Bigger impact - Lake to Hawthorn or Tippett to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks got basically nothing for him, so who cares how he will go. They could either a) get an experienced defender like Lake or b) get a rookie and hope he improves fast. Lake was the most logical choice short term; its the exact same reason why Geelong got Pods. Quick fix to fill a hole while the side has a decent chance of still winning a flag.

Lake is finished. How bad are Hawthorn going to be after their premiership window closes. Their older players are stars, their younger players are useless. Drafting veterans such as Brian Lake is not thinking long term at all. In my opinion they will bottom out hard.

I think the three All Australians players that we had this year all under the age of 26 beg to differ.

Hawthorn have bent Doggies over in this trade and have now basically put one hand on the premiership cup in 2013. If they keep everyone on the park, including Lake the other hand will follow without a blink of an eye.....well done Doggies!!!!!!!

If they manage him right, Lake will be pretty good for the Hawks. Just annoyed that it makes them even stronger.

Lake tries to mark it when he gets two hands to the ball. Bad fit for Hawthorn IMO.

Usually marks it too :) I think those saying Lake is finished and a dud now didn't watch him in 2012. For mine he was quite good and was our 3rd best player behind Griff and Boyd. Many people are stuck in 2011 with Lake, some people are talking like he is always injured even though he played 20 games this season

Troll?

Richards, McPharlin, Lonergan and Reid have all been AA or in the AA squad in the past 12 months. Anyone believe Lake circa 2012 is better than any of those?

It is hard to know. What do all of those defenders have in common? All from top 8 sides, most from top 4.

2010 he was AA, 2011 was an injury write off, 2012 the dogs were a write off. Logic says he probably won't be AA again but is it really that big a risk to find out?

Hawks got basically nothing for him, so who cares how he will go. They could either a) get an experienced defender like Lake or b) get a rookie and hope he improves fast. Lake was the most logical choice short term; its the exact same reason why Geelong got Pods. Quick fix to fill a hole while the side has a decent chance of still winning a flag.

Are we talking 2 finals in 30 years bottoming out hard or just regular bottoming out hard ?

Your right though we should be looking to trade for some draft picks, rebuild and try to get the youngest list, that's what it's all about after all.

Hawthorn have bent Doggies over in this trade and have now basically put one hand on the premiership cup in 2013. If they keep everyone on the park, including Lake the other hand will follow without a blink of an eye.....well done Doggies!!!!!!!
I don't see how we got bent over. Lake is no good to us in the future. We know we're no chance at a premiership, so I doubt we care who gets it. We got something for him now, instead of nothing later. It's a win for both clubs.

Lake is getting criminally underrated in this thread. There will be egg on a lot of faces at the end of next year. Will be a very, very good pick up for the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 31 year old, injury prone player with attitude problems?
Unpopular with his teammates?
Regular clangers gifting goals to the opposition?

Okay, we'll take him ...

Whether Lake gets back to his best or not isn't as important as how it will structurally change the Hawks. Lake #1 forward, Shoe takes #2 and Gibbo is now free to play more 3rd man up. Can see it as a win for Hawks. Even if Lake is just "solid" will go a long way to Hawks winning 2013.

And every one of them can rebound, swap, kick well. It is a pretty good fit. Lakes marking will be a massive change for the Hawks defence which would be bottom 4 in terms of intercept marks and contested marks.

Both will be good for their team but both carry significant risk.

Lake is 30 so will have around 3 good years left - exactly the right amount of time for the hawks to challenge for another premiership. He has the ability to transform the hawks back line into a force - Gibson will be able to play loose and Stratton won't be needed as a third man up a frequently. Basically they should be able to set up far more effectively.

Tippett is a few more concussions away from retirement. I can't believe how many people are forgetting this. A 4 year deal was a crazy step by the Swans. That said he will have a similar effect of Sydney's forwards as Lake will on the Hawks. They'll be able to set up far more effectively and have a genuine marking target forward and should give Reid more time to develop. It may make the swans a little more predictable entering the 50 which may damage their slingshot tactics.

Lake for me. The Hawks need him more and he'll change the way their defence is set up entirely.

Both recruits make their teams look that little harder to beat.

Lake tries to mark it when he gets two hands to the ball. Bad fit for Hawthorn IMO.

I can see it now. Lake going up for the mark only for Gibson to come third man up and punching it over the line. It's all instinct ;)

I can see him being dropped after 4 rounds after a few shocker. He'll make schoey look like a seasoned pro.
Don't like this pick up. Better off without him. Sydney got Spud Everitt a few years back in 2007 in a bid to get another flag and it didn't work out well for us.
Veteran players can make an impact, especially if managed well and put into a position to succeed. I never underestimate the impact of a fresh environment and the lure of finals football.

Lake is a 1/4 of the player he was in 2010. Marty Pask said that Hawthorn will be absorbing his full contract so it means a Clinton Young will be forced out.

Silly move by Hawthorn.
Contract nulled and will be doing a new one with hawthorn, neither dogs nor hawthorn will be paying him the 700k or whatever he was on at the bulldogs, But whatever.

If they manage him right, Lake will be pretty good for the Hawks. Just annoyed that it makes them even stronger.

Who cares? They'll be even stronger for what? 1-2 years? Then, unless they drastically alter their recruiting philosophy and/or get lucky with horrible picks, will fall off the radar very quickly.

Who cares? They'll be even stronger for what? 1-2 years? Then, unless they drastically alter their recruiting philosophy and/or get lucky with horrible picks, will fall off the radar very quickly.
People remember premierships nothing else

People remember premierships nothing else

No offence, but I would expect such a narrow minded view from a supporter of a club so desperate for a flag. Consistently just recruiting for a short term gain as Hawthorn have in an effort to back up from 2008 more often than not fails and even when it doesn't and you do get lucky it leaves you on the s**t heap for a long while afterwards. Anyone can do that, but they don't because it's not really a healthy way to run a side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back