Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what happens when you sign for over a million and you don’t perform to that level.

So he needs to get Every Hit Out have at least 30 Touches and Kick 5 Goals a Game at least IF he does not then he is a Dud then?

Because he had such a poor year last year, after signing his huge contract. If he was to have another poor year, I feel his best would definitely be behind him, and he would have shown us that he couldn’t meet our expectations.
If he has a good year this year, then last year goes down as a poor year due to the nature of the 2020 season with travel hubs etc.

Last edited:
That’s what happens when you sign for over a million and you don’t perform to that level [/QUONot Not only signed, he , manager , demanded and stated he is worth a $ million a year .... Grundy and Manager held the club to ransom, me personally, Brodie, $800 k a year for 3 years , sign Don`t like the offer of what we think your worth .... Thank you Adelaide for the 2 first round drafts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hate to see how you'd be if you were a Sydney supporter (Buddy's hardly played for three years!)
Not everything is about $$$ is it?
I'd hate to see how you'd be if you were a Sydney supporter (Buddy's hardly played for three years!)
Not everything is about $$$ is it?
There’s a difference there of significant proportion. Franklin was never going to see out his nine year deal. Sydney lured Franklin away from Hawthorn through free agency, and therefore had to offer something extremely enticing. The recruitment was also to assist them with marketing and memberships, in a similar fashion to when they recruited Lockett. Franklin was a match winner as well, and one of the best players to watch since Ablett senior. Grundy isn’t a match winner. Franklin is injured, Grundy was sorely out of form last year.
Franklin will go down as a great of the game, I’d like to think Grundy will, but I can’t see it happening.
Unfortunately yes, it is all about money. Money has the power to lure players, keep players and make players crack under pressure.
This is the world we live in, and money has been making the world go round since its invention. If it wasn’t all about money then Grundy could convert his long locks to deadlocks, wear a loin cloth and become a sadhu and move to an ashram. He seems like a pretty spiritual guy.
Personally I’d prefer it if he cut his hair like Wes Fellowes and learned to tap ruck like Len Thompson, who incidentally - left over a money dispute.

Last edited:
In a salary capped league if you hold the club to ransom and force out the maximum possible salary for yourself of course you put a target on your back if you don't perform because you've put your own financial greed ahead of team success.
How exactly did he hold the club to ransom?

Make or break year for him. This year is career defining.
It really isn't make or break at all. He's a 26 year-old coming off a down year where he was still a top 5 ruck in the comp.

We were desperate for a ruckmen in a premiership window, he knew that and refused to sign until he got 7 years 7 million which is an utterly ridiculous contract
What a s**t bloke for doing best by him! None of us would've done that

It really isn't make or break at all. He's a 26 year-old coming off a down year where he was still a top 5 ruck in the comp.

What a sh*t bloke for doing best by him! None of us would've done that
I think it is make or break, hence I’m standing by my opinion. You are welcome to yours

So he needs to get Every Hit Out have at least 30 Touches and Kick 5 Goals a Game at least IF he does not then he is a Dud then?
No he doesn't and I'm not going to read much into the Tigers game because it was basically a practice match. He does need to improve though and he is very frustrating to watch. If you think he is back to his best after that game you are kidding yourself. He had a couple of taps and a couple of tackles of note. Most of his game was poor and it didn't look much different than last year. He dropped many marks and was to often on his hands and knees.

With 22sec to go on that last play he prepared himself for the final center bounce. Flat footed he barely got off the ground and lost the tap to Chol. I'm no strategist but I would have thought he would have a better plan than to just raise his arm hoping to make contact with the ball. Why wouldn't he get back from the bounce and get some momentum. Run up and try to get above his opponent?

Another lazy trait I see from Grundy most games is his inability when he takes a mark to get back off the mark. That's something you're taught in juniors. Grundy marks the ball and stands there looking to dish off and when he can't he's standing flat footed and needs to kick the ball high to get it over the opposition player.

I'm not sure we can run with Grundy, Cox and Cameron in the same side so I would be tempted to go with Cox and Cameron. At least they can push forward and kick a goal or three. Especially when Checkers comes back in.

No he doesn't and I'm not going to read much into the Tigers game because it was basically a practice match. He does need to improve though and he is very frustrating to watch. If you think he is back to his best after that game you are kidding yourself. He had a couple of taps and a couple of tackles of note. Most of his game was poor and it didn't look much different than last year. He dropped many marks and was to often on his hands and knees.

With 22sec to go on that last play he prepared himself for the final center bounce. Flat footed he barely got off the ground and lost the tap to Chol. I'm no strategist but I would have thought he would have a better plan than to just raise his arm hoping to make contact with the ball. Why wouldn't he get back from the bounce and get some momentum. Run up and try to get above his opponent?

Another lazy trait I see from Grundy most games is his inability when he takes a mark to get back off the mark. That's something you're taught in juniors. Grundy marks the ball and stands there looking to dish off and when he can't he's standing flat footed and needs to kick the ball high to get it over the opposition player.

I'm not sure we can run with Grundy, Cox and Cameron in the same side so I would be tempted to go with Cox and Cameron. At least they can push forward and kick a goal or three. Especially when Checkers comes back in.
I don’t think we have seen Grundy spend much time on the forward line. I’d like to see more of it to see what he can do.

You make some very good observations, however it’s a big call to say you’d go with Cox and Cameron.

Grundy is in our top 4 players. He has been a 2x AA, is still relatively young for a ruckman and is a really good marketing/poster boy for the pies (although Moore is fast becoming the ‘face’ of Collingwood).
Personally, I do think we caved in (again) and I think $800k pa (5 yrs) would have been about the mark. If Grundy wasn’t happy with that, well I’m sure we could have coped with extra $$ in the cap and high draft picks.
If you believe you are worth $1m pa, then the club has a right to expect you to play as one of the top players in the game. Last year’s performance was not of a $1m pa player.
Having said that, Grundy is a proud, intelligent person and hard worker. I’m sure he will bounce back strongly this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back