while enjoying the best form of his career.
How dare you bring shield stats to this conversation? What relevance does shield cricket have to test cricket? ;)

Haven't you seen him struggle to slog spinners hes probably never seen bowl before in the big bash? Or that one time he nicked off in an ODI playing a stupid shot of another spinner hes probably never faced before.

I'm pretty sure all these posters saying he can't play spin would have analyzed his technique closely against a red ball before categorically summing up his technique v spin.

Shaun Marsh 100% deserves selection. The two biggest mistakes with this squad are Maxwell and Swepson.
Nah. I might have picked Maxwell and I can sort of support the selection of Swepson. Shaun Marsh's selection is a no-brainer. BBL form doesn't determine Test selection.
The 2 I wouldn't have picked are Mitch Marsh and Agar. I would have taken Cummins as one of my choices instead. How long can someone be wrapped in cotton wool? At some stage he has to play Test cricket again.

Nah. I might have picked Maxwell and I can sort of support the selection of Swepson. Shaun Marsh's selection is a no-brainer. BBL form doesn't determine Test selection.
The 2 I wouldn't have picked are Mitch Marsh and Agar. I would have taken Cummins as one of my choices instead. How long can someone be wrapped in cotton wool? At some stage he has to play Test cricket again.
Maxwell hasn't made runs or taken wickets in FC cricket ergo shouldn't be selected. Swepson's selection basically hinders his development, which is my problem with it. I'd rather him play 5 games in the Shield than tour India.

Mitch Marsh makes sense somewhat, he's a fit fast bowler who can bat a bit. I think they see him as the fourth in line seamer rather than a top 7 bat. Cummins? Absolutely not. Let him play First Class Cricket before we rush him back into the test arena.

Maxwell hasn't made runs or taken wickets in FC cricket ergo shouldn't be selected. Swepson's selection basically hinders his development, which is my problem with it. I'd rather him play 5 games in the Shield than tour India.

Mitch Marsh makes sense somewhat, he's a fit fast bowler who can bat a bit. I think they see him as the fourth in line seamer rather than a top 7 bat. Cummins? Absolutely not. Let him play First Class Cricket before we rush him back into the test arena.
Mitch Marsh can bat? :D

Cummins needs to play FC cricket before tests. We have no idea how he bowls atm, bowling a FC line is completly different to how one would bowl in a ODI line. I also have a feeling they want to take it easy, let him play FC and if he gets through all that then save him for the Ashes later in the year.

See, l don't see how it would hinder his development... It would be a different type of training, bowling on SC wickets. Him being a net bowler and playing in the trial games and tbh l wouldn't put it out of the question of him earning a recall. I know that we are going to get absolutly smashed and throughout the series there will be people asking for change. I don't have a problem with it, shows he is close to a debut if he really puts in the effort. (Some bowlers coast through their development because they know they are so far away from a debut, if ever). And l don't know if he would miss 5 games, l will have to check on that.

Just out of interest... why do we only take a squad of 16? If the likes of Swepson get selected for 'development' why not bring a few more players on tour for development as well. Surely in this ultra-professional era, it's not a question of costs. I mean, if Head is so terrible against spin, why not bring him along and basically get him in the nets every day he's on tour... and sit him down with any former Indian greats that will give their advice. Then on the NEXT tour, he'll be more experienced and ready for the conditions.

From what I can gather, pretty much every former player agrees that the biggest issue in playing in the subcontinent is getting used to the conditions. And yet, every tour we more or less do the same thing -- give the players minimal time to acclimatise, and expect that somehow by a miracle, players who may have never even left the country before will be ready to face the best spinners in the world, in the most spin-friendly conditions in the world... with basically 1-2 tour matches under their belt and a few weeks of net sessions. It's idiotic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bird will swing the ball?

Stump to stump bowling works over there. For the record I'd have played Sayers over Bird this summer, but now we didn't, and Bird performed, we weren't taking Sayers.

27 wickets @ 18.48 vs Swepsons 10 wickets @ 43, understandable that he's salty.

Would have been O'Keefe vs Holland. Not sure we were ever taking both.

Agar as an AR. Australian cricket is in a more dire situation than I imagined.

Well he wouldn't be getting a spot as a front line spinner. Probably not ahead of SOK as the 2nd spinner so he's competing with the others for that AR/3rd spinner on a dustbowl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back