Best 22 Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayes, Cavarra and Weightman all sound like they'll be pushing for spots Round 1, so could see a few changes from our finals side of last year.

Lewis Young also seems like he's still not ready, while Lachie Young could very well be ready for consistent AFL time

Yeah pretty sure the MC will be picking round one team from a third gear hit out on a pre season trip.

And add to that Bev has been more than consistent in his selections year in year out so the evidence mounts up to massive changes 🤦🏼‍♂️

Yeah pretty sure the MC will be picking round one team from a third gear hit out on a pre season trip.

And add to that Bev has been more than consistent in his selections year in year out so the evidence mounts up to massive changes 🤦🏼‍♂️
Yeah that's what I said. Comprehension skills still top notch ay

Weightman will be a lock for Round 1. Do not see Cavarra or Hayes making the best 22 at all unless we have a bad injury run.

Every season there's one or two players who seemingly 'come from nowhere' to get senior games. I suspect this season will be no different, so to rule anybody out at this stage is unwise. Probably most of the opening 22 are already set but who knows what Bev and the other selectors have in mind. He's given us plenty of surprises in the past!

B: Wood, Trengove, JJ
HB: Crozier, Keath, Suckling
C: Daniel Macrae, Smith
HF: McLean, Naughton, Lloyd
FF: Hunter, Bruce, Dale
Foll: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: Richards, Wallis, Lipinski, Shache

I'd like to see Daniel up the ground more and able to use his precise kicking skills. Would hopefully make our forwards life a touch easier. Hunter in the forward line, makes him have to tackle and show intensity. As much as he annoys me with his accumulative possessions the kid can play and I think with his smarts would be dangerous up forward.

Wood - Trengove - Duryea
Crozier - Keath - Suckling
Johannisen - Dunkley - Hunter
Lloyd - Naughton - Lipinski
Dale - Bruce - Wallis

English - Bontempelli - Macrae

Daniel - Hayes - Liberatore - B.Smith

I'm hoping one of Weightman or Cavarra can break into the team as an additional small forward.
McLean and Richards will probably be in the best 22, but for me they have to show more to justify a spot.
Hayes is low-key good for team balance. Provides that outside gut running.
I'm also hoping one of Williams or maybe even Lynch rise up to take Suckling's spot at some point in the season. Williams in particular proved his quality in 2018.
Trengove over Cordy for some added physical presence in defence, but we all know Bevo loves Zaine.

Last edited:
Wood - Trengove - Duryea
Crozier - Keath - Suckling
Johannisen - Dunkley - Hunter
Lloyd - Naughton - Lipinski
Dale - Bruce - Wallis

Daniel - Hayes - Liberatore - B.Smith

I'm hoping one of Weightman or Cavarra can break into the team as an additional small forward.
McLean and Richards will probably be in the best 22, but for me they have to show more to justify a spot.
Hayes is low-key good for team balance. Provides that outside gut running that helps team balance.
I'm also hoping one of Williams or maybe even Lynch rise up to take Suckling's spot at some point in the season. Williams in particular proved his quality in 2018.
Trengove over Cordy for some added physical presence in defence, but we all know Bevo loves Zaine.
There’s a paywalled article on the HUN website stating JJ tips Weightman for a round 1 debut.

There’s a paywalled article on the HUN website stating JJ tips Weightman for a round 1 debut.

Jason Johannisen has been impressed with what he’s seen from the Western Bulldogs’ top draft selection Cody Weightman and is tipping the “little pocket rocket” to break into the senior team as early as Round 1.

Western Bulldogs small forward Cody Weightman will push for a Round 1 debut alongside recruits Josh Bruce and Alex Keath despite massive selection pressure at the Kennel.

Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen backed Weightman’s claims, saying November’s No.15 draft pick was already pushing his name forward for an early debut.

The electric small forward was recruited to fit a specific need but will need to prove himself in the Marsh Community Series given excellent availability at the Whitten Oval.

Tom Liberatore (knee), Taylor Duryea (groin surgery) and draftee Riley Garcia (knee reconstruction) are the only players not able to take part in last Sunday’s match simulation in Queensland.

Keath and Bruce both played strongly as star tall Aaron Naughton returned from a serious knee concern to show he had made a full recovery.

Johannisen said he was thrilled how quickly 2019 All Australian and Dandenong Stringrays goalkicker Weightman adjusted to the pace of the game even after a strong summer on the track.

“He is a little pocket rocket. He has always got plenty of energy. He has surprised me with his ability and quickness and ability to jump. He can jump so high. He has the chance to take a mark of the year in his career. The club looks after the first-year boys but he’s doing the bulk of the work and he performed well in match simulation,” he said.

“He goes after the game like crazy so he’s been awesome. The way Bevo (Luke Beveridge) is with your selection, if you are good enough you can get a chance.”

The Dogs take on North Melbourne in a February 21 Marsh Community Series clash then Port Adelaide on March 7 in South Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always surprises in team selection for Round 1, so I've tried predicting some of the upcoming players who might actually be in the side

FB: Easton Wood - Alex Keath - Jason Johannisen
HB: Hayden Crozier - Zaine Cordy - Caleb Daniel

C: Ed Richards - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter

HF: Sam Lloyd - Aaron Naughton - Josh Schache
FF: Bailey Dale - Josh Bruce - Cody Weightman

R: Tim English - Jack Macrae - Josh Dunkley

I/C: Patrick Lipinski - Mitch Wallis - Bailey Smith - Lachie Young

Feels wrong leaving Suckling out, but I'm picking Lachie Young to play a lot more senior footy this year. He seems the most logical replacement for Suckling long term with that insane leg of his. Couldn't find a spot for McLean no matter how hard I tried

Would love to see Caleb up the ground onto a wing or even in the guts. His kicking in the forward half would be amazing for us. Just not sure his body type fits the position.

