Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps the regular training-goers can comment more accurately because I haven't seen him 'play', but when I was at training 2 weeks ago I got a good look at his frame and he still has some filling out to do.
His body has "filled out" enough to play AFL, but long way from finished.

I don't think he'll play a lot of footy for the seniors this year, but gee he has a lot of talent. Birchall clone is cliche, but very apt.

I'm actively trying to keep my expectations for Scully and Birchall in 2019 low. Leaving myself plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

Barring anymore injury set backs this is what I am expecting best case scenario for both-
Scully round 10-12.
Birch round 6-8.

Feels a little bit like you're kinda trying to compare him with someone in particular...
No. Just saying that one has a trait that a previous champion had. Ayres obviously had many more good traits than what Miles has shown so far.
'Good driver in heavy traffic' is a good skill to have, and I'm just highlighting a positive about Miles.

I mean him absolutely no disrespect, but in AFL Player terms (IMO), he's short, doesn't defend, isn't quick, isn't a great leap & doesn't handball well.

He has good awareness, seemingly pretty good game sense & he kicks well out to 40m, but if he's in our Best 22 then we're in fair trouble.

Again, that's not a sleight on the guy, just my opinion of where he sits within & what his inclusion means for our team.

Just thought I would interject and say he is actually deceivingly quick, if you watch him take on the game and break from tackles in his games last year. As for his defensive craft, on the Hawks his job is to get the ball out of the 50 and open up the corridor by running the ball out and finding a target further up the ground.

Before CJ took his job in Box Hill, he played about half his time on ground in the matches I saw playing on small forwards and running with them, like a psuedo tagger. Although he doesn't have any aerial presence, i remember him playing on Daniel Younan who is a gun who was on Coburg at the time. Miles has defensive capabilities, he was just playing his role, granted he could have tackled more in the games he played for us.

I will concede that he is useless in the air. But jumping at the right time and getting the fist to a ball can be taught, I think he can be a weapon and develop into a Jake Lloyd type of defender who doesn't really have to contribute to aerial contests.

If I recall correctly I think Geelong were very interested in Miles but more than likely didn’t want to give up much to get him. Also by memory isn’t there a family connection with Geelong and that if traded then that’s where he asked to be traded. I think his sister or something was dating one of their players but I cannot recall exactly.

As many have said before he has his attributes but is probably surplus to our needs being a small defender. It by no means he’s no good but just that we have enough small defenders and he’s failed to fit anywhere else. He’s to us what Minchington was at the Saints. Everyone has such players and can easily be seen as a ‘why the heck did they let him go’ type player. Joey Kennedy was probably one of our worse one of those type players but we had the midfield covered back then but he came back to haunt us badly.

Miles' sister is dating Mitch Duncan

Good luck tagging JOM and leaving Scully and Smith roam the wings unimpeded

Last year Issie was tagged about the same amount of times Titch got a really hard tag. I think with Titch out, oppositions will tag Issie most of the time.

As Sirlemsip said, JOM is one of those players who are hard to tag. I think most clubs won't bother, he can run Ben Jacobs off his feet and push him out of a contest with his pinky.

I've been trying to track down info after I saw that tweet. Any idea of exact date, time and venue? (i can't access the article)

Carlton has been told by the AFL he is not able to play in their official practice match against Hawthorn on February 21 or in their two JLT Series games.”

That’s all the article has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gromma how is your boy traveling at the moment? What does he think of the Hawthorn preseason programme vs the GC one?
He is raring to go mate...very excited about the coming weeks
Gromma how is your boy traveling at the moment? What does he think of the Hawthorn preseason programme vs the GC one?
He couldnt be happier mate..he is being managed really well...very excited for the next few weeks and season ahead.

He is raring to go mate...very excited about the coming weeks

He couldnt be happier mate..he is being managed really well...very excited for the next few weeks and season ahead.
Great news. Does he have much of a feel re: where he sits in the pecking order? Likely to be an apprenticeship at BHFC first?

Great news. Does he have much of a feel re: where he sits in the pecking order? Likely to be an apprenticeship at BHFC first?
I would have thought it was a matter of simply putting your best foot forward and showing enough to get selected, rather than considering any perceived pecking order, which I seriously doubt is a 'thing'.

Next few weeks will be the best indication I reckon...of course like every player his aim is to play 1s but he knows he has to prove himself. Im confident he can do that. Lets see.

I would have thought it was a matter of simply putting your best foot forward and showing enough to get selected, rather than considering any perceived pecking order, which I seriously doubt is a 'thing'.

Lovely sentiment, but we all know there is a pecking order. It’s kinda like none of us admit to having favorite children ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back