Australian Touring Squad for India

Remove this Banner Ad

That's ignorant of the conditions that the Pakistan v Australia tests were actually played in though. Yasir, Zulfiqur and Hafeez had an absolute field day on turning wickets whilst Lyon continued to fail to deliver.
That just shows you how bad Australia is at spin

Respectfully disagree. He's had chances at shield and test level for ages and hasn't made a century in yonks. If his name was Tim Paine he'd get no support.
Im not disagreeing that his shield record doesn't match the opportunities hes been given at test level.

Just that he had no opportunity to demonstrate ability since being dropped this summer.

In that one match, he failed with the bat (scored 14 and 0), but he actually bowled fairly well - 6/112 off 30 overs, all top order wickets, including Joe Burns twice.

I wonder how he'd do with scrapping the idea of being an all-rounder, and instead try to become a frontline bowler who can bat at #8 (a la Mitchell Johnson/Mitchell Starc). In terms of actual output, his batting ability isn't really much better than that anyway, but his Shield bowling record is quite good - 27.01 average, 48.55 strike rate, 3.33 economy rate - albeit somewhat limited (mainly due to him being played as a batsman only early on, and not bowling a ball in his first 6 Shield matches). He doesn't get enough time in the Shield comp, and doesn't really get to bowl enough overs when he does play, to try and reinvent himself in that way though.
By the end of this series if all turns to s**t, he might be playing as a bowling number 8.

I think that there's too many good bowling prospects at the moment for him to be selected as just a bowler. Would just like to see him play shield a lot more than he does. Also WA sometimes bat him too high just leave him at 6 all the time.

There is talk that we may just take the one front line seamer, 3 spinners and Marsh.

Surely we'd be better off playing both Starc and Hazlewood and just putting either Agar or Maxwell in Marsh's spot?'

Leaving Hazlewood out would come back to bite us in the ass I reckon.
Considering Hazlewood is the better bowler of the two, it would be stupid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is talk that we may just take the one front line seamer, 3 spinners and Marsh.

Surely we'd be better off playing both Starc and Hazlewood and just putting either Agar or Maxwell in Marsh's spot?'

Leaving Hazlewood out would come back to bite us in the ass I reckon.
I dont reckon they go down the unconventional path until after a couple of tests when it's not working. If starc or hazlewood play a test or 2 and barely look like taking a wicket then adding extra spin to the team would be common sense. But who knows how things will pan out. If they start 1st test without starc & hazlewood they're crazy

I'm Starcs biggest critic, he bowls absolute garbage 80% of the time, but I also respect statistics.

He averages around 20 in subcontinent conditions.

Hazlewood has the ability to keep it tight between the new ball and the ball reversing. Starc usually isn't great in this period.

It would be a substantial * up to not play both.

The hilarious fact is that we may be relying on Mitch Marsh for either batting or bowling in both situations, which makes me sick.

No. Just trying to establish who Sarc is. Bradesman says Sarc is no good.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

He's not terrible like Bradesman keeps saying, but he's nowhere near Hazelwood in my view. Starc is a very solid and acceptable test bowler, who on his day is lethal, but he is inconsistent.

Last edited:
The hilarious fact is that we may be relying on Mitch Marsh for either batting or bowling in both situations, which makes me sick.

Laughable. Hopefully this is the last tour of the Mitch Marsh debacle.

Mind you when the options are Maxwell (he'd be my pick as the best out of a terrible bunch but really why is he there), and Khawaja (can't play spin)....the options are thin!

The truth lies somewhere in between.

He's not terrible like Bradesman keeps saying, but he's nowhere near Halewood in my view. Starc is a very solid and acceptable test bowler, who on his day is lethal, but he is inconsistent.
Bowling line up:
Sarc
Halewood
Byrd
Lion
Mash
O'keith
Schweppes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back