Boxing Day Test: Australia v India @ MCG (Mon - Fri) *Part 4*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear the pitch is abit lively. No way will the flat track bullies chase down around 250 if the pitch is dodgy .

Sewagh
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dohni

Which one is a flat track bully?

One of the best batting line ups of all time.

Some of the nonsense being woffled in here is kind of ridiculous.

Get over the fact we're not winning 16 straight tests anymore and acknowledge that we're in a rebuilding phase. Sure there's problems behind the scenes etc. but seriously, think about what you're saying.

This is test cricket. TEST cricket.

Do you expect that every ten years after a Steve Waughs, Ricky Pontings, Shane Warnes, Glen McGraths and Adam Gilchrists get too old that another squad of mirror image replacements just walks up to the crease?

Australian cricket has been in worse shape in the past. I see more light at the end of the tunnel than what some of the crap in here suggests.

Spot the odd man out.

Indeed, Dhoni extremely average especially away from home.

Home and away batting averages:

Sehwag

H: 58.19
A: 46.90

Tendulkar

H: 56.37
A: 56.86

Dravid

H: 51.35
A: 54.81

Laxman

H: 51.60
A: 43.79

Dhoni

H: 43.00
A: 34.21

Interesting how Dravid and Tendulkar aren't bothered with where they play, not the same for the others.

Sehwag

Tendulkar

Dravid

Laxman

Dhoni

Interesting how Dravid and Tendulkar aren't bothered with where they play, not the same for the others.

What is Laxman's average in Australia though?? I was of the belief that it was higher than his overall average

The greatness of Dravid and Sachin is further underlined by their records away. Just phenomenal cricketers they've been. Legends of the game

As for laxman, I believe his average vs Australia is around 55, again well above his career mark. In fact if I'm not mistaken Sachin and Laxman have the highest aggregate number of runs vs Australia in test cricket overall

wow, what a day.

i had my doubts about hilf coming up but he bowled really well... they bowled real well as a unit.

what a bastard that top order batting was... i'm really positive about this top three, and we saw a few glimpses of it in the first innings, but not today.

hopefully we can jag this test because it will help ease the selectors temptation to bring watson back, rather get him fully fit for the third test, and just see how this top six go again in sydney before we make a decision as to who watson comes back in for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the selectors truly have any guile about them, Haddin will go next test. Had enough of his wicketkeeping and batting like a buffoon. I'd make better decisions batting than he would after a night on space beer.

Needed to keep the bowling at bay following Pontings dismissal and help Hussey. But no, he goes fishing yet again and tamely gets out. At least it wasn't the down the pitch tennis shot this time though.

Indian bowling has been good though, Khan and Yadav have looked great, the latter a great prospect.

When I think about it, 2011 has really been the best year for bowlers in a long time and easily the worst for batsmen. First time that the balance has been so close since the mid 90's. Better pitches, better bowlers and incompetent discipline and techniques contributing to that. .

Tendulkar is an absolute freak and does the impossible, but if I had to have someone to play an innings for my life, it would be Dravid. Considering the top 6 they've had for quite some time though, India have really under achieved.

In saying that, they're in for some turbulent times in say the next 2-3 years...
Sehwag (36)
Gambhir (32)
?
?
?
Kohli (25)

Losing Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman is going to be their version of Warne, McGrath and Hayden/Langer. Young guys will always come through (especially given their population size and obsession with cricket), but it's highly unlikely they'll be of the quality of Dravid and Sachin in particular.

If the selectors truly have any guile about them, Haddin will go next test.

If the selectors had any guile about them he would have been gone after the NZ series, or he would have been gone after the SA collapse, or he would have been gone after being pretty useless in Sri Lanka.

I can't see how this tests efforts have been any different to any of the others. To be honest, this test has been nowhere near his worst performance of the last year.

For whatever reason, Haddin has some sort of eternal free pass.

He will not be gone for Sydney.

I didn't realise Dravid has had such a good year -

M: 12*
I: 22
Runs: 1,171
100's: 5
50: 4
Ave: 58.55

Not bad for someone who is about to turn 39.

I didn't realise Dravid has had such a good year -

M: 12*
I: 22
Runs: 1,171
100's: 5
50: 4
Ave: 58.55

Not bad for someone who is about to turn 39.

Yep, has upstaged Tendulkar this year, good effort considering it's been a fairly mediocre year for India in tests. Due to all the attention on Tendulkar, we barely hear a word about this man's achievements. One of the last true test batsmen.

I think Lyon may have been overhyped by the media and by Australian cricket fans. I don't think we have anyone better for the role at the moment, but the way people were talking after he picked up a couple of slogging NZ tailenders was way over the top. I'm not at all having a go at him, an inexperienced offspinner bowling to Sehwag, Dravid and Tendulkar is like watching a lamb to the slaughter, but can we all just tone it down a bit?

100% agree. I still think Australia are in need of a wrist spinner, offers plenty more than a finger spinner and is almost a prerequisite when playing 5-6 test matches a year in Australia.

That being said is there actually any young spinners showing any potential? Whatever happened to Cullen Bailey, I remember extreme hype over him 5-6 years ago and from what I understand he isn't even able to do damage in the South Australia 2nd XI.

Remaining spin options wrist or finger leaves you with Beer, Doherty, Krezja, O'Keefe, Holland and Hauritz when fit. After that you're left with batting all-rounders Maxwell and Smith. Lyon throws them all into the water.

Tendulkar is an absolute freak and does the impossible, but if I had to have someone to play an innings for my life, it would be Dravid. Considering the top 6 they've had for quite some time though, India have really under achieved.

In saying that, they're in for some turbulent times in say the next 2-3 years...
Sehwag (36)
Gambhir (32)
?
?
?
Kohli (25)

Losing Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman is going to be their version of Warne, McGrath and Hayden/Langer. Young guys will always come through (especially given their population size and obsession with cricket), but it's highly unlikely they'll be of the quality of Dravid and Sachin in particular.

Can be no doubt that Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman will leave a hole in their list. But India barely managed to squeeze someone of Kohli's potential into their team. Don't think they will slump all that badly, plenty of good quality batsman around.

Sehwag

Tendulkar

Dravid

Laxman

Dhoni

need to drop most of those averages by taking out the minnows.

Tendulkar 53.39/53.17
Dravid 48.15/52.65
Laxman 51.88 / 44.06 (actually improves)
Dhoni 43:00 / 31.72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back