Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is still NQR. That said below average Grundy is still better than most rucks in the league. Hopefully he gets back to his best soon. Yes he's on a lot of cash, players can be moved if need be, even on that sort of contract. I don't think it will come to that.

It was interesting to watch. Jeez footy changes quickly. The two best players of 2019 were out there tonight, who I thought would both be in their absoulte prime right now - Cripps and Grundy - and they both looked a touch slow. I thought Grundy was good though, but 7 years on huge money isn;t looking good.

I thought Grundy had way more influence than Cripps. Cripps had a few more disposals and a better de%, but Grundy nearly matched him on clearances (-1), had 51 HO’s, and more score involvements (+2), more tackles (+1), and also got behind the footy for 5 R50s.

He looked so exhausted at times last night. Clearly not match fit - I guess that can be expected at this time of the year.

At a crucial stage in the last Qtr when Carlton had a run on ...he let his opponent stream past him into the forward line to create a free marking target. It looked like a terrible effort from Grundy, but I can only assume he was completely spent.

Thankfully Carlton once again bungled their forward attack and we weren't punished - but it could have changed the game.

He is still miles off for what he is being paid - pretty disappointing for mine.

I reckon Grundy had a crack last night for most part but he is just off at the moment. dropped marks, fumbles, skill errors. something is amiss.

Same can be said for the whole team. Even Moore who has clearly been our best player across the 1st 2 rounds could have been better with some of his field kicking. It’s a long season, happy for the team to improve round by round.

I thought Grundy had way more influence than Cripps. Cripps had a few more disposals and a better de%, but Grundy nearly matched him on clearances (-1), had 51 HO’s, and more score involvements (+2), more tackles (+1), and also got behind the footy for 5 R50s.
It really did shock me how poor Cripps looked. Pendles was putting far less work into him than last time out and he was somehow worse.

It really did shock me how poor Cripps looked. Pendles was putting far less work into him than last time out and he was somehow worse.

Tom Brown asked if he was fit in Teague’s post match such was his lack of impact.

Longing for the day he can get back to grabbing the ball out of the ruck and disposing of it, rather than tapping it to a 50/50 contest.

Don’t know if it’s coach’s orders or what but he need to start doing that if he gets the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe youre confusing lack of form with lack of care

No his form was down for mine because it was obvious he wasn't in the right headspace last season.
When you compare him to an Pendles or Adams-- they don't get flustered so easily by being in a hub for example. The mindset is different.
The club even admitted this.

Longing for the day he can get back to grabbing the ball out of the ruck and disposing of it, rather than tapping it to a 50/50 contest.

Don’t know if it’s coach’s orders or what but he need to start doing that if he gets the chance.
He's said himself that it's coaches orders

Look he was better last night that being said, his Ruckwork from the bounce is awful. winning that many hitouts means we should have at least a handful of clear centre clearances per game, the ones where our mids get to stream forward untouched.
His marking is terrible too, Its never been great but too many easily dropped marks.
His work rate is still high but that used to mean opponents would be gassed and too worried about him thus take the offence out of their own game, that is not happening anymore.
Grundy is highly suited by the stoppage game of the last few years, he just works over his opponent and grinds them into the ground, the more free flowing style takes away some of his powers and I think opposition rucks are happy to run off and hurt him the other way.
I am only judging him on the $ and what we are getting in return, It may change, hope it does but IMO we have paid way overs and may have some decks to clear going forward.

Look he was better last night that being said, his Ruckwork from the bounce is awful. winning that many hitouts means we should have at least a handful of clear centre clearances per game, the ones where our mids get to stream forward untouched.
His marking is terrible too, Its never been great but too many easily dropped marks.
His work rate is still high but that used to mean opponents would be gassed and too worried about him thus take the offence out of their own game, that is not happening anymore.
Grundy is highly suited by the stoppage game of the last few years, he just works over his opponent and grinds them into the ground, the more free flowing style takes away some of his powers and I think opposition rucks are happy to run off and hurt him the other way.
I am only judging him on the $ and what we are getting in return, It may change, hope it does but IMO we have paid way overs and may have some decks to clear going forward.

