Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

Article in the West all but confirming Balic to seek a trade back home.

Guess we saw this coming, such a shame to lose a potentially immense talent but his mental health is what's priority. I guess we got Cam Mac in similar circumstances and I can only see these sorts of things continuing to happen in Footy as times change.

All the best to him.

I don't even light the fire with The West so I'm still gonna hang onto the hope that whatever's going on can be resolved and he can play 10 seasons of tasty footy with us.

I light my fire with it, my neighbour donates his paper to me for the purpose
True story, it often burns an incandescent blue and yellow when lit - it's ******* eerie

Balic has changed his Insta bio from "Melbantle" to "Melburn" and his profile pic is no longer him in Dockers colours. Now it's just a random pic.

Dang.

Balic has changed his Insta bio from "Melbantle" to "Melburn" and his profile pic is no longer him in Dockers colours. Now it's just a random pic.

Dang.
I'm probably the only one who finds what hes doing disrespectful. First his dad supposingly jokes about offering him money to stay, then he misses most of his first year with injury, club exploited a rule in the wafl to get him to play finals. Second year he has the chance to repay the faith in us, for drafting him with a dodgy wrist and missing almost all of the afl season, he goes home not once but twice. Changing Melbantle to Melburn before the season has ended and your contract expires? Not really sure why everyone keeps wishing him well, commonsense is hes homesick, with a full pre season there is a strong chance he'll line up in the best 22 in Round One for his new team, while screwing us over at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm probably the only one who finds what hes doing disrespectful. First his dad supposingly jokes about offering him money to stay, then he misses most of his first year with injury, club exploited a rule in the wafl to get him to play finals. Second year he has the chance to repay the faith in us, for drafting him with a dodgy wrist and missing almost all of the afl season, he goes home not once but twice. Changing Melbantle to Melburn before the season has ended and your contract expires? Not really sure why everyone keeps wishing him well, commonsense is hes homesick, with a full pre season there is a strong chance he'll line up in the best 22 in Round One for his new team, while screwing us over at the trade table.

I wouldn't say it's disrespectful. He's just a young kid dealing with a lot of stuff. He clearly expected to be in Vic his AFL career and has since been upset with his wrist/lack of games etc. You can't blame him for just wanting to blow off steam. He's never publicly said a bad word about Freo/Ross and it seems all the freo boys are behind him.

I just want this guy playing top level football because he has something that suggests he'll be a 250+ game superstar. I'm absolutely shattered that it is highly likely that it won't be Freo but sh*t happens.

Let's give the kid some space and not speculate on it until we hear more.

I'm with Mike. I don't have any issues with a player wanting home. It happens. But you let things take their course. It is not like McCarthy at the Giants where they were refusing to enable his move. Fremantle have been generously supportive.

I thought the dad statement when he was drafted was disrespectful too. Not something to put out publicly when your son is having a big day in his life.

Not to be insensitive is there is stuff he is dealing with but the kid seems like an absolute dickhead.
I'm not sure he will ever be the player we expected him to be anyway as i am totally (i am uninformed admittedly) uncommitted to the cause.

I am of the belief that his current "leave of absence" is club imposed rather then him being homesick so make of that what you will.

Not to be insensitive is there is stuff he is dealing with but the kid seems like an absolute dickhead.
I'm not sure he will ever be the player we expected him to be anyway as i am totally (i am uninformed admittedly) uncommitted to the cause.

I am of the belief that his current "leave of absence" is club imposed rather then him being homesick so make of that what you will.

I've got a feeling he'll somehow "miraculously" turn into a dedicated, hard working and successful AFL player next year. I too don't have anything concrete to back this up but I think he's playing us for fools to get his own way.

I've got a feeling he'll somehow "miraculously" turn into a dedicated, hard working and successful AFL player next year. I too don't have anything concrete to back this up but I think he's playing us for fools to get his own way.

There's not really any need for him to do that though. He could have just said no to a contract and walked out at the end of this year no matter what.

There's not really any need for him to do that though. He could have just said no to a contract and walked out at the end of this year no matter what.

This. It's extremely easy for uncontracted players to get to their club of choice these days, there is no need to sit out. But by not playing since round 7 he has potentially missed out on $70,000 in match payments and bonuses (based on the 2016 CBA so it could be more). He also missed out on the chance to show potential employers his real worth. If he played the rest of the year and killed it he would be getting offers for hundreds of thousand of dollars more than any current offers.

I thought the dad statement when he was drafted was disrespectful too. Not something to put out publicly when your son is having a big day in his life.
His dad didn't put out a statement to the public, Harley was talking to the media about having to move interstate and relayed a joke his dad said about his move. The media then did what it does and made something out of nothing.

This. It's extremely easy for uncontracted players to get to their club of choice these days, there is no need to sit out. But by not playing since round 7 he has potentially missed out on $70,000 in match payments and bonuses (based on the 2016 CBA so it could be more). He also missed out on the chance to show potential employers his real worth. If he played the rest of the year and killed it he would be getting offers for hundreds of thousand of dollars more than any current offers.

His dad didn't put out a statement to the public, Harley was talking to the media about having to move interstate and relayed a joke his dad said about his move. The media then did what it does and made something out of nothing.
All of this.
Anyone who thinks all these antics are designed to get to the club of his choice is a thinking tribally and not logically.
It will not just cost him match payments and potentially a better and longer contract (by playing, playing well and showing he is worth it.) it could cost him his career!

Maybe he only gets a one year deal with one of the busted arse Melbourne clubs. Tears his hammy off the bone and bang, delisted. Plenty of time to think about how he shouldn't have made disrespectful instagram posts about freo.
Turn it up people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back