Who is the best team in the history of the game to not win a grand final??

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what "era" defines but since 2000 I would rank the 2001 - 03 Lions, 2012 - 2015 Hawks and the Cats from 2007 as better teams than Tigers from 2017.

Of those 3, I think the Lions was probably the line by line best team but it is hard to argue with the Cats sustained run from 2007 - 2022.

For me, the best team not to win a flag in that era was Saints 2004 - 2010. Maybe biased but that list should have won at least one flag.

And 2009 the closest one

Lions were the best team on paper for a one off match for genuine stars, cats performed the best for the longest period of time. agree with saints being best team not to win one, argument for Freo too as they finished top or second a few years in a row there and similar to saints unlucky not to win one.

Lions through cats through hawks throug richmond there’s a clear trend from mostly talent basic systems to less overall talent but very advanced systems

The names in the lions side are huge on paper

Geelong from 89-95 are a good shout.

Hafey Collingwood era is right up there as well. Drawn granny in 77, prelim loss in 78, GF loss in 79, GF loss in 80, GF loss in 81.

if we are talking Era's, the Dogs team circa 1998 - 2002 was pretty stiff to run into some of the best teams the game has seen.

From Scott West, Luke Darcy, Rohan Smith, Scott Wind, Chris Grant Brad Johnson. Stars on every line that never got the ultimate chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah there were two whoppers in there:

1. 1929 - smashed by 10 goals in the 2nd semi-final - progressed through to the Grand final anyway. May still have won it, but definitely easier than it should have been.
2. 1930 - this one is even worse. Beaten by Geelong in the Prelim final by 26 points. That should have been it. Season over. Instead, they replayed the exact two teams the week later.

I'm also fully aware that Geelong's first flag in 1925 was won by similar means to Collingwood in 1929. That was crap too.
Crazy how teams used to win premierships within the rules of the finals system

Since 2005 I'd say
Geelong 08
St Kilda 09
Collingwood 11 (only lost to 1 team for the whole year)
Richmond 18 (reckon this was Richmond's strongest season of their peak)

Yeah there were two whoppers in there:

1. 1929 - smashed by 10 goals in the 2nd semi-final - progressed through to the Grand final anyway. May still have won it, but definitely easier than it should have been.
2. 1930 - this one is even worse. Beaten by Geelong in the Prelim final by 26 points. That should have been it. Season over. Instead, they replayed the exact two teams the week later.

I'm also fully aware that Geelong's first flag in 1925 was won by similar means to Collingwood in 1929. That was crap too.
Yep, it’s amazing when you finish on top and play in finals you don’t have to win compared to the finals you do have to win.
When it was required to win…. They did. Case closed. That includes 1925.

Yep, it’s amazing when you finish on top and play in finals you don’t have to win compared to the finals you do have to win.
When it was required to win…. They did. Case closed. That includes 1925.

Yeah, this was the VFL "Challenge" system I think. I know for Saints for example in 1913 they beat Fitzroy in the "Grand Final" but the team that finished on top of the ladder at end of H&A (in 1913 Fitzroy) could "challenge" if they lost a final. So effectively the Grand Final was played again and Fitzroy won.

A bit bizzare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back