Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he was. Managed and made sub is dropped for me.

Bews was on the receiving end of a Ben Brown knee to the upper leg & would have been on lite duties the following week - so managed & restricted match time makes sense

We've used the sub role as the management option for multiple senior players this year, while those who haven't been in great form have been omitted/dropped and gone back to the VFL

Bews is the guy we want when playing teams like Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney etc, all of whom have dangerous small forwards as he's our go to guy to match up on them

Bews was on the receiving end of a Ben Brown knee to the upper leg & would have been on lite duties the following week - so managed & restricted match time makes sense

We've used the sub role as the management option for multiple senior players this year, while those who haven't been in great form have been omitted/dropped and gone back to the VFL

Bews is the guy we want when playing teams like Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney etc, all of whom have dangerous small forwards as he's our go to guy to match up on them

If he was actually managed, he wouldn't have played at all. Like Zach Guthrie and Gryan Miers earlier in the year, he was omitted, but "managed" on the team sheet.

I'm all good if Bews plays, great option to have, but 9 doesn't go into 6.

From this 9, which 6 are you picking?
Bews, Kolodjashnij, Z. Guthrie, O'Connor, Homles, Parfitt, Menegola, Miers, Rohan

If he was actually managed, he wouldn't have played at all. Like Zach Guthrie and Gryan Miers earlier in the year, he was omitted, but "managed" on the team sheet.

Bews, Kolodjashnij, Z. Guthrie, O'Connor, Homles, Parfitt, Menegola, Miers, Rohan

Bews, Holmes, Parfitt, Rohan - then tossing a coin between Menegola, Miers & Zuthrie for the last two spots

I reckon at least 2 of JK, O’Connor, Bews and Zach need to be in. Only one I’m absolutely certain should play is Holmes.

Rohan’s the last one I’d play in Finals, for obvious reasons.

The obvious reason being that our midfield has gone to s**t in previous finals, but somehow it's our forwards who cop s**t instead?

2022 has a different feel to previous years, and also presents a different situation for a player like Rohan - due to missing the pre-season & start of the year, Rohan may actually be one player running into form come finals as he's still relatively fresh compared with others who've been going at it for 20+ weeks

Holmes Menegola Parfitt Bews are my locks and i would personally pick Rohan and MOC but we will pick kolo so miers or moc will probably miss out.

The obvious reason being that our midfield has gone to s**t in previous finals, but somehow it's our forwards who cop s**t instead?

2022 has a different feel to previous years, and also presents a different situation for a player like Rohan - due to missing the pre-season & start of the year, Rohan may actually be one player running into form come finals as he's still relatively fresh compared with others who've been going at it for 20+ weeks

You know the obvious reason. I won’t make excuses for him.

I know he’ll play, so the good thing is we’ll find out if he’s ready. I hope he makes me look like a ******* moron this September, but he’s done a great job proving me right in prior years.

Holmes Menegola Parfitt Bews are my locks and i would personally pick Rohan and MOC but we will pick kolo so miers or moc will probably miss out.

I think Menegola should play too, his work rate to help the defence, provide a get out option and go forward helps us break some of the goal avalanches we concede. Parfitt yes. 2 way player.

I think Miers is finding his form, will be important in September. Rohan’s a known entity, I wouldn’t persist. MOC, Bews, Kolo. Pick 2.

Zach’s unlucky, but most similar to Stewart. Other defenders provide more.

Zuthrie and Parfitt very stiff. MC love MOC

Edit: I have been a huge fan of Parfitt but he is not match fit. Will likely come in during finals.

#2 Just noticed we have Homles playing for us. Is he a new guy?

Last edited:
I think it would be big a mistake to drop Miers, although I do agree he may well be in the gun.

Watching him live is quite something. I'm not sure I've seen a player cover so much ground defensively for no obvious reward.

I've developed an odd fascination watching him run simply to fill up space that the opposition can then no longer use as an option. And the speed / reaction time he does this is extraordinary, particularly when we turn over the ball over in an awkward spot. Reading the play doesn't just look like Stewart taking intercept marks.

And he does this tirelessly for the entire game. There’s no other player on the list that could do that (minus Blitz, of course. …but he is now otherwise occupied).

Sure he might butcher the ball occasionally, but I think that’s a price the MC are understandably willing to pay, given the ground he covers to frustrate the opposition simply by instantly occupying their dangerous space.

This is particularly important this year given the risks we are taking with the ball, increasing the likelihood of turning the ball over ourselves.

