Captains 2017: It's Kennedy! Vice captains Hanners, Parker, Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

As a team they've done a great job of remaining so competitive with so many youngsters in 2016.

But I put that mainly on the dominance of our midfield group, which jack is a key part of. Hence more criticism levelled at macca because he's a co-captain and only played a bit part role.

When you have a team capable of finishing minor premiers, yet fail in the gf on both occasions, you need to start asking questions.

Obviously the talent is there, but the will against another opponent was not there on the day. In 2016, granted, we had a very young team and that was a major reason why we lost in the gf. But when looking at individual performances, you judge them on their will to win.

Jack gets a pass mark because he put his body on the line and willed himself to the contest. I saw absolutely no desperation in McVeigh's performance and hence I judge him harshly.

He barely had an impact in 2016, we played a blinder when he missed against Geelong in the preliminary and he didn't fire a shot in the gf.

He hasn't been a core contributor for a number of years and has been below his best in I think the last 2 or so years.

Injuries or not, he has only ever had 2 years where he was playing great footy. He was either still developing and was all potential with a couple of flashes, or post his best, he is likely carrying an injury and performing at his best, which frankly, isn't good enough for a captain.

He was put in as captain by his peers.
He will have the pressure put on him the same way.

The player you have described above wouldn't have been made a captain by his peers if "he has only ever had 2 years where he was playing great footy. He was either still developing and was all potential with a couple of flashes" so I can't agree with this as you are selling him very, very short, but that is something you are entitled to do as you have seen something different.

Adding to that, if that is a true description of the guy, then his peers have failed the club for electing him as their captain.

I don't think we should offload Kizza. He lead by example in the GF. He's a workhorse & a great leader IMO. Why drop him?
Hanners to take over from Macca asap. Parker when Jack steps down. probably another year or two.

Hanners should be allowed to be an individual.

Not a leader imo. Great player but.
leads by example on the biggest day of the year. stands up when no one else will. lives and breathes for the club. what more could you ask of a captain?

leads by example on the biggest day of the year. stands up when no one else will. lives and breathes for the club. what more could you ask of a captain?

I get what you are saying, but why burden him? I'd rather have JPK as captain with Hanners as the VC.

I get what you are saying, but why burden him? I'd rather have JPK as captain with Hanners as the VC.

I think Hanners is the type of player that would thrive with the added responsibility. JPK seems uninterrsted in the position and forcing it on him could be detrimental to his game imo

I think Hanners is the type of player that would thrive with the added responsibility. JPK seems uninterrsted in the position and forcing it on him could be detrimental to his game imo
Happy for Macca to be under scrutiny. He will be under pressure to hold his place in the team and Captains are rarely dropped to the Magoos. Hope his pre season gives him the legs and endurance to continue quality ball movement - because that is where we have few players who can rival Macca when he is at his best. However, if he continues getting caught with the ball, his time should be up, cos we get spanked on turnovers out of defence. He is just too slow to play midfield any more. Mills and Jones and ( Rampe) should get some mid field time, but Macca should become a permanent hbf and help be the General down back now that Ted is gone. As for Captain/s - like the talk with Parker and Hanners. But I would also love it if the players voted for JPK. I reckon it could force him to think about the game in a new way and could make him an even better player than he is now, by thinking about how other players could lift and offering them advice. Up till now it has all been about his own game - and he sure knows how to think his way through that. Time for him to think for others too, cos he has the freedom there, as he has his own game down pat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got plenty in my family too. Never critical of people with mental health issues. Depending on the schemas forming the basis of the anxiety we would be doing neither Lance nor the team any favour. Hence the comment.
Really important issue that you two are dancing with.My daughter is afflicted by depression and as a parent I feel so damn helpless.Seems like a war that she wages on her own. Just keeps us all at arms length. It's dark and it is malevolent. It's not something that you can stand shoulder to shoulder against and show your support by taking the same hit. How does it affect her leadership and her commitment to getting the best out of herself? She loves the vote of confidence that conferring extra responsibility and leadership indicates, but it does add weight of anxiety and she marks herself harder than she marks anyone else. She can be her own worst enemy in this regard. Don't know how the Captaincy would affect Buddy. He is a leader out there anyway....but it would be such a great thing for the players to say we want you as our Captain and we respect who and what you are. Could it be a burden that could hurt him big time? Maybe,.... could not dismiss that possibility....but I think the upside is greater. And the Club would need to mentor him in the role with someone who Buddy respects.

Really important issue that you two are dancing with.My daughter is afflicted by depression and as a parent I feel so damn helpless.Seems like a war that she wages on her own. Just keeps us all at arms length. It's dark and it is malevolent. It's not something that you can stand shoulder to shoulder against and show your support by taking the same hit. How does it affect her leadership and her commitment to getting the best out of herself? She loves the vote of confidence that conferring extra responsibility and leadership indicates, but it does add weight of anxiety and she marks herself harder than she marks anyone else. She can be her own worst enemy in this regard. Don't know how the Captaincy would affect Buddy. He is a leader out there anyway....but it would be such a great thing for the players to say we want you as our Captain and we respect who and what you are. Could it be a burden that could hurt him big time? Maybe,.... could not dismiss that possibility....but I think the upside is greater. And the Club would need to mentor him in the role with someone who Buddy respects.

Come on down, A.Goodes.

Share your issue Vin. I have a kid in that school too. Your comments are 100% spot on. That would be how to do it. I suspect though that if Buddy was to be a skipper it would already have happened. Stay strong.

The Swans' senior players are due to return to training next week, although star midfielder Dan Hannebery was already back at the club on Monday.

Gun!

Perhaps he has been earmarked as McVeigh's successor

Is he training his pointing finger?

When will Jarrad McVeigh's reign of terror end?!

When will Jarrad McVeigh's reign of terror end?!
Not sure if your being serious here.

Whilst he might have stayed on a season or two too long, its hardly been a reign if terror, the guy did captain the 2012 premiership team kicking a crucial goal to stem the tide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back