Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was the Club, I'd be forcing the issue this year.

How often does a football club get the chance to win the flag AND net the number 1 draft pick in the same year? I don't think it's ever happened before.
I don’t think would go down too well with the playing group.

Looking at his stat's this year Brodie is rated ELITE in the following categories, some of which you would not expect to see a ruckman figuring:
Frees For, Bounces, Centre Clearances, stoppage Clearances, Total Clearances, Disposals, Handballs, Rebound 50's, Effective Kicks, Effective Disposals, Contested Possessions, Uncontested Possessions, Ground Ball Gets and Score Involvements.
He really is a special talent and would leave a massive hole if he left.
We have many good years before he retires.

I for one am going to enjoy it to the fill.

• Separate Note: at what stage, if not already will Brodie challenge for our best ruckman in day 50 years. I have Len Thompson as the best but does Brodie take him now?

If I was the Club, I'd be forcing the issue this year.

How often does a football club get the chance to win the flag AND net the number 1 draft pick in the same year? I don't think it's ever happened before.
I was thinking that too but after looking at the phanto's there's no real stand out.
If we keep him til the end of 2020 we get 2 cracks at a flag with the best player in the game in his prime and at the absolute height of his game. No club that gets him after us will get the same output from him in his late 20's.
And at the end of 2020 Jezza Cameron also becomes a FA and we can throw Grundog's salary at him if he leaves.
I say stick.

We have many good years before he retires.

I for one am going to enjoy it to the fill.

• Separate Note: at what stage, if not already will Brodie challenge for our best ruckman in day 50 years. I have Len Thompson as the best but does Brodie take him now?
Len Thompson set new standards for ruckmen for mobility and athleticism. Brodie is setting his own new standards.

We need to keep Brodie more than ever with our other potential A graders like de Goey and Moore injured a lot of the time, or in the former's case carrying injuries. Give him what he wants. And I agree that Peter Moore was athletic too, maybe even more so than Brodie, but not as durable.

Peter Moore might also be in the conversation
Undoubtably.

The triumvirate of Len Thompson, Peter Moore, Brodie Grundy are now comfortably the best trio of rucks in our last five decades or so. No other can match these three in my opinion.

Undoubtably.

The triumvirate of Len Thompson, Peter Moore, Brodie Grundy are now comfortably the best trio of rucks in our last five decades or so. No other can match these three in my opinion.

Who would be in the next tier? I'm in my 40s so my memory gets hazy when we get back to Peter Moore's days. Too young for Thompson.

Jolly and Monkhorst are the ones that spring to mind. I really rated Monky as an effective if unglamorous ruckman. Was the sort of physical presence we lacked for so many years after he retired.

Manson was a very effective second ruck for Monky and sits in that third tier. I think Mason Cox has plenty of scope to get to this level, but he's far more valuable as a forward while Grundy is fit and firing.

Who would be in the next tier? I'm in my 40s so my memory gets hazy when we get back to Peter Moore's days. Too young for Thompson.

Jolly and Monkhorst are the ones that spring to mind. I really rated Monky as an effective if unglamorous ruckman. Was the sort of physical presence we lacked for so many years after he retired.

Manson was a very effective second ruck for Monky and sits in that third tier. I think Mason Cox has plenty of scope to get to this level, but he's far more valuable as a forward while Grundy is fit and firing.
The 4th spot is interesting, as not clear cut.
Between two ruckman in Monkhorst v Jolly.

To me for the longer time of output it was Monkhorst in front but for the few years of his work Jolly was the better.
We don’t win the 2010 flag without Jolly.
Though Monkhorst was influential in 1990 as well.

So to pick only one, for a few years, I’d favour Jolly.

Personality wise I’d absolutely take Monkey over what appears the higher maintenance Jolly.

Overall Monkhorst if everything is taken into account.

The 4th spot is interesting, as not clear cut.
Between two ruckman in Monkhorst v Jolly.

