Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

That game should make it clear in peoples minds why parfitt and menegola are best 22 in the coaches minds.

Im also starting to warm to zuthrie he is really earning his spot. However i think with three mids to come back in we have to drop at least one defender so moc (i doubt kolo gets dropped) would have to go for zuthrie to stay in. We also might be carrying one forward too many if rohan comes back in.

For me the best 22 from tonights team is danger selwood and blitz in and dahlhaus moc and miers (unlucky) back out. Have to drop one more for rohan. Buggered if i know who. The dropped guys are the emergencies plus ceglar. But anyone dropped is unlucky we have real competition for spots.

I'd have Zuthrie a fair way ahead of MOC. Superior skills, more composed, and a better decision-maker. It's reached a point with MOC where I have little faith in him not to fumble when the ball is below his knees. He's quite miserly defensively, but so is Zuthrie, except Zuthrie offers more going the other way on top of that. The only argument I can see in favour of MOC is if the match committee prefer him over Zuthrie when it comes to running with smaller opponents. But I think we have enough cover for those types anyway, and Zuthrie is versatile enough to play on different match-ups.

B: Bews, DeKoning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Henry, Duncan
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Holmes
HF: Tuohy, Cameron, Close
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, Selwood, C.Guthrie

Int: Parfitt, Miers, Atkins, Kolojashnij
Emergencies?

From tonight’s side:

In: Dangerfield, Selwood, Blicavs, Rohan

Out: Dahlhaus, O’Connor, ????, ????

For me zuthrie and miers the last 2 out but both desperately unlucky. We have great depth.

For me zuthrie and miers the last 2 out but both desperately unlucky. We have great depth.
desparately unlucky. But whovever those last few out are going to be players who deserve to be part of the flag.

Same for every premiership team (think about those few who missed Melbourne‘s Gf team last year).

I think we might be surprised and Miers will NOT miss out. Even though he has his “issues” he offers things that not one else does so in some sense not really competing for that spot? Others who might be better than Miers might get squeezed out by “similar types”

This is what it feels like for a great team.

People really need to come to terms with Zuthrie being our third best defender.

On current form he is a lock.

third best defender?

Out of

Stewart, Tuohy, De Koning, Henry, Bews, Kolo, O'Connor, which are the only two that you would have ahead of him?

Also I disagree with your use of the word 'lock'. He is just a fringe player that you would choose to select.
Otherwise, the playing list would have more than 22 "locks", which is simply not possible.

He is behind De Koning, Stewart, Tuohy, Duncan, CGuthrie, Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood, Stanley, Blicavs, Cameron, Hawkins, Stengle, Henry, Close, Atkins in terms of who is selected each week.

The word 'lock' should be reserved for players like Hawkins / Cameron / Stewart / CGuthrie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

desparately unlucky. But whovever those last few out are going to be players who deserve to be part of the flag.

Same for every premiership team (think about those few who missed Melbourne‘s Gf team last year).

I think we might be surprised and Miers will NOT miss out. Even though he has his “issues” he offers things that not one else does so in some sense not really competing for that spot? Others who might be better than Miers might get squeezed out by “similar types”

Agree on the unlucky bit.

Re miers i can see why coaches will want him for his power running but i cant see who else to drop for rohan.

We need our strongest midfield to win the flag so we cant be picking extra forwards and defenders at the expense of mid rotations imo.

B: Bews De koning Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henry Stewart
C: Smith C Guthrie Menegola
HF: Close Cameron Holmes
F: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R: Stanley Danger Parfitt
Int: Selwood Blicavs Duncan Atkins
Sub: Zuthrie
Emg: Ceglar MOC Miers Dahlhaus

Zuthrie and moc unlucky but with 6 defenders plus atkins and duncan able to play back there we dont need an extra defender. This side prioritises extra midfield rotations to power run over the top of finals opponents. I actually really want miers in but i dont know which forward to drop him in and i think structurally we need rohan. 2 or 3 guys will be very unlucky to miss this side.

Discussing which of 3 or 4 players are the 2 that will miss out is really semantics, honestly every single one of them deserve selection and some wont be.
Be it Miers or Zuthrie or even Atkins, they all deserve a spot well within the 22 yet 28 doesn't fit into 22.
It sucks, we're gunna see a bloke miss out who absolutely shouldn't have.

Only one way to do this:
Here are the locks for Best 22, in that they are named when available as a guarantee.

Bews
SDK
Stewart
2E
Henry
Kolo
Holmes
Menegola
Duncan
Close
Atkins
Rohan
Cam Guthrie
Stanley
Selwood
Dangerfield
Parfitt
Hawkins
Cameron
Stengle
Blicavs
Smith

Everyone else is desperately unlucky.
Rohan, Menegola, Kolo and 2E are the closest to non-selection imo. But MC says they are in historically.

Zuthrie, MOC and Miers SUPER unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree re Miers. The 3 small s have a special synergy between them.
Miers the connecter
Close the distributor
Stengel the finisher.

I know I said above it's semantics, but I actually have Rohan out for finals.
Yup he was pretty good since coming back but I have huge doubts over his form in finals over his career, and it's a role that's far far easier to cover than a hard running link up winger (Menegola) or a really good defensive intercepting back (Zuthrie).
If a hard call needs to be made I reckon he could miss out.

third best defender?

Out of

Stewart, Tuohy, De Koning, Henry, Bews, Kolo, O'Connor, which are the only two that you would have ahead of him?

Also I disagree with your use of the word 'lock'. He is just a fringe player that you would choose to select.
Otherwise, the playing list would have more than 22 "locks", which is simply not possible.

He is behind De Koning, Stewart, Tuohy, Duncan, CGuthrie, Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood, Stanley, Blicavs, Cameron, Hawkins, Stengle, Henry, Close, Atkins in terms of who is selected each week.

The word 'lock' should be reserved for players like Hawkins / Cameron / Stewart / CGuthrie.
Stewart and De Koning.

Tuohy has not played much backline this season, you could argue Henry is better and I would cede that but it is marginal. Bews plays a good lockdown role but I'd take Zuthrie over him for what he adds to our zonal structure.

Kolo and MOC no where near Zuthrie. MOC has been especially unconvincing this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back