Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak above his head, weak at reading the ball, weak below his knees - worth 900k over 7 years. This is a stain on the history of the CFC.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was never an overly strong overhead mark and his work below his knees is fine for a big bloke. The only thing that’s changed between 2018-19 and this season is the expectations of posters due to his salary.

Everything is relative - on current terms, he's a disgrace.

So let me get this, the vast majority were thrilled we re-signed him, a little miffed about the duration of the deal, and now they’re carrying on because we’re actually paying him what we re-signed him for. Never change BF.

He was never an overly strong overhead mark and his work below his knees is fine for a big bloke. The only thing that’s changed between 2018-19 and this season is the expectations of posters due to his salary.
I disagree. He was a far more effective player in 2018. Now his impact on clearances has diminished. The second and third efforts are not there or don't win us the ball. He never did take many marks or kick goals, but seems even less likely to do so now. How do his current stats compare to those of 2018?

I disagree. He was a far more effective player in 2018. Now his impact on clearances has diminished. The second and third efforts are not there or don't win us the ball. He never did take many marks or kick goals, but seems even less likely to do so now. How do his current stats compare to those of 2018?

Better in some areas, worse in others.

Here's some stats I posted earlier in the thread. They were compiled before the game against the Swannies and North.

2018​
2019​
2020​
2021​
Disposals
20.2​
21.3​
14.4​
19.3​
Marks
3.5​
4.4​
3​
2.9​
Hit Outs
39.9​
42.6​
31.4​
41.1​
HO win %
55.5​
53.9​
51.6​
61.1​
HO to advantage
32.1​
28.7​
27.8​
33.7​
Clearances
5.2​
6.1​
3.2​
4​
Tackles
5.2​
4.3​
3.6​
5​
Goals
0.3​
0.3​
0.2​
0.6​
ITC's
2.6​
2.9​
1.9​
3.9​

Last edited:
Here's some stats I posted earlier in the thread. They were compiled before the game against the Swannies.
Just look at his highlights from 2018 and compare them to today and you wouldn't be flogging that dead horse anymore. If you want to believe that he is as good today as he was then, well that's your choice but no amount of stats can hide what we are seeing today compared to 2018

Here's some stats I posted earlier in the thread. They were compiled before the game against the Swannies.
Marks and clearances are down but otherwise I am surprised by the comparative figures. Perhaps I need to wash the dollar signs out of my eyes when I watch him play.

Just look at his highlights from 2018 and compare them to today and you wouldn't be flogging that dead horse anymore. If you want to believe that he is as good today as he was then, well that's your choice but no amount of stats can hide what we are seeing today compared to 2018

LOL. I'd be pretty sure that if we had the full gamut of stats we'd also see that his GPS numbers are up both in terms of the amount of ground he's covering and the pace at which he's covering it. That he was a member of a team that went within a NTTAWWTteenth of a flag in 2018 and made a PF in 2019 is likely more relevant to the perceived quality of his performances in 2021 than anything else.

LOL. I'd be pretty sure that if we had the full gamut of stats we'd also see that his GPS numbers are up both in terms of the amount of ground he's covering and the pace at which he's covering it. That he was a member of a team that went within a NTTAWWTteenth of a flag in 2018 and made a PF in 2019 is likely more relevant to the perceived quality of his performances in 2021 than anything else.
Nah, mutton dressed as lamb, big deal, he runs a lot, you can continue to believe what you do but everyone has eyes and your stats just don't hold up in reality

Nah, mutton dressed as lamb, big deal, he runs a lot, you can continue to believe what you do but everyone has eyes and your stats just don't hold up in reality

Maybe it's just you're reality that's the issue.

I agree. Pure stats don't tell you anything about the true value of a player's performance and contribution to the team. They don't record second efforts, their shepherding, the defensive efforts to punch the ball clear in marking contests, the ability to get to the most useful positions on the ground, their speed across the ground, sheer determination, leadership, encouraging team mates. To my eye, Grundy is almost robotic out there these days and nowhere near as inspiring as he used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Pure stats don't tell you anything about the true value of a player's performance and contribution to the team. They don't record second efforts, their shepherding, the defensive efforts to punch the ball clear in marking contests, the ability to get to the most useful positions on the ground, their speed across the ground, sheer determination, leadership, encouraging team mates. To my eye, Grundy is almost robotic out there these days and nowhere near as inspiring as he used to be.
I can't swallow the garbage that he is just as good this year year, he is a shadow of what he was

This is accurate in my opinion. His overhead marking has been okay, but it's never been a stand out trait of his.
The fact he said he isn't allowed to take the ball out of the ruck, when the rules mean you wont get pinged for holding the ball is bewildering though.
It's a strength that is being taken away by our own coaches.

This is accurate in my opinion. His overhead marking has been okay, but it's never been a stand out trait of his.
The fact he said he isn't allowed to take the ball out of the ruck, when the rules mean you wont get pinged for holding the ball is bewildering though.
It's a strength that is being taken away by our own coaches.
Particularly when Hickey plucked it out of the ruck against him last week.

Marks and clearances are down but otherwise I am surprised by the comparative figures. Perhaps I need to wash the dollar signs out of my eyes when I watch him play.
Not at all - as it’s all about commensurate value.

As a $500k player he’d probably be great value. But that’s not the case....

Good to see Grundy back to his Best and was Dominant in 1st Half.

Needs to Back it up now
His opponent got over 20 possessions and Grundy had a much quieter 2nd half. Didn't see much of Grundy after the 1st quarter. Not 'back to his best' in my opinion. We lost and he contributed to our defeat.

His opponent got over 20 possessions and Grundy had a much quieter 2nd half. Didn't see much of Grundy after the 1st quarter. Not 'back to his best' in my opinion. We lost and he contributed to our defeat.
Rubbish. Grundy had a great game. Did you go?

Bigger Reasons we lost then Grundy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back