Nothing that would trouble champion data clearly, but in my humble opinion, the role he plays is invaluable against sides that depend on moving the ball quickly. He’s a serious team player who’s largely swallowed his ego to do a pretty unglamorous job.

I’d agree Miers gets in, for the above mentioned reasons and his creativity is useful on those transition plays.

I find his fumbles and inexplicable turnovers very frustrating but I think he will play.

Unsure why MOC a lock every week .
He's cost us goals at times
Has not improved this year .
Not fit enough to get opp mids..

Kolo can clang it up and cost us goals aswell.
Played well last week.

Zach Guthrie.
Has improved heaps this year .
Had a quiet game .
So prob dropped for Stewart.

Mires needs to iron out those fumbles etc.
He's link up work can be good .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would be big a mistake to drop Miers, although I do agree he may well be in the gun.

Watching him live is quite something. I'm not sure I've seen a player cover so much ground defensively for no obvious reward.

I've developed an odd fascination watching him run simply to fill up space that the opposition can then no longer use as an option. And the speed / reaction time he does this is extraordinary, particularly when we turn over the ball over in an awkward spot. Reading the play doesn't just look like Stewart taking intercept marks.

And he does this tirelessly for the entire game. There’s no other player on the list that could do that (minus Blitz, of course. …but he is now otherwise occupied).

Sure he might butcher the ball occasionally, but I think that’s a price the MC are understandably willing to pay, given the ground he covers to frustrate the opposition simply by instantly occupying their dangerous space.

This is particularly important this year given the risks we are taking with the ball, increasing the likelihood of turning the ball over ourselves.

Nothing that would trouble champion data clearly, but in my humble opinion, the role he plays is invaluable against sides that depend on moving the ball quickly. He’s a serious team player who’s largely swallowed his ego to do a pretty unglamorous job.
Good observation. When you only see it on the screen (like me) you see him bob up all over the place without being able to see the full vision.

B: Stewart, De Koning, Bews
HB: Tuohy, Henry, Z Guthrie
C: Duncan, Atkins, Smith
HF: Holmes, Cameron, Miers
FF: Close, Hawkins, Stengle
R: Stanley, Dangerfield, Guthrie
INT: Selwood, Blicavs, Parfitt, Rohan

Honestly, I do not know how to fit in Kolo and O'Connor. Which is a reasonable problem to have.

Honestly, I do not know how to fit in Kolo and O'Connor. Which is a reasonable problem to have.
I assume one will ultimately get picked ahead of Zuthrie, although i'd probably have both behind him, like you.

Menegola also not getting a game. Miers the other who is in danger, but he's been ok the past few weeks and offers a point of difference.

Pretty strong as long as everyone stays on the park.

100% agree with this team.

Kolo makes me extremely nervous under pressure. Zuthrie is far more versatile.

100% agree with this team.

Kolo makes me extremely nervous under pressure. Zuthrie is far more versatile.
Zuthrie always looked to me like an AFL player in an Auskick body - same with Sam Simpson, to be honest. And no that is not a reference to their Mad Monday get-up.

Kolo has a bit of the Zac Dawsons about him - reliable, has a dip, but ultimately limited.

Menegola also not getting a game. Miers the other who is in danger, but he's been ok the past few weeks and offers a point of difference.
Yeah, I think Menegola has been pushed out.

He's not a natural forward - and the chemistry/balance between Miers, Stengle and Close has been exceptional.

Menegola and Parfitt are probably fighting for the same last midfield spot IMO, though they are quite different players. Parfitt probably wins it because we already have a number of classy outside types (Duncan, Tuohy, Smith, Holmes).

That game should make it clear in peoples minds why parfitt and menegola are best 22 in the coaches minds.

Im also starting to warm to zuthrie he is really earning his spot. However i think with three mids to come back in we have to drop at least one defender so moc (i doubt kolo gets dropped) would have to go for zuthrie to stay in. We also might be carrying one forward too many if rohan comes back in.

For me the best 22 from tonights team is danger selwood and blitz in and dahlhaus moc and miers (unlucky) back out. Have to drop one more for rohan. Buggered if i know who. The dropped guys are the emergencies plus ceglar. But anyone dropped is unlucky we have real competition for spots.

In years gone by we’d play the extra defender over another midfielder. I hope they are brave and give us the attacking weapons we need.

I agree. We need the midfield runners to keep playing the attacking gameplan we are. As much as i think all of our defenders are good players we are more likely to win a flag if we drop one or two to get our mids back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back