Injury Ben Reid injured again

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the theory.

The argument is the twisting and turning. Its a reasonable argument. Defenders tend to run in straight lines more than forwards do. Theoretically at least the risk of soft tissue injury is higher for a forward than a defender. But drawing firm conclusions after one game there (some people claiming "I told you so" is a bit of a stretch.
Maybe. At best its marginal but I think its a furphy. In theory if the ball goes into both forward lines an equal amount, then turning and running back to your own goal as a forward should equate to running back to the opposition's goal if you are playing on a forward. Forwards and backs go a fair way up the ground these days. When the FB kicks out from a behind the defenders face the play and have to turn to go forward so you probably turn more as a back than as a forward. Small forwards probably do twist and turn more and particularly more quickly when the balls on the ground but KP forwards not so much. Reid is more a mark and kick KP forward.

In any case quads are probably more surge and push off injuries than twisting impact injuries. Either way if his body is fragile, it's fragile and he's been injured playing back enough so I just can't see the issue.

Maybe. At best its marginal but I think its a furphy. In theory if the ball goes into both forward lines an equal amount, then turning and running back to your own goal as a forward should equate to running back to the opposition's goal if you are playing on a forward. Forwards and backs go a fair way up the ground these days. When the FB kicks out from a behind the defenders face the play and have to turn to go forward so you probably turn more as a back than as a forward. Small forwards probably do twist and turn more and particularly more quickly when the balls on the ground but KP forwards not so much. Reid is more a mark and kick KP forward.

In any case quads are probably more surge and push off injuries than twisting impact injuries. Either way if his body is fragile, it's fragile and he's been injured playing back enough so I just can't see the issue.

I definitely agree that its a furphy (blaming the injury on going forward) after just one game.

As a general rule though maybe theres something in it. If you get to spend more time on ground facing the way your team is kicking, then theres less twisting and turning.

Great, with Reid out I guess we will get another C grade player in to fill in, oh not Ramsay, please not Ramsay.

Great, with Reid out I guess we will get another C grade player in to fill in, oh not Ramsay, please not Ramsay.

Pitty you did your hammy Jesse! ;)

Nice to see people wishing Reid a speedy recovery!

Some classy people, suggesting to just dump a player because he got injured, hopefully Ben comes out and apologises to you *******s for ruining your day.

Also, get well Ben, been a gun player for years, just had rotten luck.

Late in our game against Greater Western Sydney, Ben suffered a strain to his quad muscle.

“Scans confirmed that on Monday, so he will be missing for, probably, three-to-four weeks, maybe a bit longer.

“We will see how that goes, but it could be four-plus. We will treat that symptomatically as we get through the journey of the rehab period.”.....:hearnoevil:

It could be more than 4 weeks? Why dosent the club just be honest and say, he will be out for 8 weeks. Thats what the above cyptic message is saying. Wouldnt be surprised we dont see him again this year......

Shouldn't have played him forward. Different running patterns and intensities. I don't see it as a coincidence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yes more sudden changes of direction, also with ball usually have to turn around unike in defense where it's straight ahead. Plus defender (I'd say usually oppo #1 for Reid) is constantly trying to hurt you. But I guess it was worht a try but experiment failed.

Late in our game against Greater Western Sydney, Ben suffered a strain to his quad muscle.

“Scans confirmed that on Monday, so he will be missing for, probably, three-to-four weeks, maybe a bit longer.

“We will see how that goes, but it could be four-plus. We will treat that symptomatically as we get through the journey of the rehab period.”.....:hearnoevil:

It could be more than 4 weeks? Why dosent the club just be honest and say, he will be out for 8 weeks. Thats what the above cyptic message is saying. Wouldnt be surprised we dont see him again this year......
Because muscle rehab is an inexact science?

Can't really blame Walsh for not committing to a specific timeframe, because if he's out for longer then you'll be screaming that you've been lied to. He's really damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with these kind of reports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought people were taking the mickey when they theorized that a move forward contributed to Reid's calf strain. Looks like I was wrong.

For all you "forward move caused quad strain" thoerists, please be informed that the typical way a footballer strains a quad is in the kicking action itself.

And for those who think defending has less twisting and turning and more straight lines, think about who gets to decide where they run and turn first. In a one on one, defenders have to react to forward players moving, so there is an argument they are subject to more dynamic movements. But it is not relevant anyway...

Poster: "If Buckley doesn't play Reid Forward, he should be sacked"
Poster: Playing Reid Forward caused Reid's injury, Buckley should be sacked"
You know that those two 'quotes' are from different supporters, right?

Poster: "If Buckley doesn't play Reid Forward, he should be sacked"
Poster: Playing Reid Forward caused Reid's injury, Buckley should be sacked"
The solution to this apparent paradox is that many if not most posters have poor understanding of footy (but think they do). Might as well just enjoy the banter because many opinions are not worth taking seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back