Carl, Coll, Ess coaching gambles - who will be the New Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread is about coaching appointment gambles, it shouldn't mean that no one other than the OP can nominate coaching appointments to scrutinise.

They can, and do, but this thread is specifically about the big 4 so it makes little sense to include other teams that don't qualify.

I think the next part of your post sums up why the OP only wanted to discuss the big 4:
The reality is that if one of the big 4 **** up a coaching appointment, it will mean on field pain with minimal off field problems.

If North **** up badly enough, it could be the end.

So far Buckley has taken the club to the last 6. They will start at least 50/50 this week and if they win they will be in another 50/50 game. There is every chance Buckley will match or exceed evry one of Malthouses 12 years at Collingwood bar the 1 that came off the backof the sucession plan.

Collingwood only just won a flag. C'mon.

The only thing I think I can say for Essendon is that we're trying something... different. If it comes off it's almost too good to be true. If it doesn't we move on. I don't think anyone is necessarily cursed to Richmondian levels of failure, just the same as they're not entiled to perpetual success just because they've had it in the past. A club can turn on a dime with personnel change, we've seen it before.

Carlton's only real issue is that they keep doing the same thing, but now they've hit the highest echelon of coaching power. Nowhere to go after this.

but I wonder if his position would come under scrutiny if they have managed just one flag in eighteen years under his tenure, which is what they will be looking at if he hasn't brought home more bacon by Oct 2016.
there are 18 teams in the comp so that would be about a par.

Amusingly enough, the Tigers seem to have done well in keeping a low profile, building a new training base and compiling a talented, young list. No pressure on them in comparison to their traditional foes.
we may be premiership contenders and in higher stakes finals-wise, but there is more pressure is on richmond than collingwood.
if they don't make the finals next year and start working towards becoming a premiership contender in subsequent years, punt road may implode.

don't take my word for it; read the richmond board.

Carlton - Collingwood - Essendon.
Kernahan - McGuire - Evans.
Malthouse - Buckley - Hirdson.

Which will be remembered as the start of the rot?
mcguire would have some work to do to leave the club in a worse position than he found it.
at worst, we will say he peaked in 2010.

The way this is written is if any of the current coaching set ups fail then the club will be doomed to become Richmond which is illogical.

So that means the club that becomes the new Richmond will build new facilities and raise it's membership by about 15%, clear it's debt and start to climb up the ladder, surely this would aid North more than any of the big 4 who lets be honest aren't going anywhere.

I sense there is a seismic shift taking place in the AFL right now and when it is all over, there will be a new dunce in the Traditional Big Four. Move over Richmond - the success or failure of the coaching appointments of the three other clubs will determine who will take their place at the bottom of the heap.

When Richmond appointed former and much-loved player John Northey as coach in 1993, it had been only thirteen years since their last flag. To put that in perspective, it has been twelve years since Essendon's last flag and seventeen years since Carlton's. We all know what happened to Northey in '95 and what a shambles the RFC have been ever since. Who could have predicted then just how long the RFC would go on to spend in the wilderness?

Three of the traditional 'Big Four' clubs have taken massive gambles with their own coaching situations over the past season or two:

Carlton sacked club legend Brett Ratten with a season to go on his contract in order to install Mick Malthouse as senior coach. Also sacked the assistant coaches. Will spend several million dollars over the next three seasons to accommodate Malthouse and his hand-picked assistants.

Collingwood instituted a 'succession plan' which saw arguably the best team in the comp, possibly on the brink of a dynasty, fall in a heap as egos got in the way and the 2011 flag went begging, while one of the most revered coaches in the modern game was sent packing. All to accommodate club legend Nathan Buckley in his quest to be the head coach and pacify President Eddie McGuire's fear of losing Nathan forever.

Essendon turfed Knights with a season to go on his contract and brought back club legends James Hird and Bomber Thompson (the latter reportedly on more money than most clubs spend on their three line assistant coaches combined, at a time when the club is asking members to pay for their 'Flight Plan'). Brought Thompson's preferred strength coach into the fold as well.

Two of these clubs are at serious risk of ruining the legacies of club legends, while the other has already done so before the new coach has even finished his 2012 commitments in the media.

I reckon all three clubs are genuine chances of bringing home silverware over the next four years, but the reality is that they can't all be successful and the odds are that no more than one of them will be.

The fans of each club are now demanding success. Legacies are on the line. A lot of money has been spent and will be spent. Careers and reputations are are going to be made and broken over the next four years (if not sooner).

The question is, which club will be burnt the worst by a failure to bring home a flag between 2013-2016?

McGuire will look quite the fool if MM has more success at Carlton than Bucks does at Collingwood. Eddie's been in charge since '98; I don't know much about the internal politics at the Lexus Centre but I wonder if his position would come under scrutiny if they have managed just one flag in eighteen years under his tenure, which is what they will be looking at if he hasn't brought home more bacon by Oct 2016. Still, they have the 2010 trophy in their cabinet and as embarrassing as it would be if Nathan failed to deliver with this list, the Collingwood FC is strong enough to bounce back no matter what happens imo - even if Bucks is chewed up and spat out.

For me, it comes down to Essendon and Carlton. If either (or possibly both) of these clubs fail to bring home silverware during this window, I honestly reckon they could find themselves the new Richmond. For a long time. Amusingly enough, the Tigers seem to have done well in keeping a low profile, building a new training base and compiling a talented, young list. No pressure on them in comparison to their traditional foes.

Carlton - Collingwood - Essendon.
Kernahan - McGuire - Evans.
Malthouse - Buckley - Hirdson.

Which will be remembered as the start of the rot?

If I underline the words massive and serious it makes it totally more real.

So that means the club that becomes the new Richmond will build new facilities and raise it's membership by about 15%, clear it's debt and start to climb up the ladder, surely this would aid North more than any of the big 4 who lets be honest aren't going anywhere.
Yeah I would hate to be in our position right now.

I don't think any of them will go through what Richmond has, they will all make more than 2 or3? finals series over the next 30 years.

In terms of ultimate success, Essendon seems the most unlikely in the short term, but Carlton have a 5 year head start and are the bigger basket case off the field.

Carlton.

Still trying to figure out why the gambles in the OP are any bigger than the gambles that every club makes whenever they make a decision to either keep personnel or change personnel?

Is it because they are favourite sons? If that is the only difference then it's not really worth worrying about.

No one knows the future, therefore you gamble with every decision or non-decision.

The biggest gamble was probably Collingwood as they do not have a Premiership Senior Coach on their coaching panel anymore. However that succession plan probably played a large part in the 2010 Premiership as mentioned before and Buckley now has been a Premiership Assistant Coach. So you would say that gamble paid off.

Both Essendon and Carlton brought in Premiership Senior Coaches into their panels. They have taken far less risk than all the other clubs who get untried coaches with little support. When you gamble, that is the way to do it.

Aah. I always found it odd that Robert Walls and Northey swapped.
As far as I can remember, Northy wanted a contract beyond the following year (1996) and Richmond (Leon Daphene) said no, so he walked out on the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you troll the 'big 4' you need to leave space for another teams fans to help you out e.g. trolling Essendon and having Richmond or Carlton fans back you up... You were never going to win by taking all 4 on at once. 2/10

There will never be another Richmond, we already have one and he ain't going anywhere. Don't be fooled by their 'good' form.

As current holders of the Richmond Cup (9th Spot) I think we have perfect vantage point to see that Carlton is going for the quick fix, with coaching and players. The Blues will once again be proud of getting the first draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back