Toast Cameron & Haynes in the AA Squad! Jezza's 2nd AA!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeremy Cameron, GWS GIANTS
All Australian 2013.
20 games in 2019.
319 disposals. 229 kicks, 130 marks, 90 handballs averaging 16 disposals, 11.5 kicks, 6.5 marks, 4.5 handballs. 67 Goals, 45 Behinds (First in the AFL in goals). 64 Inside 50m. 4 Rebound 50m. 26 tackles.

Nick Haynes, GWS GIANTS
19 games in 2019.
346 disposals. 256 kicks, 149 marks, 90 handballs averaging 18.2 disposals, 13.5 kicks, 7.8 marks, 4.7 handballs. 33 Inside 50m, 79 Rebound 50m. 29 tackles.

Guys like Cogs and Whitfield missed too many games IMO. Great to see Haynes get recognised - that's an honest surprise.

Zac Williams stiff IMO. McCluggage will be a very good player but has he seriously been that much better than Hopper or Taranto this year?

Williams has been a bit hot or cold, plus only came into the middle late in the piece.

McCluggage has been playing a true wing position, so potentially measured on different criteria to Hopper or Taranto who'd be up against inside mids where there's more of a glut of players (Neale, Cripps, etc).

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well done to both Jezza and Nick Haynes, both extremely well deserved. I expect Jezza will make the actual AA team (as Coleman medallist & best score involvement of the KPFs), but unfortunately I suspect Nick will miss out - he's not flamboyant or well known enough outside of Sydney.

Lachie very stiff in terms of his impact on games being AA-worthy, but figured that only 16 games would give the selectors enough of an excuse to exclude him in favour of others. Usual problem of trying to crowbar too many well-performed and favoured players into the squad, and it's an easy out for selectors to blame insufficient game time.

Taranto I thought might squeak in, but unsurprised that he didn't. He is as deserving as McCullage (IMHO) in overall terms (i.e. pure comparative performance over the whole year), but I agree with dlanod that Taranto being in a more heavily contested position worked against him. And probably the fact that Brisbane finished higher and had less injuries so Clug benefitted from a stable, high-performing midfield. Still, that's no slight on TT's year which was superb.

Zac I thought might squeak in too, but agree that he was a bit hot and cold, and in the end finishing sixth didn't demand extra spots in the team.

Phil had a mostly solid year, but I thought he had enough down games to keep him out when there's only a few spots available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Congrats to Jezza ... commiserations to Nick Haynes (but you're still a superstar to us Giants' fans).

Jezza AA.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back