Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My great grandparents and great, great grandparents and their offspring are taller than any generation since (all males 2m+, all females 185cm+) from my mum's, mum's side. I'm 192/193cm and my mum is around 175cm.

Shaq's son is shorter. MJ's sons are shorter. Manute Bol's son is shorter. Ablett Jr is shorter than Ablett SNR.

America is one nation that is getting shorter rather than taller... source Underperformance in affluence: the remarkable relative decline in American heights in the second half of the 20th century by John Komlos and Benjamin Lauderdale.

From memory studies indicate that on average each Australian generation is 4 cm taller than the previous due to improved nutrition environmental factors etc. Given Ablett Senior was 185 cm and his sons Gary and Nathan were 182 and 195 respectively (giving an average height of 188.5) its remarkably spot on.

America is one nation that is getting shorter rather than taller... source Underperformance in affluence: the remarkable relative decline in American heights in the second half of the 20th century by John Komlos and Benjamin Lauderdale.

From memory studies indicate that on average each Australian generation is 4 cm taller than the previous due to improved nutrition environmental factors etc. Given Ablett Senior was 185 cm and his sons Gary and Nathan were 182 and 195 respectively (giving an average height of 188.5) its remarkably spot on.

Is that skewed a bit by changing immigration trends away from predominantly European countries?

Not sure on your point, as I qaa talking about price, but if you were making a point about it being mire than dangerous than a standard hike, did you actually read the article. Deaths are rare and nearly all are the result of altitude sickness or pre-existing conditions.
It’s a risk, more of a risk than some other activities that AFL clubs exclude their players from participating in during off season.

Hitouts is not the Whole Story

Its the main one for ruck men...

Don't forget Josh Fraser averaged more disposals, marks, clearances, goals, contested marks and polled Brownlow votes at nearly twice the rate of Darren Jolly.... not sure who you would rather have out of those two?

It’s a risk, more of a risk than some other activities that AFL clubs exclude their players from participating in during off season.

Can you give an example of a less risky activity that is banned by Collingwood?

How does it compare to something like surfing in terms of serious injury or death? Without looking at data, I suspect stats for surfing deaths are pretty similar and stats for surfing injuries would be much higher, but I sure as hell hope football clubs don't ban their players from surfing.

I'm not really convinced you really get the role of a ruckman :think:

It depends on how much value you place on hitouts. Leigh Matthews believes hitouts are the most useful stat in the game.

The reason for this being hitouts aren't always going to advantage and your side isn't always or even often gaining possession from your hitout.

If you're to assess hitouts. Hitout to advantage v hitout to advantage conceded and results of those outcomes are what would need to be looked at to analyse how effective hitouts were.

Sandilands has the edges in contested possessions, clearances and contested marks per game which are all valuable, but Cox's hitouts could reasonably be around x1.30 had he not shared the ruck duties as much as he did. Further to that, Sandilands playing the past four seasons with Cox retired, you'll find what I'd estimate a doubling of ruck contests which has seen hitout numbers go through the roof with Gawn and Grundy in 2018 both achieving over 1000 hitouts, with Goldstein the only other to do that and similarly doing so after Cox's retirement in 2015.

Sandilands is an all-time great ruckman. Top-10 all time for mine, clearly.

I'm not taking him ahead of Cox though.

Cox's numbers would be much greater than they were had played the same ruck minutes Sandilands has carried. And when West Coast get Nic Naitanui, who at his best is as influential as any ruckman we've seen, he's only playing around 50% gametime through the ruck which does his overall numbers no favours in such comparisons.

Sandilands was/is also extremely handball happy, averaging twice as many handballs to kicks over his career. Great tap ruck and solid but not dominate contested mark. But skill wise isnt on Grundys level, Sandilands simply wasnt capable of some of the bullets Grundy has kicked.

Add more goals and contested marks and Grundys the most complete ruckman the games seen.

Can you give an example of a less risky activity that is banned by Collingwood?

