Best team to not win it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoulda, coulda haha...but yeah, I don't think you could be any more relieved when it comes to football to see your team win by a solitary point after losing by 4 points the year before. Losing that QF in Perth to Sydney after finishing on top was a bit of a worry, but we knew we still had a chance it would be close. Goodes also won the Brownlow. In 2005 Cousins won the Brownlow and we won the QF and went on to lose the GF, so it was like everything was flipped.
Oh yeah, you take gifts from the footy gods without question - wouldn't be grinning about 2008 even now if I didn't! And they were definitely the 2 best teams, marginally ahead of Adelaide - 1-1 was a fair split. I thought it was a bit of a lull period - none of those sides were anywhere near Brisbane/Port before, and Geelong afterwards, a bit like we're experiencing now - but a flag is a flag...

Oh yeah, you take gifts from the footy gods without question - wouldn't be grinning about 2008 even now if I didn't! And they were definitely the 2 best teams, marginally ahead of Adelaide - 1-1 was a fair split. I thought it was a bit of a lull period - none of those sides were anywhere near Brisbane/Port before, and Geelong afterwards, a bit like we're experiencing now - but a flag is a flag...

Adelaide under Neil Craig were like the best defensive side in history at that point in time (as they kept harping on about), but imo lacked the firepower. Then again we won a premiership with a very ordinary forward line but a phenomenal midfield. I think the very defensive nature of the game in the mid 00s favoured those three sides, but in the end Sydney and West Coast just were the cream that rose to the top.

St Kilda 2009 and Adelaide 2006 (Rnd 1-16) for me. There have been some more terrifying sides (Sydney '14, Collingwood '11, Geelong '08, etc.), but those two had that assured premier feel about them, that a couple goal win was never in doubt (against 90% of opponents), that several stars, flag window age profile and innovative coaching performance would pull them through. They weren't just fantastic teams kicking winning scores at will, they were mature teams on a mission, loathe to lose or put in a poor quarter, they made you earn your goals, their consistent excellence awe-inspiring.

Fair enough, I was only 6 at the time so my memory a little hazy...
They were good, no question, very powerful with champion forwards and midfielders coming out of their arses, and the biggest surprise was the fall almost immediately afterwards. You would have been laughed back into the mental ward if you'd dared suggest after 1982 the Tigers wouldn't contend for another 35 years! 1981 a bit flat, but 1980 very powerful...they were riding on that a bit. Carlton though, criminally underrated in the list of greatest flag combos...you just don't hear anything about those 3 flags in 4 seasons...

Crowbots 05/06

Nah their forwardline was awful. Ian Perrie, Ken McGregor and Trent Hentschel were their three big hopes up forward. They even played Ricciuto as a forward (to quite good effect) for 2006 since their forward stocks were so dire.

They were good, no question, very powerful with champion forwards and midfielders coming out of their arses, and the biggest surprise was the fall almost immediately afterwards. You would have been laughed back into the mental ward if you'd dared suggest after 1982 the Tigers wouldn't contend for another 35 years! 1981 a bit flat, but 1980 very powerful...they were riding on that a bit. Carlton though, criminally underrated in the list of greatest flag combos...you just don't hear anything about those 3 flags in 4 seasons...
If Richmond didn't lose David Cloke, Geoff Raines and Bryan Wood all at once after 82 Richmond would of at least made more finals during the 80s

Unfortunately those running the tigers at the time let their egos get in the way and had a trade war with Collingwood where they got our stars and we got their duds. Very dark chapter in our clubs history.
And yes blues 3 flags over those 4 years were very good.

Port 2001,2002, 2003. We were the best team of that era and only have 1 premiership to show for it

I wouldn’t say they were better than Brisbane. Maybe even with, but not better than. The difference between home and away seasons wasn’t that great.

For the four year period the records were:

Brisbane: 75 wins, 25 losses, 1 draw
Port: 74 wins, 25 losses

2001: Brisbane 20-5, Port 16-8
2002: Brisbane 20-5, Port 19-6
2003: Brisbane 17-8-1, Port 19-6
2004: Brisbane 18-7, Port 20-5

Brisbane lead head-to-head 6-4 over that period.

