Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Be close. Cant find a spot for Simpson?

Honestly, forgot Simmo. Reckon it'd be him instead of Evans in the emergencies - possibly in the 22 instead of a senior player like Rohan maybe - as I do think Stephens, Stengle and SDK will play Round 1, given the hype they've been getting this pre-season.

Last edited:
I doubt Simpson, Evans, Narkle will get a round 1 selection.

Unless one of them becomes the medi sub, but that has Shaun Higgins name all over it for me.

Poor humour on my part.

No probs ...he may well be the one looked at..although at his age..I hope he can hang in and show some midfield potential. The important thing is to be specific on who we feel are our future players and pump the games into them. Id like to see a couple of fresh names each week, so that by years end we have a solid idea on what we have. To that end..Higgins for mine will have to play out of his socks to get a game.. cant see the long term gain in it.

Honestly, forgot Simmo. Reckon it'd be him instead of Evans in the emergencies - possibly in the 22 instead of a senior player like Rohan maybe - as I do think Stephens. Stengle and SDK will play Round 1, given the hype they've been getting this pre-season.

I can see those two but I hope CS can push in as well while we have injuries. Miers, Menegola, Henry.. will all press for their spot back at some stage ... and Simpson or CS or Evans or whoever..if they do not find a way to break in ..eventually they get passed over.

I know there's been talk this year about the club prioritising youth, but I don't see it happening. The average age of our list this year (25.0) is actually slightly older than last year (24.8).

7/10 blokes we got rid of in the off-season were 22 or younger. The only 30+ we got rid of were Jenkins and Henderson.

We still have Ceglar, Stanley, Danger, Tuohy, Smith, Hawkins, Selwood and Higgins on the list who were 30+ at the start of last season. We'll add Menegola, Duncan, Rohan and Blicavs as 30 year olds by the start of this season. Dahlhaus and Guthrie turn 30 in August. That's 14 blokes on our list over 30, 10 blokes under 20.

The players we need to prioritise this year are the 21-28 year olds:

De Koning, Stephens, Miers, Stengle, Henry, Close, Ratugolea, Guthrie, Simpson, Parfitt, Narkle, O'Connor, Atkins, Kolodjashnij, Bews, Cameron, Stewart.

The best 22 really should look like the below:

FB: Z.GUTHRIE, BLICAVS, DE KONING
HB: BEWS, KOLODJASHNIJ, STEWART
C: CLOSE, C.GUTHRIE, DUNCAN
HF: DANGERFIELD, CAMERON, SIMPSON
FF: STENGLE, HAWKINS, EVANS
1R: RATUGOLEA, NARKLE, PARFITT

INT: SELWOOD, O'CONNOR, STEPHENS, ATKINS

That's leaving out Ceglar, Stanley, Tuohy, Smith (very stiff, could prob include), Higgins, Rohan and Dahlhaus (and Henry, Miers & Menegola due to injury).

That's leaving out Ceglar, Stanley, Tuohy, Smith (very stiff, could prob include), Higgins, Rohan and Dahlhaus (and Henry, Miers & Menegola due to injury).
I see Isaac Smith as comfortably inside the top 10 players at the club right now. No way in the world he should be left out of our team in 2022, based on last year's output. And I believe we will get an almighty hiding in the ruck most weeks if Rata is our #1 choice there.

Apart from those two (and Tuohy, who may well still be worthy of a spot), I can agree about the others.

I see Isaac Smith as comfortably inside the top 10 players at the club right now. No way in the world he should be left out of our team in 2022, based on last year's output. And I believe we will get an almighty hiding in the ruck most weeks if Rata is our #1 choice there.

Apart from those two (and Tuohy, who may well still be worthy of a spot), I can agree about the others.
We're not winning a flag with Stanley in the ruck anyway.

I know there's been talk this year about the club prioritising youth, but I don't see it happening. The average age of our list this year (25.0) is actually slightly older than last year (24.8).

7/10 blokes we got rid of in the off-season were 22 or younger. The only 30+ we got rid of were Jenkins and Henderson.

We still have Ceglar, Stanley, Danger, Tuohy, Smith, Hawkins, Selwood and Higgins on the list who were 30+ at the start of last season. We'll add Menegola, Duncan, Rohan and Blicavs as 30 year olds by the start of this season. Dahlhaus and Guthrie turn 30 in August. That's 14 blokes on our list over 30, 10 blokes under 20.

De Koning, Stephens, Miers, Stengle, Henry, Close, Ratugolea, Guthrie, Simpson, Parfitt, Narkle, O'Connor, Atkins, Kolodjashnij, Bews, Cameron, Stewart.

This is the sort of team that I reckon will run out in 3/4 years time.

Not this year though. Smith and Tuohy should be getting matches.

I agree with almost all of that (except narkle in the 22 and esava he needs to play fwd because hes a terrible ruck and smith should stay in as hes at the top of his game, a lot of the other older 30s id be fine with dropping) but i would point out ira dangerous to look at raw numbers in age stats..its more accurate to look at the average age of the likely best 22..the reality is higgins, dahl, ceglar/stanley will spend a lot of time in the vfl and i would expect rohan may join them so that brings the average age of the best 22 down a fair bit.

Yes but rata is worse as a ruck and id argue it stunts his development he needs to play as a kpf for when hawkins retires.

Stanley/ceglar need to be a placeholder in the seniors for 2 years until conway or neale are ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhys got us all the way to the GF in 2020. Seriously can't see how any of the other current listed rucks could manage anything like the same in 2022.

And, based on last year's 'form', Rata is light years off making it as a serious ruck in the AFL. Looks like forward or bust for him now to me.

Ok but the report isn't just that Higgins is fit and firing. It's that he's our best on track..
Whatever that means in Feb... grain of salt stuff... maybe he needs to impress?

No Max Holmes? must be one of your best kids coming through rapidly improving from where he was 12 months ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back