News Boak signs two year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

list spots matter when we always have some locked up with guys on contracts that are too long

I’m of the belief that within reason good clubs look after good people and don’t just see it as a numbers game.... it’s part of the intangible bigger picture of how clubs are perceived by players.

We don’t know the contract details, for instance is there a games clause after the second year etc.

Frankly, given what he’s done over the years I’d happily wear the risk as he will be taking a 32yo salary and if the risk is one list spot chewed up because he falls off the cliff so be it, we can delist another older guy, or we can negotiate an early exit.

Last edited:
I reckon the way he has worked on his fitness gives him the right to ask for a longer contract.
Added to stepping down as captain when asked etc.
Don’t have a problem having someone like Boak remain whilst the kids get up.

I’m of the belief that within reason good clubs look after good people and don’t just see it as a numbers game.... it’s part of the intangible bigger picture of how clubs are perceived by players.
We can look after him fine with a rolling one year. A 1 year extension still wouldve had security through to end of 2021.

You want players coming to Port for success not excessive contract security. How we are perceived, we are pulling in the latter.

We can look after him fine with a rolling one year. A 1 year extension still wouldv'e had security through to end of 2021.
So using that logic we shouldn't have signed him until the end of the year, and then only to 1 yr ?

So using that logic we shouldn't have signed him until the end of the year, and then only to 1 yr ?
1 year extension now is 2 full seasons and we know if hes pulling up physically ok for this one. One year added now is fine, given Boak's 2019.

I'm not against players receiving contract security, but it has to be a far more mindful decision than PAFC contracting has repeatedly proven to be.

1 year extension now is 2 full seasons and we know if hes pulling up physically ok for this one. One year added now is fine, given Boak's 2019.

I'm not against players receiving contract security, but it has to be a far more mindful decision than PAFC contracting has repeatedly proven to be.

So in essence your gripe is the second year ... even if it is a heavily claused year (which it may or may not be as I mentioned).
I don't think 2 years is right for everyone (ie see Robbies extension) but I feel its fine for Boak given the way he carries himself.

To be fair Portia has had this view for a long time, and just stating she has now exceptions

Whilst I'm (and others) are of the view that if the club is ever going to break it's 1 year contract extension rule for blokes older than 30 - Travis Boak is the exemption

Edit
The above is meant to say she doesn't have extensions

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Portia has had this view for a long time, and just stating she has now exceptions

Yep, understand and respect that. It doesn't mean we can't question it as a catch-all rule, and I'm sure/hoping Portia respects the debate in cases like this.

Yep, understand and respect that. It doesn't mean we can't question it as a catch-all rule, and I'm sure/hoping Portia respects the debate in cases like this.
Oh yeah course it's just the last few pages has been imniotthatshockedFryfuturama.gif

Was it 2 or 3 years ago people were calling for his sacking as captain ?
Just shows how big a * up Hinkley trying to turn Boak (a 2XAA inside mid) into a half forward was, nearly ruined his career.

Had Boak not moved back into the midfield and returned to close to career best form he probably doesn't get this deal.

The stuff this legend does behind the scenes with kids and cancer patients is brilliant.
Add to that him resigning when Geelong sent the heavies over give him 10yrs for all I care just a great human.

Remember when Matty Primus said he wanted us to be a humble team? That was misinterpreted as something it wasn't. What he meant was to be what Boak is - loyal, hard working, professional, respectful, always thinking about others before self. I hope our young players realise just how lucky they are to have a role model like Travis at the club.

Why are we signing players to contracts in the current environment of unprecedented uncertainty? Absolute madness by the club.

Maybe we're giving our two best performed players of the last 15 years some certainty in a time of uncertainty to repay their loyalty to the club?

Maybe we're giving our two best performed players of the last 15 years some certainty in a time of uncertainty to repay their loyalty to the club?

This really isn't the time for such sentiment. Player contracts have been frozen today fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back