Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

In both players ears during the season attempting to poach!

Yet if you actually read the exchange between my post and the other guy, he was implying the AFL should step in for GCS sake if the saints do what Richmond DID! lol, lol, just lol.
Desperate times at the Suns.The AFL/VFL have history.Ironically involving both our clubs in the Lockett saga.So any likely hood of interference from the AFL in regards to King shouldn't be dismissed.
Losing King would be a hammer blow for the Suns & AFL.

Did Richmond not chase GC vice captain Prestia who duly left the suns AND not done there, two years on and the captain Lynch follows suit.

The gaul to write that when Richmond single handedly did their best to bend GC over blows my mind.

To be fair, they did send them Chol, Markov, and Ellis (x2) to help balance it out.

Did Richmond not chase GC vice captain Prestia who duly left the suns AND not done there, two years on and the captain Lynch follows suit.

The gaul to write that when Richmond single handedly did their best to bend GC over blows my mind.
Not sure how we 'bent GC over' given Prestia was a very good player but relatively injury prone (and remains so) and we paid market value for him after he spent 6 years there.

Lynch was leaving as a free agent irrespective of whether it was Richmond or someone else. He viewed it as having served his time, so I'm not sure that is quite comparable to St Kilda trying to extract a bloke coming off a rookie deal.

Also, I think the whole narrative that 'Richmond were in their ear' is a bit misleading when by all accounts we only just managed to get Lynch over the line from Collingwood, and Hawthorn were very much in consideration late in the piece. Prestia would have had plenty of other suitors also and I seem to recall Melbourne having a very good crack. Every club has a crack at whoever they think is movable, they'd be irresponsible not to.

I don't begrudge the Saints for having the gall to have a crack at getting King across. I'm just saying it's a very different situation given barring a catastrophic season you'd be looking at providing a couple of mid-first round picks and.... whatever else? Can't imagine that would be representative of King's value to the GC as their spearhead and budding face of the franchise.

I'm also not suggesting that the AFL 'should' step in, but that they probably will for the aforementioned reasons that if they want a successful franchise in the GC market then they're going to have to be successful on field at some point in time. Growing the revenue pie is the league's primary concern and it isn't as if circumstances haven't been manipulated previously (Ablett to Geelong springs to mind).

Not sure how we 'bent GC over' given Prestia was a very good player but relatively injury prone (and remains so) and we paid market value for him after he spent 6 years there.

Lynch was leaving as a free agent irrespective of whether it was Richmond or someone else. He viewed it as having served his time, so I'm not sure that is quite comparable to St Kilda trying to extract a bloke coming off a rookie deal.

Also, I think the whole narrative that 'Richmond were in their ear' is a bit misleading when by all accounts we only just managed to get Lynch over the line from Collingwood, and Hawthorn were very much in consideration late in the piece. Prestia would have had plenty of other suitors also and I seem to recall Melbourne having a very good crack. Every club has a crack at whoever they think is movable, they'd be irresponsible not to.

I don't begrudge the Saints for having the gall to have a crack at getting King across. I'm just saying it's a very different situation given barring a catastrophic season you'd be looking at providing a couple of mid-first round picks and.... whatever else? Can't imagine that would be representative of King's value to the GC as their spearhead and budding face of the franchise.

I'm also not suggesting that the AFL 'should' step in, but that they probably will for the aforementioned reasons that if they want a successful franchise in the GC market then they're going to have to be successful on field at some point in time. Growing the revenue pie is the league's primary concern and it isn't as if circumstances haven't been manipulated previously (Ablett to Geelong springs to mind).
King is not coming off his “rookie deal”. That ended at the end of 2020.

King is not coming off his “rookie deal”. That ended at the end of 2020.
My apologies, I should have phrased it ‘junior player’ but given the parallels being drawn to Lynch and Prestia, King would be ripping the heart out of GC to a far greater extent than those two ever did. Particularly given the club’s willingness to build around him given the other two had to go through multiple ‘resets’.

I’m pretty bemused by all of the Saints supporters with their perceived god given right to the kid for nothing. It won’t happen. At least not until free agency.

if he leaves he's going to the saints IMO to play with his brother. Would be the missing piece for the bombers tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns will still offer him top dollar.
They’ll probably just offer him the same as what was already in front of him but maybe try and get another year or two added on. What it could do imo is stuff his chance of getting two really highly paid years at GC which he may have wanted to see what direction the club was heading. It’ll either be long term or probably less money

I think this plays into the saints hands.

Now they can also sell to him Max’s rehab program and how they managed to get him back on the park.

It won’t stop clubs offering him a big contract

It probably works (ironically) well for The Suns, he ain’t going to leave after missing the entire season through injury.

That would almost be the biggest dog act from a player switching clubs of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back