Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I’m not a robot mate I’m as real as your tiny brain 🥱

Deus ex machina, (Latin: “god from the machine”) a person or thing that appears or is introduced into a situation suddenly and unexpectedly and provides an artificial or contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.

Deus ex machina, (Latin: “god from the machine”) a person or thing that appears or is introduced into a situation suddenly and unexpectedly and provides an artificial or contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.
Arab businessman purchases premier league club and buys way to a cup :rainbow:

I agree that referencing the design of the jumper as wharf pylons is more honourable to the people and area of Port Adelaide, and I get that players from our most successful era don't like the prison bar reference. However I don't bother about which reference is used for the campaign because the bigger picture is to win the right to wear our famous jumper continously in the afl as that will honour everything and everyone about the club and its origins.

I agree that referencing the design of the jumper as wharf pylons is more honourable to the people and area of Port Adelaide, and I get that players from our most successful era don't like the prison bar reference. However I don't bother about which reference is used for the campaign because the bigger picture is to win the right to wear our famous jumper continously in the afl as that will honour everything and everyone about the club and its origins.

I agree with you, but I think as part of a broader strategy whenever Port people get get asked about the jumper eg board members, executives, players, past players etc, they say something like -

They aren't prison bars, the design represents the wharves and pylons of the Port Adelaide area. The prison bars phrase came from our opponents who used it in a derogatory way, you know, like the phrase nig.ger, wog, dago, spick etc was used against people who were part of a minority group, but just like those people who had to face the barbes from others, at some point they took ownership of those phrases, as people woke up and realised they were being disrespectful. Port Adelaide people have taken ownership of the Prison Bars phrase and we use it. But we will never forget what the truth behind the design is, and what it represents. They are not generic vertical or horizontal stripes like most sporting jersey designs are.

Use a few controversial phrases in their answers, to prick the ears of the uneducated and make them stop and think and maybe learn a thing or two.

I agree with you, but I think as part of a broader strategy whenever Port people get get asked about the jumper eg board members, executives, players, past players etc, they say something like -

They aren't prison bars, the design represents the wharves and pylons of the Port Adelaide area. The prison bars phrase came from our opponents who used it in a derogatory way, you know, like the phrase nig.ger, wog, dago, spick etc was used against people who were part of a minority group, but just like those people who had to face the barbes from others, at some point they took ownership of those phrases, as people woke up and realised they were being disrespectful. Port Adelaide people have taken ownership of the Prison Bars phrase and we use it. But we will never forget what the truth behind the design is, and what it represents. They are not generic vertical or horizontal stripes like most sporting jersey designs are.

Use a few controversial phrases in their answers, to prick the ears of the uneducated and make them stop and think and maybe learn a thing or two.

Yep, and that's why I don't get concerned too much about it. Wearing it is the most important.

Prison Bars has become the wider known term, it's been the default name for a long, long time. I don't associate the term with criminals, nor do I regularly hear people make that connection when the term is raised.

It's just not worth getting upset over. It's getting upset about an assumed insult that hasn't existed in reality for decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this over? Have the AFL said no yet?

Maybe we’ll get some news after the trade/draft period. I fully expect a home showdown every year to be ticked off by the AFL.

I have watched horse racing for decades and have never seen a galloper before with the jockey wearing PB silks, but there was a horse in race 1 at Murray Bridge yesterday with the jockey wearing silks with the back in particular an early version of front of the PB's.
It was trained by someone named Kenny (surname ;)) from Millicent, and may have been registered to that trainer's family, or that particular horse's owner for generations and therefore not available to others, but I believe having those colours on horses with a leading trainer like eg Hayes or McEvoy with runners at the metro Melbourne tracks every week wouldn't have done our cause any harm, and it was good to see even though the horse finished down the track.

There is a version of the BIB as racing silks registered to a moderately successful SA trainer.

Last edited:
I have watched horse racing for decades and have never seen a galloper before with the jockey wearing PB silks, but there was a horse in race 1 at Murray Bridge yesterday with the jockey wearing silks with the back in particular that an early version of front of the PB's.
It was trained by someone named Kenny (surname ;)) from Millicent, and may have been registered to that trainer's family, or that particular horse's owner for generations and therefore not available to others, but I believe having those colours on horses with a leading trainer like eg Hayes or McEvoy with runners at the metro Melbourne tracks every week wouldn't have done our cause any harm, and it was good to see even though the horse finished down the track.

There is a version of the BIB as racing silks registered to a moderately successful SA trainer.

Someone better let Eddie McGuire know.

My grandfather's horses used to race with the prison bar silks.
I've since found out who they were sold to when he died but I'm not sure if that person still owns them.

View attachment 1009384

The back of silks on the horse at Murray Bridge yesterday was virtually identical to the front of those worn by the driver of `Fos' above, but it had no white piping at all and may have been from an older design of the PB's.

I didn't get a real good look at the front, but it had a white oval shape which could have been a football at about the midpoint of the chest of the jockey.

I'm not sure how the registration of racing silks works, but I assume there would be some agreement between the two racing codes not to duplicate them.

The back of silks on the horse at Murray Bridge yesterday was virtually identical to the front of those worn by the driver of `Fos' above, but it had no white piping at all and may have been from an older design of the PB's.

I didn't get a real good look at the front, but it had a white oval shape which could have been a football at about the midpoint of the chest of the jockey.

I'm not sure how the registration of racing silks works, but I assume there would be some agreement between the two racing codes not to duplicate them.

I'm not sure either sorry, my parents have had nothing to do with horse racing since then.
I believe its ok for me to say that the silks were sold to Jeffrey Potter but I'm not sure if he still owns them.

I'm not sure either sorry, my parents have had nothing to do with horse racing since then.
I believe its ok for me to say that the silks were sold to Jeffrey Potter but I'm not sure if he still owns them.

Yes, the drivers of Jeff’s trotters used to wear those silks

While Collingwood are looking like a rabble after their trade week firesale, timing might be right to push this. Btw who is Port's new gurnsey sponsor?

I think collingwood supporters would be happy with their president spending so much time bitching on what Port wears. Their trade week clearly showed that they have it together from a playing list point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back