Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If it doesn't reference the specific Pantone colour code, I would argue it's invalid for uncertainty.*

*note: this is not legal advice
I would argue that neither black or white are technically colours and as them being colours goes to the heart of the agreement the agreement is null and void.

Black and white are shades.

So many questions: did the purported agreement state that Collingwood would have the exclusive right to black and white with or without any additional colour?

Must be just black and white otherwise the VFL powerhouse that is St Kilda would be in strife.

Hypothetically, if our logo was just the monogram, and it was in teal on the LH shoulder of the B&W PBs, would that suffice to produce a guernsey that's not just 'black and white stripes'?

Well if we want to get technical, there is no reason why we can't differentiate colours from Hex Code.

If Collingwood has black & white "trademarked" then they can own these colours.
Collingwood White #ffffff
Collingwood Black #000000

We should go and trademark these colours then apply to use them for the PB's.
Port White #fffffe
Port Black #000001

Problem solved ;)

Well if we want to get technical, there is no reason why we can't differentiate colours from Hex Code.

If Collingwood has black & white "trademarked" then they can own these colours.
Collingwood White #ffffff
Collingwood Black #000000

We should go and trademark these colours then apply to use them for the PB's.
Port White #fffffe
Port Black #000001

Problem solved ;)
Yes, this is getting technical, but it’s all relevant for inclusion in our legal file.

Our main play has got to be Restraint of Trade. It’s simple, punchy and very Australian.

Our trade in heritage merchandise has now been restricted to the extent the Club has been forced to launch a Chasing Greatness Fund ... a euphemism for pass the hat around cobbers.

Did we make a formal full request?
Yes.

Port Adelaide denied opportunity to wear heritage jumper at first Friday night match at Adelaide Oval

PORT Adelaide’s wish to wear its 1914 black-and-white jumper against Carlton in the Power’s first Friday Night Football clash at Adelaide Oval is gone.
Donning the prison-bar guernsey in the round 22 clash on August 22 was to be part of Port’s grand celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the club’s triumph against Carlton for the 1914 Championship of Australian title.

Despite the Power having an agreement with the AFL — to overcome sensitivities with Collingwood — that it would only wear the club’s black-and-white strips on significant occasions, the centenary of the national title has not met with the league’s approval.

Port last wore its traditional black-and-white jumper in the AFL for the Football Park closer — against Carlton at the end of August.

Port will now honour the heritage jumper where it is most famous, in the SANFL competition.

The Magpies will wear the 1914 throwback jumper with SANFL approval in the first State league Showdown with the Crows at Alberton Oval on Saturday, July 26. This guernsey will have the club’s 1900s logo on a breast rather than the modern Magpies motif introduced in the mid-70s.

The Power will still acknowledge the 1914 national triumph against Carlton in the Friday night clash at the Oval — but without a heritage jumper.

Port chief executive Keith Thomas told The Advertiser the 1914 jumper deserved to be seen on a football field on the 100th anniversary of the Championship of Australian victory — and Alberton Oval was an appropriate setting for its return.

“We see this as an outstanding opportunity to once again celebrate and honour the incredible heritage of our club,” Thomas said.

“The 1914 team went through the South Australian Football League undefeated and then defeated VFL premier Carlton for the Champions of Australia title. It is one of this club’s finest achievements.

I don't think Collingwood have any control here whatsoever, apart from the political influence they have over the AFL.

It's politically convenient for the AFL and Collingwood for their to be a public perception that Collingwood have control here, but they don't. It's 100% with the AFL.

Look at the way Eddie has carried on every time we've worn the bars. He's always furious, he always says never again. He gets a bright red pulsating vein in his forehead every time it's brought up. I don't believe for a second that he's ever given genuine approval.

But occasionally the AFL tells them to suck it up and allows them the opportunity to stage manage it and sign off on agreements etc. Does anyone really believe that when we managed to get the bars approved in 24 hours in 2014, Collingwood agreed? Doubt it. They were told it was happening, not asked.

If the AFL decided to give us showdowns, Collingwood would make some noise but they wouldn't challenge it on court. Trying to trademark colours in sport? Good luck. And the prison bars are a significant design departure from what Collingwood wear. The last thing Collingwood want is a court decision approving the bars.