Brisbane’s wins came by margins of 67, 56, 37, 34, 32 and 10

Ports wins came by margins of 40, 6, 6 and 1.

I wouldn’t say they were better than Brisbane. Maybe even with, but not better than. The difference between home and away seasons wasn’t that great.

For the four year period the records were:

Brisbane: 75 wins, 25 losses, 1 draw
Port: 74 wins, 25 losses

2001: Brisbane 20-5, Port 16-8
2002: Brisbane 20-5, Port 19-6
2003: Brisbane 17-8-1, Port 19-6
2004: Brisbane 18-7, Port 20-5

Brisbane lead head-to-head 6-4 over that period.

Brisbane’s wins came by margins of 67, 56, 37, 34, 32 and 10

Ports wins came by margins of 40, 6, 6 and 1.
The only year that you could say that Port Adelaide were better than Brisbane was 2003

Port were never better than Brisbane when it mattered except for 2004. Even then they can count themselves lucky Brizzy had to play us at the G instead of the GABBA with that bullshit MCG rule. Not leaving Brisbane for the Prelim would have made a massive difference.

West Coke were very good imo. A 17-5 record, beating Adelaide in Adelaide twice including one in a prelim. Smashed them by 14 goals at Subi too and come from behind wins against us by 9 goals, Blues by 44 the next week then not long later Hawks after trailing by 26 and the reigning premier Sydney by 32 the week after that.
There were grim times in that season though. Between Rnds 10-16 there were a few losses and unlikely comebacks (whilst the Crowbots looked unstoppable against everyone else), culminating in a listless loss to the Magpies at the MCG. Losing the QF to Sydney given the GF the previous year was also trying. Freo were contending with 2 Derby wins. And the half-time deficit in the prelim, and Swan's second half in the GF. I believed in an Eagles flag a lot during that season, but there were certainly periods where that belief was put to the test.

That smashing against Adelaide was a stunning change of fortune given the previous 7 performances, the season to date was ripped apart at that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were grim times in that season though. Between Rnds 10-16 there were a few losses and unlikely comebacks (whilst the Crowbots looked unstoppable against everyone else), culminating in a listless loss to the Magpies at the MCG. Losing the QF to Sydney given the GF the previous year was also trying. Freo were contending with 2 Derby wins. And the half-time deficit in the prelim, and Swan's second half in the GF. I believed in an Eagles flag a lot during that season, but there were certainly periods where that belief was put to the test.

That smashing against Adelaide was a stunning change of fortune given the previous 7 performances, the season to date was ripped apart at that point.
You had won enough games though to afford a couple of losses on the trot and a dip in form was always going to come. You started 6-0, lost narrowly to Freo with that Hasleby shot at the end. They had your measure that season obviously. You had the mid season b2b losses to dogsb and Port but that was after those two massive come back wins in successive weeks to us missing cousins and Judd the then Carlton.

The Pies game was at Etihad I believe and they did finish 5th that season.

I never had any doubt with the Eagles that season.

Probably Geelong 1989-97 and Geelong 2002-2017. They've had the best players during those periods and only won a mere 3 out of a potential 24 flags.

In recent times- 17 Crers, 16 swans, 15 Dockers/Eagles, 14 Swans...What's the trend here?

Perhaps the Eagles team of that period is romanticised a bit because the midfield was one of the all-time greats (Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr, with Embley outside that). But I guess the reality is, the forward line wasn't much chop and the defence was very good but perhaps not top shelf. That said, I still think a fully fit Eagles in 2007 would have been a handful for Geelong.

Perhaps the Eagles team of that period is romanticised a bit because the midfield was one of the all-time greats (Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr, with Embley outside that). But I guess the reality is, the forward line wasn't much chop and the defence was very good but perhaps not top shelf. That said, I still think a fully fit Eagles in 2007 would have been a handful for Geelong.

WC minus Judd, Cousins, Kerr went to extra time with Collingwood in the 2007 SF after losing the QF by 3 points with Cousins doing his hammy and Judd on one leg. The following week Geelong beat Collingwood by 5 points to reach the GF. I've never subscribed to the idea that we would've been fodder in the 2007 GF had we made it. If we'd got over the line against Port the week off would've been huge for us as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back