To me for the longer time of output it was Monkhorst in front but for the few years of his work Jolly was the better.
We don’t win the 2010 flag without Jolly.
Though Monkhorst was influential in 1990 as well.

So to pick only one, for a few years, I’d favour Jolly.

Personality wise I’d absolutely take Monkey over what appears the higher maintenance Jolly.

Overall Monkhorst if everything is taken into account.

I agree.

Jolly's influence was huge in 2010.

But as far as Collingwood careers go, Monkhorst wins and I'd take him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1 is overated , its great if its part of the deal to get us something back for Grundy leaving , if it happens.

However its not adequate compensation even if bundled with a player and more picks. Pick 1 could be a bust, to much of an unknown.

I cant see him leaving, he is hitting his prime and playing in front of huge crowds with a promising squad

Peter Moore might also be in the conversation
Really it's a matter of horses for courses with your pick - all slightly different types with different skillsets that they brought to the table.

People tend to forget about the big monkey - not up there with these guys but he had his own way of imposing himself on the opposition, very intimidating and bloody effective.

With all due respect to Brodie, he is yet to surpass Monkey imo. Perhaps this season but its still a while to go.

Monkey was a premiership ruckman at 21, against Simon Madden.

Monkey's 94 season was as good as Brodie's season last year.
It’s a fascinating recollection, but in my view alas no. Brodie is a superior player already.
Monkhorst was a really good ruckman, capable, applied himself, talented.
Grundy is steps ahead, just does more, creates a unique drive.
He’ll likely finish up in the elite group of rucks.

It’s a fascinating recollection, but in my view alas no. Brodie is a superior player already.
If Grundy continues to improve his reading of the ball flight and thus continues to improve his marking, you'll need to create a whole new category above elite.

Undoubtably.

What about Monkhurst?

No argument their saintly, just saying that Monkey represented the old school ruckman - pure intimidation and power and did it better than anyone else at the time.

Grundy is the new generation - sharp and strong but far higher skilled and capable of tracking the contested ball all the way up the field if necassary.

With all due respect to Brodie, he is yet to surpass Monkey imo. Perhaps this season but its still a while to go.

Monkey was a premiership ruckman at 21, against Simon Madden.

Monkey's 94 season was as good as Brodie's season last year.
I was interested and having not seen him play I looked up his stats
He only averaged 13 hitouts? were there way less ball ups back then?

I don't think your giving Monkey enough credit for the work he did to be honest...

Monkhorst at 21 beat Madden (Essendon team of the Century) and Salmon (Hawthorn team of the century) in 1990 and had 17 touches in the GF...

Grundy at 24 broke all types of ruckman records that no-one cares about and had ten touches in a losing team against Scott Lycett and Nathan Vardy....

Id imagine so and Im pretty sure they only credited the ruckman if it was clear they won it, also don't forget Centre square bounces were off a 25 metre run up, not a two step reach.

Allowing for possession inflation, ie midfielders get 30 when they used to get 20... Monkey would be right up there with Grundy in possession averages I would guess.

The best outcome by far for us is that Grundy re-signs.

If you have selection 1 or 2 in the draft you just hope your clubs recruiting department unearths a player that becomes as good as Grundy.

When you have that known commodity already in your hands they're worth so much more than any pick 1 or 2 as that pick remains a speculative selection until it proves a worthy one.

Grundy is already worth his weight in gold.

I Just checked hitout numbers from a range of blokes in that era, they were all much lower than today's ruckmen record. I'd say it's a bit of a combination of less time on ground, as ruckmen often changed on the bench, less stoppages, ruckmen covering less ground and thus getting to a fewer % of stoppages, but also judging by the size of the difference in numbers between periods, I suspect that they also record the stat differently today than they used to, may have had to be a clearer win to be registered as a stat in those days.

What about Monkhurst?

Next level down, Grundy already better in every area other than marking I'd guess. Monkey had a bit more mongrel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back