Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez I hope Koch doesn't include "showdowns only" when he takes that petition up to the AFL.

I'm starting to get very concerned here.

Pllease do not back us into a corner this time around David Koch. I hope we have learnt our lesson from mistakes of the past.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Geez I hope Koch doesn't include "showdowns only" when he takes that petition up to the AFL.

I'm starting to get very concerned here.

Pllease do not back us into a corner this time around David Koch. I hope we have learnt our lesson from mistakes of the past.

A petition is just a petition, we're not going to sign anything away.

The club is fully embracing the #bringbackthebars campaign. An undeniable campaign is now in the public eye. There are zero bad vibes here.

The petition will get signatures that dwarf the supporter campaign because it's club driven and very public.

A petition is just a petition, we're not going to sign anything away.

The club is fully embracing the #bringbackthebars campaign. An undeniable campaign is now in the public eye. There are zero bad vibes here.

The petition will get signatures that dwarf the supporter campaign because it's club driven and very public.
But the petition will be put forward as part of a proposition to the AFL.

That proposition will include wearing it only for Showdowns, I hope we don't sign away any rights to use it in the future at our own discretion.

But the petition will be put forward as part of a proposition to the AFL.

That proposition will include wearing it only for Showdowns, I hope we don't sign away any rights to use it in the future at our own discretion.

Can you please send us a picture of the Petition where it stipulates that we will only wear it in showdowns?

The smart thing is to focus on winning the battle to stay in the war. Focus on the long game rather than demanding everything up front is the smart thing to do.

You mean the mistake of the past where we demanded to keep our colours and logo and lost our first chance to get a spot in the AFL in 1991 by ONE vote....the vote of Collingwood and their allies?

Yes - we learned our lesson from that mistake, after the Crows took our place. And so in our submission to get that second SA licence we accepted every condition imposed on us - it got us in the AFL. From their we could claw back the things that matter. THAT was where Bucky and Boulton and the rest of the Board were clever. They played the long game. That is being strategic and smart.

Asking to wear the prison bars for showdowns only is the SMART thing to do to get the support of other clubs and the AFL. We have widespread support and sympathy for that now. Reach too far and we will be seen by others as everything Eddie portrays us as being - duplicitous and greedy. And so we will get nothing.

In time we will get another crack at having the bars for all games but that will require patience and time. Time for the rest of the footy world to see how good that jumper is and what it represents. Time for people to come to terms with the fact that Eddie's position is one of arrogance and ignorance. Time for people to see the logic in the argument that it isn't just about colours or about stripes - but about history and standing for something that connects us with our past. And that the history and past of Port Adelaide, dating back to the 1800s is just and valuable and just as worth preserving as the history and past of the suburb of Collingwood.

But for now FOCUS on winning the battle you can win. Especially when the HQ is located in enemy territory.

Last edited:
The smart thing is to focus on winning the battle to stay in the war. Focus on the long game rather than demanding everything up front is the smart thing to do.

You mean the mistake of the past where we demanded to keep our colours and logo and lost our first chance to get a spot in the AFL in 1991 by ONE vote....the vote of Collingwood and their allies?

Yes - we learned our lesson from that mistake, after the Crows took our place. And so in our submission to get that second SA licence we accepted every condition imposed on us - it got us in the AFL. From their we could claw back the things that matter. THAT was where Bucky and Boulton and the rest of the Board were clever. They played the long game. That is being strategic and smart.

Asking to wear the prison bars for showdowns only is the SMART thing to do to get the support of other clubs and the AFL. We have widespread support and sympathy for that now. Reach too far and we will be seen by others as everything Eddie portrays us as being - duplicitous and greedy. And so we will get nothing.

In time we will get another crack at having the bars for all games but that will require patience and time. Time for the rest of the footy world to see how good that jumper is and what it represents. Time for people to come to terms with the fact that Eddie's position is one of arrogance and ignorance. Time for people to see the logic in the argument that it isn't just about colours or about stripes - but about history and standing for something that connects us with our past. And that the history and past of Port Adelaide, dating back to the 1800s is just and valuable and just as worth preserving as the history and past of the suburb of Collingwood.

