Ben Cousins wants a coaching role.

Remove this Banner Ad

It only took post #10 before a legitimate OP turned into a troll fest / Bay 13 style thread. Couldnt you simply scroll down and click on "Bay 13"? FFS

Cousins has had more than his fair share of issues and all self inflicted. And to suggest these issues are in someway tied to the club that gave him a second chance is childish at best. Ben would obviously need to prove himself and start from scratch in the VFL or similar before he's taken seriously at elite level.

Why do you think I was trolling? He would be a perfect fit for Richmond. He knows a lot of the players, considering he finished his career there. He would probably be familiar with the coach as well. There's no reason why Cousins couldn't find a role within the club, even if it's just with one or two players to start with. What midfielder wouldn't want a few pointers from a former Brownlow medallist? There is plenty of knowledge he could provide to young players like Martin and Cotchin.

He'd be as successful and reliable as Paul Gascoigne during his coaching career. No one in their right mind would go near this guy.

Hrm. Probably not going to happen. Nobody is going to take a chance on him unless he's clean for half a decade. And the chance of that? Pretty tiny.

As for the Tom Harley comment. Tom, he isn't a pedophile. Your child isn't going to be taught how to score, nor is Cuzzy going to condone the usage of drugs and the derailment of a great career. It'd be a real buzz to have a Brownlow medallist as your coach.

Why do you think I was trolling? He would be a perfect fit for Richmond. He knows a lot of the players, considering he finished his career there. He would probably be familiar with the coach as well. There's no reason why Cousins couldn't find a role within the club, even if it's just with one or two players to start with. What midfielder wouldn't want a few pointers from a former Brownlow medallist? There is plenty of knowledge he could provide to young players like Martin and Cotchin.
Cool, my appologies then. Why didnt you elaborate in the first post? The comment came across sarcastic. But agree with some of your reasoning although the club had a big cleanout of players since Ben left. lol He has a lot of ground to make up in many aspects as the game has progressed since he's left.

If he ever coaches, could you imagine all the drug tests this team would have to do.

I reckon he knows the game well and would be an asset as long as he stays straight.

No chance - what kind of role model would he be for the young players on the list? This is more complex than being a player on the list. An assistant coach has to lead from the front, both on and off the training track. Judging by recent reports, it looks like Ben still has a very lengthy road ahead to recovery.

Yes i reckon he would have the team flying high after a few training sessions running the lines.

What team in their right mind would give a drug addict control of their club ? (barring richmond of course)

Too risky.

Drug addiction takes a long time to get over and some never get over it. The risk as that he drops the ball and starts going on benders. I think he's being optimistic. As a person and football brain I think he'd have lots to offer - but go hold down an assistant role in the WAFL for 3 years and prove you can handle it.

Totally agree with this, just got rid of someone at work who was the same type of user as Ben. Great bloke outgoing personality, it was just too bad he was always sick, his car wouldn't start, he would sleep in etc, and for a while there he was so charismatic we believed it. When he was in at work he did just fine. Some people just need to sort themselves out well and truly before they get inflicted on the rest of the working world.

I really do want to see Ben Cousins be well that's the most important thing.

Why would a club risk offering a position of responsibility to someone with his issues when there are many, many other suitable candidates out there?

I could understand when Richmond took a punt on him as a player because he was an absolute star. As a coach, he's unproven.

I would like to see him have a chance at a lower level, but I have sincere doubts that he would be able to turn it into anything. He has gone off the rails so many times; it would always be in the back of your mind if you employed/worked with him.

That being said; it seems that his longest stretch of sobriety after his sacking from WC was when he was at Richmond - perhaps a footy environment is just what he needs to keep him on the straight and narrow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impression I had when he was at Richmond was that he was a very good tactical thinker and led/coached on the ground by observing what was happening and reacting, but didn't really have a good head for strategy and planning ahead that a coach tends to need.

If he were to be taken on, it'd probably be more as a kind of skills coach to come down for occasional sessions, and on that basis, I'd be happy for him to turn up at Richmond training.

I wouldn't have thought so, he's not saying he wants to be a head coach.

edit: my reply was about talent alone.

but talent alone is far from the main issue - he would have to prove he can be trusted to hold down a role & he wont get that chance at senior level

Would only happen with conditions in place, but it would be good for Cousins and be good for whichever team took the chance.
This may be the thing that gives him a life again that is going to help him remove himself from the illness of addiction.
He needs it, its a long battle , but footy saves the world most of the time . He'd be a hell of an assett.

p.s. It does not help when dick heads like Tom Harley come out and say they would not like there kids being coach by him. Does he really need to say that. It's already gonna be hard for cuz, no need to kick him further.
Ridiculous comment from Harley. I thought he was a bit smarter than that.

Let me preface this with a comment. I have the upmost respect for Ben Cousins the footballer. He's one of my favourite West Coast Eagles of all time. Given that qualification, I have no time or respect for Ben Cousins the person at this time. He's been afforded opportunities not extended to the average person, each time failing to recognise those opportunities.

If Ben Cousins legitimately wants to become a coach then he needs to clean up his personal life and ensure stability for a couple of years. With stability in his life then Cousins should do an apprenticeship through lower leagues ala Scott Watters. Until that happens, I wouldn't entertain the idea of welcoming Ben Cousins into the inner sanctum of any AFL football club.

Baby steps then move forward.

not in the short term, was in court just the other day wasnt he?

his brain would have to be pretty fried now though, once your cooked it doesnt magically go back to normal.

Wont get a gig in AFL circles.
Don,t be judgemental folks, he,s not father Christmas you know.
There are millions and millions of people with drug problems that get a chance in life again .
How many of you drank a few drugs last night, its all the same .

It'd be a good thing for him I think and would probably assist him in his life, and be an asset to a club.

I don't think he's a bad person and everyone deserves second or even third chances. Getting on the front foot this way and wanting to be involved in something positive, rather than stay out of the game and spiral further down with the wrong crowd, might be just what he needs in life.

Whether anyone would take a chance on him is anyone's guess, but separate whatever he does in his private life from his football brain and I think he'd be invaluable.

Who knows, some kids who could be swayed either way in their first few years might even look up to him as a role model for how it can be turned around.

It's not about him though. Nobody's gonna use their professional football club to save a wayward soul, so he'd have to be able to do the job as well as anyone else. I'm just a fan of happy endings, and hope he gets his.

I think he would make and excellent midfield/assistant coach. His knowledge of the game is amazing, and his ability to interact with players and give them advice is second to none. Think he could be an amazing coach

Arguments For:
- Great football brain and one of the best midfielders ever.
- Appears keen to coach
- If he is now clean, would assume he will "preach" the good word
- If he coaches like he played (at least at WCE), you'd expect he'd project the hard work ethic on his players

Arguments Against:
- Can he be trusted, ever again?
- Does he need to prove himself first in a lesser league?
- Is he genuinely fully recovered, and will he relapse?
- Tainted reputation
- Would you want young kids working under him?

All the negative publicity about Cuz is a load of crap, I've met him a few times and he's a genuinely good bloke. He would be an asset to any club and I'd have him back at the Tiges coaching our midfield in a hearbeat.

All the negative publicity about Cuz is a load of crap, I've met him a few times and he's a genuinely good bloke. He would be an asset to any club and I'd have him back at the Tiges coaching our midfield in a hearbeat.
Being a good bloke doesn't make someone a reliable employee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back