Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Beams is a good kick. Just under pressure he’s not quick enough to find space so has to go the hack kick more often then you’d like.

Last edited:
I think Beams is a good kick. Just under pressure he’s not quick enough to find space so has to go the back kick more often then you’d like.

Agreed. Absolutely beautiful kick and nearly always chooses the right option to kick to when he has time. Under pressure, and as most inside mids do, he goes the back kick as you said. To be honest that's what I really like about Neale - he has a special ability to use the ball well from the inside that not many inside midfielders do. Would have been the perfect foil for Beams, Berry and Zorko tbh

I was listening to Wil Anderson on his footy comedy podcast today (2 Guys 1 Cup) and he noted that because he is close to Eddie now he is on his MMM breakfast show he has known that the Beams trade from a Pies perspective has been on for some time. Make of it what you will, but I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it takes the heat off theAFL for letting teams in the north have academies and to appease Eddie somewhat.
It absolutely does, but the problem is that the NGAs are actually stronger than our northern academies. We can take any Queensland kid. They can take any Victorian kid who has indigenous or foreign heritage.

Worth noting that we haven't had a top 10 academy prospect ever - Hipwood being our highest... This year both Quaynor and Thomas have been discussed as potential top 10s.

If, as is likely, both Tarryn Thomas and Isaac Quaynor go before pick 14, then both North and Collingwood will have acquired higher rated talent from their NGAs in their first year alone than Brisbane have received, ever.

I was listening to Wil Anderson on his footy comedy podcast today (2 Guys 1 Cup) and he noted that because he is close to Eddie now he is on his MMM breakfast show he has known that the Beams trade from a Pies perspective has been on for some time. Make of it what you will, but I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.

Everything that has come out about Beams since he was traded back to the Pies is not a good look. IMO him giving up the captaincy mid-year had less to do with his mental state and more to do with distancing himself from the club so he could walk out at the end of the year.

I feel like all of this could have gone a lot smoother if he had been completely honest in his BnF speech. Majority of Lions supporters would be understanding if he said he needed to get back to Melbourne. Don't lie and talk about being excited that success is just around the corner and wants to be a part of it. Leaves a sour taste.

Everything that has come out about Beams since he was traded back to the Pies is not a good look. IMO him giving up the captaincy mid-year had less to do with his mental state and more to do with distancing himself from the club so he could walk out at the end of the year.

I feel like all of this could have gone a lot smoother if he had been completely honest in his BnF speech. Majority of Lions supporters would be understanding if he said he needed to get back to Melbourne. Don't lie and talk about being excited that success is just around the corner and wants to be a part of it. Leaves a sour taste.
I do believe he was genuinely conflicted, but I think that conflict was driven by his love for the playing group in contrast to his desire to go back 'home'. But yeah, a totally bad look and had probably diminished his standing among some of the younger players.

It absolutely does, but the problem is that the NGAs are actually stronger than our northern academies. We can take any Queensland kid. They can take any Victorian kid who has indigenous or foreign heritage.

Worth noting that we haven't had a top 10 academy prospect ever - Hipwood being our highest... This year both Quaynor and Thomas have been discussed as potential top 10s.

If, as is likely, both Tarryn Thomas and Isaac Quaynor go before pick 14, then both North and Collingwood will have acquired higher rated talent from their NGAs in their first year alone than Brisbane have received, ever.

So we should expect outcry from fans of Victorian clubs who are all about true fairness of the game, right?

So we should expect outcry from fans of Victorian clubs who are all about true fairness of the game, right?

To make finals next year we need to replace him with he best available player who can make an immediate impact be it the current Sandover or Margarey medallist or the best player out of contract. The benefit of getting Neale has been diminished by the Beams bail

I think there were quite a few of us that were convinced that he was leaving mid-year. That's why the B & F speech came as (i) a shock and (ii) a sign that he had changed his mind.
The disappointing thing in all of this for me was that he wasn't honest enough to his Coaches, Footy Boss, CEO, Supporters and in particular his team-mates.

Worth noting that we haven't had a top 10 academy prospect ever - Hipwood being our highest... This year both Quaynor and Thomas have been discussed as potential top 10s. Thomas is considered a top 10 talent though I think.

Quaynor and Thomas both seem closer to pick 20 than pick 10 from what I've read.

Interesting thing about the academies is that GWS and Sydney have both produced several really high picks. I reckon a big part of that would be that Vic recruiters are a lot closer to them, especially the GWS kids that are based in the Riverina area or go to boarding school in Melbourne, and so know a lot more about them. There just isn't any incentive for Victorian recruiters to look all the hard at kids from QLD which probably explains why they are undervalued a lot. i.e. if Hipwood played his underage footy in Victoria I reckon he'd be going a hell of a lot higher. Same with someone like Harris Andrews - someone with that talent is being identified really quickly in a Victorian recruiter saturated market, but in QLD why would Vic clubs put in any risk or effort when they can't get access to them.

My understanding of the situation with Aboriginal players in the academies is that it is only for remote areas. Giving clubs an incentive to find and development talent in areas that otherwise wouldn't be well resourced is a good thing imo.

My understanding of the situation with Aboriginal players in the academies is that it is only for remote areas. Giving clubs an incentive to find and development talent in areas that otherwise wouldn't be well resourced is a good thing imo.

It's not just for remote areas. The WA and SA clubs have that restriction (though that might change) but not the Victorian clubs.

It's not just for remote areas. The WA and SA clubs have that restriction (though that might change) but not the Victorian clubs.
oh ok, so we'd be able to access Aboriginal talent from our zone in Melbourne then. I wasn't aware of that, I thought they were only available from our NT zone. Not sure what the justification could be for cities.

I remember Chris Johnson’s son as an infant toddling around Lions training at Giffin Park with a Sherrin bigger than him.

Truly a great bit of work by Essendon there to grow the talent base of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back