But for now FOCUS on winning the battle you can win. Especially when the HQ is located in enemy territory.
very nicely said

I understand it's a long battle I'm in for the long battle, all I'm saying is please do not put it in writing nor sign a deal that says "showdowns only".

Can you please send us a picture of the Petition where it stipulates that we will only wear it in showdowns?
The club is thinking of doing it's own petition separate to that of the BBTB campaign.

As I've already said, I hope the club do not sign a contract saying "Showdowns only".

Surely the angle you go for is "we want the right to wear our heritage Guernsey in games of significance of our choosing" or something similar. Talk up in the media that those games of significance are Showdowns, to make it not that big of a deal and basically impossible for any sane person to argue against, but have the plan to move to more bubbling away in the background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about little teal around the number panel like our Away Guernsey in 2003? I really liked how it looked
View attachment 892451

21f8d0928f433caceab8e63c24d83af4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the AFL came out tommorow saying that they approve the prison bars with that number panel to be worn full time would you accept it?

If that's their offer, then they know they don't have a leg to stand on and we're just about to be allowed to wear it in its pure unadulterated form.

It doesn't need to be changed. There's no good reason for it. People requesting it either haven't properly assessed the state of play or they want us to change it out of spite or control.

If that's their offer, then they know they don't have a leg to stand on and we're just about to be allowed to wear it in its pure unadulterated form.

It doesn't need to be changed. There's no good reason for it. People requesting it either haven't properly assessed the state of play or they want us to change it out of spite or control.
Agreed

Saw this on the replay, and have heard of a few empathetic comments from Collingwood fans about the PB now that our heritage is becoming something more like common knowledge over in Vic.

It would be smart of us to let this continue to turn itself into a "football heritage Vs Eddie" issue. It isn't actually a "Port Vs Collingwood" issue at all.

i have a number of Port guernseys i used to wear to the footy. Some PBs and some non PBs which used to get rotated around before last season

I have retired all non PB guernseys to the wardrobe forever... i will never EVER wear any other Port guernsey to the football again

Prison Bars only (of which i have a few variations.. 150th, 2014EF, Magpie laceup, a couple of old magpie ones)

It would be smart of us to let this continue to turn itself into a "football heritage Vs Eddie" issue. It isn't actually a "Port Vs Collingwood" issue at all.

Making it personal wouldn't be smart.

And don't forget that the two previous Presidents of Collingwood before Eddie were also vehemently opposed to Port bringing that guernsey into the AFL. Including Allan MacAlister who was instrumental in blocking our original entry into the AFL back in 1991.

Focus on the facts and the history and take the high ground to win the battle of public sentiment rather than fighting in the sand pit with the children, remembering the battle is never won in the first quarter.

Keep pressing the fact that the guernsey represents the legacy and history of generations of people in Port Adelaide; their triumphs, their struggles; and their tragedies. The history of the PAFC and that guernsey is an integral part of the history of South Australia. A jumper that has been worn for the vast majority of the 150 years of the most successful club in the oldest Australian Rules footy association in Australia.

Why would anyone want to ban that jumper and that history from the national competition of our national game?

It is a simple question based on the simple undeniable fact that the story of that jumper stands on its own.

I just wish someone would take a step back from the petty personal attacks and ask it.

Last edited:
How about little teal around the number panel like our Away Guernsey in 2003? I really liked how it looked
View attachment 892451

I did too but ...

The club splashed teal more than any of our four colours during its lost years as a 'point of difference'. Had it splashed silver instead we'd have people desiring to somehow add silver to the PB.

The 'point of difference' should be the design, not teal.

Adding teal like you suggest to an iconic jumper with black and white stripes is not going to please Collingwood anyway. They simply do not want any other jumper with black and white stripes so we'd be adulterating the jumper for no worth.

(Horizontal teal piping on the pre-season jumper - WWIT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back