Would love to see Caleb up the ground onto a wing or even in the guts. His kicking in the forward half would be amazing for us. Just not sure his body type fits the position.
I think it will be a struggle to find his best position purely because of his size. With his traits on paper, he'd be an amazing half forward (responsible for delivery rather than finishing) but I still worry about his size and the fact that intercept defenders seem to be all the rage right now, which would probably shut him down pretty hard. Still, seems worth a try to see how he goes there, because if it pays off then it will pay off big

A lot of people want to see Daniel up the ground because of his vision and delivery. It's such an appealing thought to have Naughton, Schache, Bruce, Lloyd, Dale or Dickson getting lace out passes inside 50.

The trouble is he has to get the ball first and that's a bit harder for a very short bloke playing wing or half forward. In defence he is the bloke they look for to make an effective transition so he gets off the chain and fed the ball a fair bit. And mostly he uses it very well.

While he's quite capable of doing OK further forward (and could yet end up playing there as his career progresses) it's no coincidence that he has played his best football so far in defence. I doubt Bevo will play him anywhere but defence in Rd 1.

I believe this is the best list we have had for a long time depth, class age profile. Better than 2016 just need a tough edge and to play for each other and we could do big things this season. I could fit about 30 players in a best 22 if all fit so I will not even try to predict the 22.

I believe this is the best list we have had for a long time depth, class age profile. Better than 2016 just need a tough edge and to play for each other and we could do big things this season. I could fit about 30 players in a best 22 if all fit so I will not even try to predict the 22.
With most lists, you could probably lock in around 20 players in their best 22 whose spots are without doubt. Usually there's only a couple of spots that are flexible.

With us, it feels like maybe 15 or so players are "locks", with a third of the side being filled by various players who wouldn't necessarily look out of place for being picked.

Obviously, any day of the week, we go with the following:

Keath
Crozier
JJ
Hunter
Bont
Macrae
Dunkley
English
Bruce
Naughton
Lloyd
Smith

Then there's blokes like Libba, Daniel, Suckling, Wood, Wallis, Lipinski and Cordy who are selected majority of weeks unless something odd happens. We then have Dale, Schache, McLean, Richards, or even Hayes on a wing who could realistically be picked.

So much uncertainty around who is our "best 22", and I think that's owed partially to the depth we now have, as well as a lack of clarity on who the real guns in the team are. We don't have a locked in back 6 or forward 6 like most clubs do. Hopefully we see a more clear picture of our best 22 this year

With most lists, you could probably lock in around 20 players in their best 22 whose spots are without doubt. Usually there's only a couple of spots that are flexible.

With us, it feels like maybe 15 or so players are "locks", with a third of the side being filled by various players who wouldn't necessarily look out of place for being picked.

Obviously, any day of the week, we go with the following:

Keath
Crozier
JJ
Hunter
Bont
Macrae
Dunkley
English
Bruce
Naughton
Lloyd
Smith

Then there's blokes like Libba, Daniel, Suckling, Wood, Wallis, Lipinski and Cordy who are selected majority of weeks unless something odd happens. We then have Dale, Schache, McLean, Richards, or even Hayes on a wing who could realistically be picked.

So much uncertainty around who is our "best 22", and I think that's owed partially to the depth we now have, as well as a lack of clarity on who the real guns in the team are. We don't have a locked in back 6 or forward 6 like most clubs do. Hopefully we see a more clear picture of our best 22 this year
Good post, although I'd need to see more of Keath before he qualifies for the top bracket.

Going into Feb we look very well structured in both teams.

With Libba and Duryea both looking like rounds 2-5 return

Only positions I am worried about is Trengrove and his lack of pace and delivery so maybe Cordy comes in for him.

Ruck looks way better with Bruce in the team.

AFL

Wood - Trengove - Crozier
JJ - Keath - Williams
Smith- Dunkley - Hunter
McLean- Naughton - Lipinski
Dale - Bruce - Weightman

Daniel - Wallis- Jong - Dickson

Emerg: Loyd-Schache-Richards-Suckling

VFL

Loyd-Gardiner-Green

Lynch-Schache-Gowers

Hayes-Richards-Butler

Prudden-Young-Young

Suckling-Cordy-Smith

Sweet West Cavarra

Khamis-Porter-Drummond-Nash-Scott-Wallis

Injured -Duryea-Vandermere-Libba

Good post, although I'd need to see more of Keath before he qualifies for the top bracket.
Yeah that's completely fair. Despite only having 30 career games, he really impressed me last year (even winning the Showdown Medal) so I'm fairly confident he's a lock going forward. Of course, we need to see how he gels with this group first. Same goes for Bruce. I am confident in both of them though

Going into Feb we look very well structured in both teams.

With Libba and Duryea both looking like rounds 2-5 return

Only positions I am worried about is Trengrove and his lack of pace and delivery so maybe Cordy comes in for him.

Ruck looks way better with Bruce in the team.

AFL

Wood - Trengove - Crozier
JJ - Keath - Williams
Smith- Dunkley - Hunter
McLean- Naughton - Lipinski
Dale - Bruce - Weightman

Daniel - Wallis- Jong - Dickson

Emerg: Loyd-Schache-Richards-Suckling

VFL

Loyd-Gardiner-Green

Lynch-Schache-Gowers

Hayes-Richards-Butler

Prudden-Young-Young

Suckling-Cordy-Smith

Sweet West Cavarra

Khamis-Porter-Drummond-Nash-Scott-Wallis

Injured -Duryea-Vandermere-Libba
If MD sees you putting Jong in the side and Lloyd as an emergency, he's going to have an aneurysm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back