Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are the coaching staff going to tell Grundy to stop kicking dinky short passes when he takes a mark or wins a free and also remind him to tske 3 or 4 quick steps back from the mark before kicking the pill. He drives me insane with this habit.

Help we get Good Coaches 1st and a Actual Ruck Coach as well

No he doesn't and I'm not going to read much into the Tigers game because it was basically a practice match. He does need to improve though and he is very frustrating to watch. If you think he is back to his best after that game you are kidding yourself. He had a couple of taps and a couple of tackles of note. Most of his game was poor and it didn't look much different than last year. He dropped many marks and was to often on his hands and knees.

With 22sec to go on that last play he prepared himself for the final center bounce. Flat footed he barely got off the ground and lost the tap to Chol. I'm no strategist but I would have thought he would have a better plan than to just raise his arm hoping to make contact with the ball. Why wouldn't he get back from the bounce and get some momentum. Run up and try to get above his opponent?

Another lazy trait I see from Grundy most games is his inability when he takes a mark to get back off the mark. That's something you're taught in juniors. Grundy marks the ball and stands there looking to dish off and when he can't he's standing flat footed and needs to kick the ball high to get it over the opposition player.

I'm not sure we can run with Grundy, Cox and Cameron in the same side so I would be tempted to go with Cox and Cameron. At least they can push forward and kick a goal or three. Especially when Checkers comes back in.

Then I Guess we be trying to Trade Grundy at Seasons End Then:rolleyes:

Only at Collingwood. Grundy cant be blamed because he was in demand made a claim and the club said yes. Still might work out well, so there's nothing to see yet.

Another Team would of Given him that Deal then too

No he doesn't and I'm not going to read much into the Tigers game because it was basically a practice match. He does need to improve though and he is very frustrating to watch. If you think he is back to his best after that game you are kidding yourself. He had a couple of taps and a couple of tackles of note. Most of his game was poor and it didn't look much different than last year. He dropped many marks and was to often on his hands and knees.

With 22sec to go on that last play he prepared himself for the final center bounce. Flat footed he barely got off the ground and lost the tap to Chol. I'm no strategist but I would have thought he would have a better plan than to just raise his arm hoping to make contact with the ball. Why wouldn't he get back from the bounce and get some momentum. Run up and try to get above his opponent?

Another lazy trait I see from Grundy most games is his inability when he takes a mark to get back off the mark. That's something you're taught in juniors. Grundy marks the ball and stands there looking to dish off and when he can't he's standing flat footed and needs to kick the ball high to get it over the opposition player.

I'm not sure we can run with Grundy, Cox and Cameron in the same side so I would be tempted to go with Cox and Cameron. At least they can push forward and kick a goal or three. Especially when Checkers comes back in.
Thank god you're not the coach

So he needs to get Every Hit Out have at least 30 Touches and Kick 5 Goals a Game at least IF he does not then he is a Dud then?

No, but actually having a positive influence on the game you’d expect from the teams second highest paid player would be a good start though.

But the dream team generation only care about stats. 50 hitouts is apparently great even if we lose the clearances 20-10 because his 50 hitouts went straight to the opposition or landed at his own feet.

Another Team would of Given him that Deal then too

No they wouldn’t and no we can’t trade him, unless we want to pay a player on another team 500,000 a season to play against us.

We could end up spending a million a year on other clubs players, how good is Ned Guy!!!

So he needs to get Every Hit Out have at least 30 Touches and Kick 5 Goals a Game at least IF he does not then he is a Dud then?
He needs to take more contested marks up forward and score more goals to be worth the money.

Every top midfielder is a dangerous option when they push forward if he wants their kind of money he needs to have their kind of impact.

Then we should have let them
We’ve probably over paid a bit, but I don’t see it as a major issue. The length of contract should enable us to manage the cap. Grundy is a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they wouldn’t and no we can’t trade him, unless we want to pay a player on another team 500,000 a season to play against us.

We could end up spending a million a year on other clubs players, how good is Ned Guy!!!
The Treloar situation came about because of pushing his contract back. I don’t believe this is the case with Grundy.

Well Buddy got well over 1 mil last year for sitting it out.

Because we’re great at that...
As long as we pay what is agreed upon each year, there shouldn’t be an issue. We got into strife because we were living on credit.

Some people have an axe to grind and some just love cutting champs down to size TD don't let it bother you mate.

We were desperate for a ruckmen in a premiership window, he knew that and refused to sign until he got 7 years 7 million which is an utterly ridiculous contract

Crows were apparently offering similar money for 5 years. Opted to stay for unders.

Your theory on Grundy being overpaid is based on media speculation too.

In terms of common sense, I'd be suggesting that us going to 7 years would have likely been aligned with him coming down in amount per year.

The clear difference is, with one figure virtually every single journalistic organization in Australia ran with the "Grundy 7 years 7 million" rumour, whilst not a SINGLE one went with the number Jackcass was quoting.

If you want to argue it was theoretically possible he could be offered that much, sure, go for it. I would disagree, but that has nothing to do with the discussion or Jackcass being caught out bullshitting again.

Remember at the time there was only a small handful of players in the entire league earning over 900k, and you wanna offer a star ruckmen (One without brilliant tapwork and doesn't kick goals) 1.4 million per year? You reckon he's worth considerably more than Dusty and Gablett at their peaks? Ridiculous. As I said though, that's a completely different argument.

We could of got Dusty on the cheap, remember him shopping himself around? No one would touch him, thought he was a bad boy /bad influence. $750k woulda been a steal.

The clear difference is, with one figure virtually every single journalistic organization in Australia ran with the "Grundy 7 years 7 million" rumour, whilst not a SINGLE one went with the number Jackcass was quoting.
I think all the stars are ridiculously overpaid in terms of the cap. Surely the pay scales in the AFL can't be so ridiculous that one bloke is the equivalent of 4 or 5 of his senior teammates? It's a team sport FFS. The media try to sell us the American story of heroic individual match winners, but no individual ever wins a match of afl. Hawks kept winning without Buddy. Cats kept winning without Gaz. Why the hell have the clubs bought the media s**t, AKA the player manager spin.

Last edited:
If you want to argue it was theoretically possible he could be offered that much, sure, go for it. I would disagree, but that has nothing to do with the discussion or Jackcass being caught out bullshitting again.

Remember at the time there was only a small handful of players in the entire league earning over 900k, and you wanna offer a star ruckmen (One without brilliant tapwork and doesn't kick goals) 1.4 million per year? You reckon he's worth considerably more than Dusty and Gablett at their peaks? Ridiculous. As I said though, that's a completely different argument.

Yeah i think he was brownlow 2018 and 2019 but ruckmen havent won since Stynes. Not sold on $1.4 but to the right team, it was plausible and overs. Then youve got the Kreuzer factor - last #1 draft pick, clubs havent given up #1 for ruck since. The same level of restraint would have potentially been a limiter to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back