It's just a matter of time.

Yes.

So despite the = every time Port have asked us to wear the gurnsey we have said yes = statement by McGuire here is another example.

After 2003 Heritage round was supposed to be a one off but clubs made plenty of doh and it was repeated, Collingwood and AFL have said no on the following ocassions:

2004 Heritage Round - to keep it calm wear the Magenta after asking for the PBs.

2005 Heritage Round - wear the baby blue from 1870 after asking for the PBs..

2006 Heritage Round theme 1980's. Gilligan asks us to wear an 80's training jumper. We say get stuffed.

2014 100th anniversary of the club’s triumph against Carlton for the 1914 Championship of Australian title.

2021 Showdown

The last thing Collingwood want is a court decision approving the bars.

Still doesn't matter as the court has no power over the AFL that dictate who wears what. Challenging Collingwood in court would be a major waste of time and money as even if we win, the AFL is under no obligation to enforce the court decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So despite the = every time Port have asked us to wear the gurnsey we have said yes = statement by McGuire here is another example.

After 2003 Heritage round was supposed to be a one off but clubs made plenty of doh and it was repeated, Collingwood and AFL have said no on the following ocassions:

2004 Heritage Round - to keep it calm wear the Magenta after asking for the PBs.

2006 Heritage Round theme 1980's. Gilligan asks us to wear an 80's training jumper. We say get stuffed.

2014 100th anniversary of the club’s triumph against Carlton for the 1914 Championship of Australian title.

2021 Showdown

I'm sure there have been further requests behind closed doors when we were asking politely and not making a fuss as well.

There's no way we didn't try to capitalise on the success of the 2014 bars over the subsequent few years.

Still doesn't matter as the court has no power over the AFL that dictate who wears what. Challenging Collingwood in court would be a major waste of time and money as even if we win, the AFL is under no obligation to enforce the court decision.

No, but it certainly puts more pressure on the AFL if they can't hide behind meaningless agreements and Collingwood's approval.

2021 Showdown
Eddie McGuire shamelessly lies through his teeth.

Doesn’t matter? What you mean ‘doesn’t matter’? Of course it matters. It all matters.

So long as posters like you come out with doesn’t matter the longer our opposition prospers.

Get off your arse and fight. MAKE it matter.

Doesn’t matter? What you mean ‘doesn’t matter’? Of course it matters. It all matters.

So long as posters like you come out with doesn’t matter the longer our opposition prospers.

Get off your arse and fight. MAKE it matter.

If your gonna fight, then fight the right battle and that battle is with the AFL.

Collingwood is just the sideshow to this crap that will waste our time and money as ultimately they have no power. Their only power is the politics and influence they have on the AFL. However that may change as Collingwood FC is currently imploding and no one knows where they will end up in the next 5 to 10 years.

If your gonna fight, then fight the right battle and that battle is with the AFL.

Collingwood is just the sideshow to this crap that will waste our time and money as ultimately they have no power. Their only power is the politics and influence they have on the AFL. However that may change as Collingwood FC is currently imploding and no one knows where they will end up in the next 5 to 10 years.
What battle do you think I’m talking about?

Not sure as I was quoting El_Scorcho in the context of his hypothetical post in regards to targeting Collingwood in a court case.
If you’re not sure, don’t post.

I am well aware that we will have to engage the AFL in an appropriate hearing to achieve what we deserve.

Collingwood can go to hell in a bathtub.

Calm down, not my fault you took my post out of context. Maybe read El_Scorco's post first before flying off the handle.
Okay. I have gone back and read the lead-up posts. I did fly off the handle. But buggered if I am going to say sorry.

We have a fight on our hands and, yes, it is with the AFL. We won’t win it by being gentlemen because it ain’t gentlemen we’re up against.

Okay. I have gone back and read the lead-up posts. I did fly off the handle. But buggered if I am going to say sorry.

We have a fight on our hands and, yes, it is with the AFL. We won’t win it by being gentlemen because it ain’t gentlemen we’re up against.

Fair enough, keep up the good fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back