Who is the best team in the history of the game to not win a grand final??

Remove this Banner Ad

I classified that side the same from 07-11. I am referring to best team to not win one over its lifetime. If that gives you further clarity

There would be greater clarity if you fixed the thread title.

There appears to be two simultaneous discussions in this thread regarding who's the best club never to win a flag, and who's the best team never to win a flag.

There would be greater clarity if you fixed the thread title.

There appears to be two simultaneous discussions in this thread regarding who's the best club never to win a flag, and who's the best team never to win a flag.
Meh who cares, both discussions can have their back n forth. Each to their own. But i did originally mean team as in... That teams years playing together aka geelong 07-11 hawks 11-15 etc.

Plenty of amazing teams have lost a single grand final in their run. Infact most of the best have. Including hawks/brisbane/geelong champion sides which are easily best of last 50 years

Meh who cares, both discussions can have their back n forth. Each to their own. But i did originally mean team as in... That teams years playing together aka geelong 07-11 hawks 11-15 etc.

Plenty of amazing teams have lost a single grand final in their run. Infact most of the best have. Including hawks/brisbane/geelong champion sides which are easily best of last 50 years

Your logic is all over the place:
Yes? Which is why i would never put hawks 2012 as that group 3 flags. I do classify the 08 group different tho as tge side is quite different

I honestly think that St Kilda team is a bit over-rated... quite a lot of just 'guys' imo (... Fisher, Gilbert, ... Gram, Dempster... that's a lot of 'meh' players)
I wish the current Saints team had some "just guys" like Fisher and Dempster running around. Sam Gilbert would slot right into the current trend of intercept/rebound defenders (even if he occasionally made me want to pull my hair out), and Jason Gram (apparently) plodded his way to almost winning a Norm Smith.

I wish the current Saints team had some "just guys" like Fisher and Dempster running around. Sam Gilbert would slot right into the current trend of intercept/rebound defenders (even if he occasionally made me want to pull my hair out), and Jason Gram (apparently) plodded his way to almost winning a Norm Smith.
That 09-10 saints team would have won the flag easily against any team from 2016 onwards… quite comfortably also

Its not complicated, maybe for you its confusing as usual.
I dont really care mate, this thread is clearly meant for teams that didnt win premierships ie not hawthorn 2008-2016, not geelong 2007-2022, not brisbane 2001-2004.

who cares if you choked one year in 6, this thread is about teams who were very good but couldnt win one.

My comment of hawks 2012 was not a serious response to this thread, more so a response to you bringing up a geelong team that one 3 flags over 5 years in a thread about a team not winning a gf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont really care mate, this thread is clearly meant for teams that didnt win premierships ie not hawthorn 2008-2016, not geelong 2007-2022, not brisbane 2001-2004.

who cares if you choked one year in 6, this thread is about teams who were very good but couldnt win one.

My comment of hawks 2012 was not a serious response to this thread, more so a response to you bringing up a geelong team that one 3 flags over 5 years in a thread about a team not winning a gf.
Why are you responding to this post when it wasn’t in reply to yourself? I don’t think we actually disagreed on anything.. I agreed

hawks 2012 was by far our best season and side except for the last couple of finals performance wise

Not sure what "era" defines but since 2000 I would rank the 2001 - 03 Lions, 2012 - 2015 Hawks and the Cats from 2007 as better teams than Tigers from 2017.

Of those 3, I think the Lions was probably the line by line best team but it is hard to argue with the Cats sustained run from 2007 - 2022.

For me, the best team not to win a flag in that era was Saints 2004 - 2010. Maybe biased but that list should have won at least one flag.

Not sure what "era" defines but since 2000 I would rank the 2001 - 03 Lions, 2012 - 2015 Hawks and the Cats from 2007 as better teams than Tigers from 2017.

Of those 3, I think the Lions was probably the line by line best team but it is hard to argue with the Cats sustained run from 2007 - 2022.

For me, the best team not to win a flag in that era was Saints 2004 - 2010. Maybe biased but that list should have won at least one flag.

Lions were the best team on paper for a one off match for genuine stars, cats performed the best for the longest period of time. agree with saints being best team not to win one, argument for Freo too as they finished top or second a few years in a row there and similar to saints unlucky not to win one.

Yeah there were two whoppers in there:

1. 1929 - smashed by 10 goals in the 2nd semi-final - progressed through to the Grand final anyway. May still have won it, but definitely easier than it should have been.
2. 1930 - this one is even worse. Beaten by Geelong in the Prelim final by 26 points. That should have been it. Season over. Instead, they replayed the exact two teams the week later.

I'm also fully aware that Geelong's first flag in 1925 was won by similar means to Collingwood in 1929. That was crap too.
By an extraordinary coincidence, the Finals system was changed to the Final-4 in 1931. Can't think why.
FYI - from 1919 until 1930 there were only 2 times (1928, 1929) where the top team won their semi final, and then won the premiership. In every other season, the top team lost their semi-final, sat down for a week while the 2 other sides (including the team that had just beaten them) smashed each other for the right to play the top team again.
If the top team won their semi final, they still had to play and win the Grand Final (and if they lost, they lost). There was actual incentive to lose the first final - have a week off - let the opposition beat themselves up.

I'm all for rewarding the top team come finals time - I believe the Final-5 with 12 teams and a 22-round season was the best system the VFL ever had. But giving them a pass to win only one of two games was not right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back