Maybe our Mids should lift as well not just Grundy getting better taps.

Judging him on his Salary just mean no one will be happy unless he Dominates

Maybe our Mids should lift as well not just Grundy getting better taps.

Judging him on his Salary just mean no one will be happy unless he Dominates
Dave, I just call what I see and I really don't think he is hitting to advantage all that often, nothing new really but on his salary he is going to be judged.
Grundy as a ruck should have his best years ahead and the club would expect him to improve and go up a level even further than what he is.
He is obviously a fantastic player but there are parts of his game that are not there yet especially contested marking and really taking advantage of his tap work.
Maybe I'm a tad harsh but he's being paid with the really big fish now and the expectation level has gone up.

Dave, I just call what I see and I really don't think he is hitting to advantage all that often, nothing new really but on his salary he is going to be judged.
Grundy as a ruck should have his best years ahead and the club would expect him to improve and go up a level even further than what he is.
He is obviously a fantastic player but there are parts of his game that are not there yet especially contested marking and really taking advantage of his tap work.
Maybe I'm a tad harsh but he's being paid with the really big fish now and the expectation level has gone up.

I actually saw Grundy take advantage of his Taps a Few Times last night and that what he was doing when he was in Top Form.

Not There 100% Yet but is Getting his Form Back

He's said himself that it's coaches orders
In that case, the coach is an idiot. All he then becomes is a tap ruckman which there are plenty of in the league and on much much less dollars.

He’s getting paid big money to be one of the most influential players out there. By stifling his ability to add clearance work to his bag of tricks is absolutely ridiculous and a huge waste of money that could have been put towards an elite midfielder.

In that case, the coach is an idiot. All he then becomes is a tap ruckman which there are plenty of in the league and on much much less dollars.

He’s getting paid big money to be one of the most influential players out there. By stifling his ability to add clearance work to his bag of tricks is absolutely ridiculous and a huge waste of money that could have been put towards an elite midfielder.
In defence of the coaches on this one. If he's been told not to grab it out of the ruck, I daresay it's because they've looked at the data and realised that Grundy grabbing it and then skewing a rushed kick thirty metres in our direction doesn't have a positive outcome in the long run. I do think when we're getting smashed like we were against the Dogs though, they have to break things up and try something different that the Dogs weren't comfortable with.

In defence of the coaches on this one. If he's been told not to grab it out of the ruck, I daresay it's because they've looked at the data and realised that Grundy grabbing it and then skewing a rushed kick thirty metres in our direction doesn't have a positive outcome in the long run. I do think when we're getting smashed like we were against the Dogs though, they have to break things up and try something different that the Dogs weren't comfortable with.
If that’s the case then they need to plan for that 30 metre kick down the line rather than a 60/40 tap in our favour.

So many times at boundary throw ins you see Grundy get to the ball with a metre or two on his opponents and rather than gathering it unopposed and kicking or handballing to a team mate he double handed taps it to no one but space. Infuriating.

Just need to look at Hawkins tonight and how dangerous good ruck work can be when you can grab it out of the air and do something with it. And he’s not even a proper ruckman!

As I mentioned if they think Grundy isn’t good enough to be a clearance player in addition to his tap work then why did they bother throwing a million dollars his way when you can get an elite midfielder for that.

So many times at boundary throw ins you see Grundy get to the ball with a metre or two on his opponents and rather than gathering it unopposed and kicking or handballing to a team mate he double handed taps it to no one but space. Infuriating.

I agree on this one - to me that should be a grab and handball every time. However, in the ball up situation - the 30 metre blind hack forward - I doubt the outcome is generally good there.

And Hawkins may not play ruck, but I think he's got the second most effective ruck work around - behind Nicnat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back