Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Personally having watched him I don't think he is going to make it. Daicos has more upside than Brown IMO, so 2019 shapes as a big year.
I don't think they're particularly similar. Brown at times has shown some excellent inside mid traits, but has appeared to lose confidence in the second half of the year. Daicos looks like an outside link an to me. Both look significantly better than they were last year, so I'm still quite bullish about both of them.

Hmmm - how many games has Browny played? 11? 12?
I also recall the negativity towards Swanny in his early days (too slow)
And Mason
And Sier (before he even played a senior game)

I know this is BF but lets cool our jets before we make judgements on Callum. He's a kid who clearly is going through a form slump.

I'd hate to see the flak Stephenson cops when he eventually has a poor run of form.

A lot will depend on him, if he want's to just do the compulsory training drills and go through the motions he most certainly won't make it, but if he's willing to leave no stone unturned and hit the gym hard he's every chance.

I have full faith in Callum and so does the Club. We just extended his contract.

Two poor games in a row......he was a ghost against Sydney and was disappointing IMO against Port.

Needs a big game in the VFL this week..........get back on track.

Brown, Jok and Woodward likely our only genuine 4 quarter players in the EF. Can't do more than shine on the big stage.

He'll become a good player. Next year he should be a regular, I reckon - as an inside mid. Not sure there's room for him at this point though.
That's the one worry I have, when treloar is back there wont be many opportunities for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the one worry I have, when treloar is back there wont be many opportunities for him.
He needs to make an opportunity and we need guys like Cal and Daicos pushing.

Once he toughens up a little more and gets stronger he will be quite capable of holding his own.

Time and a little patience needed here

He needs to make an opportunity and we need guys like Cal and Daicos pushing.

Once he toughens up a little more and gets stronger he will be quite capable of holding his own.

Time and a little patience needed here
Who’s he going to push out though? Adams? Treloar? Pendles? Sidey? Even Sier is well ahead of him now. I have no doubt he’ll become a capable footballer but I don’t see a spot for him without injuries.

Who’s he going to push out though? Adams? Treloar? Pendles? Sidey? Even Sier is well ahead of him now. I have no doubt he’ll become a capable footballer but I don’t see a spot for him without injuries.

You only need to push out one person to gain a foothold.

Its not that difficult to see him pushing out one of Mayne Greenwood Varcoe and even possibly Aish Thomas or Phillips during 2019. Moving some chess pieces around to fit an extra inside mid is not that hard to imagine.

Sier is well ahead of him at the moment because hes been in the system an extra year and is physically more ready at a younger age. A year ago Sier wasnt even on the radar, so it doesnt take much sometimes to take the next step.

Its not that difficult to see him pushing out one of Mayne Greenwood Varcoe and even possibly Aish Thomas or Phillips during 2019. Moving some chess pieces around to fit an extra inside mid is not that hard to imagine.

Sier is well ahead of him at the moment because hes been in the system an extra year and is physically more ready at a younger age. A year ago Sier wasnt even on the radar, so it doesnt take much sometimes to take the next step.
No chance of him pushing out any outside players, no chance of him pushing out Thomas. Maybe Varcoe, but if Elliott is fit that spot is his.

I’m not convinced that he’s going to be a good enough player to shuffle the deck chairs to fit him in either. That’s what you do for your best players, not fringe inside mids.

If he wants to be best 22 he has to earn the right to it, I think the next 12 months will be telling. I am still on the fence as to where he will end up in his footy but pretty sure there is plenty more upside to his game as he develops.

No chance of him pushing out any outside players, no chance of him pushing out Thomas. Maybe Varcoe, but if Elliott is fit that spot is his.

I’m not convinced that he’s going to be a good enough player to shuffle the deck chairs to fit him in either. That’s what you do for your best players, not fringe inside mids.

As I said, this time last year nobody envisaged Sier making the grade either. Or Thomas. To write him off so readily is lacking in some vision.

Pendlebury and Sidebottom will gradually get retired off to the flanks/wings as they get older too, so theres always going to be changes to the structure, even if its subtle, and not just for the reasons of making room for a player like Brown. Its really quite overly dogmatic to say Brown has no chance of pushing out any outside players. He has as good a chance to move up to the seniors as anybody not in the current best 22 (except Elliott who clearly is a class above).

Time will tell as they say in the classics. Hes certainly first in line after Treloar for the rest of the 2018 season imo if we lose any midfielders.

If he wants to be best 22 he has to earn the right to it, I think the next 12 months will be telling. I am still on the fence as to where he will end up in his footy but pretty sure there is plenty more upside to his game as he develops.

Yeah hes too lightly framed yet to be a senior player. Wont get any taller obviously and that will always be a concern but I think he will build a bit of a creative outside game (and better kicking) once he has more muscle on him.

As I said, this time last year nobody envisaged Sier making the grade either. Or Thomas. To write him off so readily is lacking in some vision.
Maybe with Sier, but that’s patently untrue about Thomas. There were plenty who were happy with his output last year and please his contract was extended. And I never wrote Brown off. I specifically said he could make the grade, but I don’t see a spot for him in the next 12-24 months in a completely stacked midfield. We can barely fit in JDG, I don’t see how Brown could fit in without injuries occurring.
Pendlebury and Sidebottom will gradually get retired off to the flanks/wings as they get older too, so theres always going to be changes to the structure, even if its subtle, and not just for the reasons of making room for a player like Brown. Its really quite overly dogmatic to say Brown has no chance of pushing out any outside players. He has as good a chance to move up to the seniors as anybody not in the current best 22 (except Elliott who clearly is a class above).

Time will tell as they say in the classics. Hes certainly first in line after Treloar for the rest of the 2018 season imo if we lose any midfielders.
No, it’s reality. Brown is as inside as they come. He’s not pushing on to a wing any time soon. As for the rest, you’ve misread my initial post, so you’re waffling on about nothing.

I like Brown and I think he'll be a good player over his career but I'm always loath to shuffle deck chairs without good reason. He still needs to be outperforming whomever he replaces or wait for a timely injury to get that foot in the door. His best chances will be contingent on him showing some capacity to play positions other than inside mid and that's the negative with him at the moment insomuch as he is purely an inside mid who is quite good on the spread. Hopefully another preseason and we'll see that capacity evolve.

I like Brown and I think he'll be a good player over his career but I'm always loath to shuffle deck chairs without good reason. He still needs to be outperforming whomever he replaces or wait for a timely injury to get that foot in the door. His best chances will be contingent on him showing some capacity to play positions other than inside mid and that's the negative with him at the moment insomuch as he is purely an inside mid who is quite good on the spread. Hopefully another preseason and we'll see that capacity evolve.

Good points.

To be clear I'm not proposing we make room for him this for September, just proposing how he might make it in via natural evolution in coming years.

Last edited:
And I never wrote Brown off. I specifically said he could make the grade, but I don’t see a spot for him in the next 12-24 months in a completely stacked midfield.

Fair enough, although if hes not established in the 22 within 24 months then almost certainly he hasnt made the grade after four seasons.

You have kinda written him off unless you think hes going to make the grade in season 5. If hes still on the list by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back