How does it compare to something like surfing in terms of serious injury or death? Without looking at data, I suspect stats for surfing deaths are pretty similar and stats for surfing injuries would be much higher, but I sure as hell hope football clubs don't ban their players from surfing.
Correct.
Let’s stop players getting in cars.

Life has risk. Activity has risk.

Hiking in the Himalayas sounds wonderful for life experience and has residual health aspects you’d think.

Knees and jerking might be reaction of some; id back Brodie myself.

Hitouts is not the Whole Story

Sandi's hit outs to advantage though would be pretty handy, and they're the critical aspect around hit outs.

Sandi's hit outs to advantage though would be pretty handy, and they're the critical aspect around hit outs.

True but I remember Sandi did struggle with hitouts to Advantage early in his Career and also other Teams Roving to his Taps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest Ned guy talks abit of sh*t, and has said a few things i don’t agree with. Grundy isn’t the only ruckman in the AFL playing big minutes in the ruck, Gawn? No surprise they were both AA.

Plus we have Cox for support unlike some other teams, shouldn’t even be a talking point? A fit Elliott with his marking ability also probably lets us play Cox more in the ruck.

To be honest Ned guy talks abit of sh*t, and has said a few things i don’t agree with. Grundy isn’t the only ruckman in the AFL playing big minutes in the ruck, Gawn? No surprise they were both AA.

Plus we have Cox for support unlike some other teams, shouldn’t even be a talking point? A fit Elliott with his marking ability also probably lets us play Cox more in the ruck.
And I’d include for some ruck minutes for Darcy Moore, especially down back at an occasional throw in.

We are blessed with three players really capable of ensuring ruck dominance.

Say Dunn is out injured and Roughead plays we can add him for a few minutes.
Though I’m hoping we do that well that Roughead remains vital in our VFL side.

Yeah I thought it was an interesting paragraph. He’s one of the fittest big men in the game imo. While I don’t think he’ll be able to do it forever, the blokes in his prime and will be doing everything he can to get us over the line.

Yeah I thought it was an interesting paragraph. He’s one of the fittest big men in the game imo. While I don’t think he’ll be able to do it forever, the blokes in his prime and will be doing everything he can to get us over the line.
My feeling is Grundy loves the big minutes in the hub.
But chop outs can not not benefit.

I see Moore Cox being our best bet than Roughead.

People Remember what Happened to Josh Fraser

Josh different type; not as sturdy not as big.

Josh was a wonderful example of being such an elite junior but when he faced the men he was a good player but not great.

Honestly Fraser had more or equal support than Grundy ever has, Fraser was just never a good number 1 ruckman period. Grundys pretty much been the number one ruck since 2013, with small patches of Witts being number 1.

He was an Ottens/David Hale type that needed to be played forward/ruck, not ruck/forward.

A 2002 Josh Fraser up forward, with 2018 Brodie Grundy as the number 1 ruck would be an elite ruck duo.

Honestly Fraser had more or equal support than Grundy ever has, Fraser was just never a good number 1 ruckman period. Grundys pretty much been the number one ruck since 2013, with small patches of Witts being number 1.

He was an Ottens/David Hale type that needed to be played forward/ruck, not ruck/forward.

A 2002 Josh Fraser up forward, with 2018 Brodie Grundy as the number 1 ruck would be an elite ruck duo.
I’m prepared to call it, if Moore is up and about, with him doing some rucking down back (even forward if he returns there) with the main man Grundy that’s elite ruck duo right there.

Throw in Cox (who incidentally has nice tap work) what a trio.

Actually I can think of a better threesom than Grundy, Moore, Cox?

I’m prepared to call it, if Moore is up and about, with him doing some rucking down back (even forward if he returns there) with the main man Grundy that’s elite ruck duo right there.

Throw in Cox (who incidentally has nice tap work) what a trio.

Actually I can think of a better threesom than Grundy, Moore, Cox?

Me to but Miranda Kerr and Kate Beckinsale refuse to take my calls. :(

Me to but Miranda Kerr and Kate Beckinsale refuse to take my calls. :(
Id pass.

I do not like ladies fighting over such things as me :eek:

As if

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back