Best kick for goal ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

What shouldn't be overlooked with the great forwards of the past is that often they were kicking for goal in sub standard grounds with little to no drainage, mud 3 inches deep and water logged balls. They didn't have the luxury of todays players and the balls being constantly rotated and playing on grounds that for the most part are in perfect conditions.

What shouldn't be overlooked with the great forwards of the past is that often they were kicking for goal in sub standard grounds with little to no drainage, mud 3 inches deep and water logged balls. They didn't have the luxury of todays players and the balls being constantly rotated and playing on grounds that for the most part are in perfect conditions.

And their numbers still embarrass the majority if not all modern day players I'd imagine. Anyone saying players like Buddy or whoever else is deluded.

Plugger the best. Dunstall and Hudson elite too.

Only modern day players that would come close to entering the convo would be Matty Lloyd (hate praising him but a very good set shot) or maybe Fev but not sure on their %'s.

And their numbers still embarrass the majority if not all modern day players I'd imagine. Anyone saying players like Buddy or whoever else is deluded.

Plugger the best. Dunstall and Hudson elite too.

Only modern day players that would come close to entering the convo would be Matty Lloyd (hate praising him but a very good set shot) or maybe Fev but not sure on their %'s.

I have to say, G Coventry outclasses them all. Played in the day when there was one umpire and backman could and did everything legal and illegal to stop the forward. Plus suburban grounds with no drainage.

The advent of 2 and then 3 umpires helped forwards immensely.

Theres so many variables to this argument.

Back in the day it was poorer playing conditions
Today the players are running alot more hence kicking with high amounts of fatigue etc.

One thing that is sure is that back in the day, a full forward was a full forward. Theyre training consisted of kicking at goal and kicking at goal. These days players get very little time to just practice their set shotss.

I have no doubt that players were far more accurate in the 90's and earlier however they had alot more practice and repetitions to get it right.

It bemuses me why clubs dont make or allow players more time to work on their goal kicking

Maybe, but Buddy takes and kicks a lot of shots that most forwards wouldn't even contemplate.

And that has always frustrated me with buddy because countless times he has taken shots for goal he really has no right too or such a low percentage chance of converting when he should be centering or looking for a player in a better position.

Maybe, but Buddy takes and kicks a lot of shots that most forwards wouldn't even contemplate.
Very true...it would be fascinating to see a shot chart for his entire career... he has absolutely butchered gettable goals and kicked the impossible. Id guess that he has missed more "sitters" than he has kicked miracles.

If buddy was more accurate,it wouldnt mean hed kick less miracles he just wouldnt miss as many. In any case buddy will be well entrenched in the top 10 for goals for the rest of time but he isnt anywhere near one of the most accurate

And that has always frustrated me with buddy because countless times he has taken shots for goal he really has no right too or such a low percentage chance of converting when he should be centering or looking for a player in a better position.
He passes alot more off than most key forward as well...he really is a fascinating player. He really is the lebron james of our game, technically hes not a very good "shooter" but you cannot stop him from scoring

He passes alot more off than most key forward as well...he really is a fascinating player. He really is the lebron james of our game, technically hes not a very good "shooter" but you cannot stop him from scoring

What is not debatable is that he is a once in a generation player the likes we will be likely to never see again..... until the next buddy comes along haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say, G Coventry outclasses them all. Played in the day when there was one umpire and backman could and did everything legal and illegal to stop the forward. Plus suburban grounds with no drainage.

The advent of 2 and then 3 umpires helped forwards immensely.
Was has that got to do with his kicking for goal, though?

All that needs to be offset against modern flooding which forces a lot more ball into the pockets. Modern forwards are likely kicking from angles their counterparts from 30+ years ago were not, as one-on-one contests right in front of goals are not often a thing these days. Then there is the tired legs because you are part of a unit expected to run, chase, and fill holes up the ground when flooding your opponent's forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back