Carlton - What do Carlton do with the number 1 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't see how we get in the conversation with the SA clubs. Why deal with us when they could deal with GC, safe in the knowledge we won't take an SA kid?

And I don't think the threat of a rival club coming through with a 'godfather' offer for pick one is that big of an issue.

Say Port scored Pick 2 from GC. Even if Crows then came along and sold the farm to get Pick 1 from Carlton, Port would still walk away with Rankine and probably be quite ok with that.

IF GC play their cards correctly and get a bidding war going I can see them winning massively out of this.

Could see Pick 2 + 29 traded for pick 6+10 traded between GC/Port

Then 8+16 traded for Pick 3 between Adelaide/GC with pick 3 + 13 traded for pick 1

GC could end up going to the draft with 6, 8, 10, 16, 19, 24 rather then 2, 3, 29

Port 2, 29 instead of 6, 10

Adelaide 1 rather then 8, 13, 16

Carlton 3 + 12 instead of 1

GC could win massively in this strong draft with so many top selections especially if they believe luko/rankine will likely go home.

I'd like to see us make a big, late push for Josh Kelly. Offer pick 1 and next years first for Kelly and our future second back.

GWS are in the midst of a mini exodus, the last real clean out of players who were part of the expansion and want out. By all accounts Kelly will go next year, but after that, most of the rest seem fairly stable. Imo, if they think Kelly is going, then they should look to move him on now. Have one off-season of chaos, then start fresh with players who are happy to be there and transition to being a 'normal' team rather than a weird expansion hybrid. They would still have a strong midfield with Coniglio, Whitfield, Ward, Hopper, Taranto and a bunch of other contributors, should still push for the top 8, and could recharge fast with plenty of young guys coming through.

Otherwise, I reckon they're going to face a whole year of pressure on whether or not he goes, followed by potentially losing him anyway for much less return (and they'll miss out on a year of development on a draftee).

For Carlton, it would obviously be a game-changer and top off the rebuild perfectly. He's the perfect age to complement Cripps and Docherty, and young enough to still be in his prime when our existing 19-21 year-olds start really peaking in 3 years time.

Got to keep it now unless a ridiculously good offer comes our way.

Would like to think the SA clubs will be very keen on the pick, but if we're committed to taking Walsh as it seems we are, it makes more sense for them to deal with the Suns for pick 2 and/or 3.

IF GC play their cards correctly and get a bidding war going I can see them winning massively out of this.

Could see Pick 2 + 29 traded for pick 6+10 traded between GC/Port

Then 8+16 traded for Pick 3 between Adelaide/GC with pick 3 + 13 traded for pick 1

GC could end up going to the draft with 6, 8, 10, 16, 19, 24 rather then 2, 3, 29

Port 2, 29 instead of 6, 10

Adelaide 1 rather then 8, 13, 16

Carlton 3 + 12 instead of 1

GC could win massively in this strong draft with so many top selections especially if they believe luko/rankine will likely go home.
The problem is - according to their own board - they don’t want lots of picks.

Based on that logic I still see them trading up to get Walsh at 1 as a very possible outcome.

Based on that logic I still see them trading up to get Walsh at 1 as a very possible outcome.
A lot of picks is exactly what GC need, get rid of May as well now and start fresh with 7-8 kids out of a real quality draft, couple of years and they will be setup similar to GWS a few years ago.

Getting Walsh isn't going to solve anything for them, he is but 1 kid.

A lot of picks is exactly what GC need, get rid of May as well now and start fresh with 7-8 kids out of a real quality draft, couple of years and they will be setup similar to GWS a few years ago.

Getting Walsh isn't going to solve anything for them, he is but 1 kid.

Gold Coast definitely don't need picks. They have a lot of talented kids. They should be trying to select the one they really want as opposed to bulk selections.

Keep in mind that whilst a few players are leaving, they've recruited a few older players in the trade period + the mature age access selections.

They may not have the list spots available to accommodate drafting another 7-8 kids.

If they get pick 5 for May, maybe they could package up 3 & 5 for pick 1 + change/player.

That or pick 5 and a future first for pick one + change/player.

Might sound like a lot but it gives GC flexibility to draft the two players they really want with picks 1 & 2.

Go home factor is a big thing for GC so it would be worth looking into for them. Would also benefit Carlton too :)

Keep it simple. . Just pick Sam Walsh. ..you will not regret it..

However he just might

Why would he regret it - he is coming into the most talented young squad this club has seen since the 80s

The deadwood on this list is almost non existent in comparison to three years ago. He will come into a club environment that's in great shape to move forward.

Theres no guarantees, his disposal and pace are not excellent but everything else is. Carlton need some explosiveness I.e. a Rankine or Smith I wouldn’t be unwillinging to part with pick 1 to the Suns for 3 19 & 29 or 3 & 10 if they did a deal with Port

However he just might

Why would he regret it - he is coming into the most talented young squad this club has seen since the 80s

The deadwood on this list is almost non existent in comparison to three years ago. He will come into a club environment that's in great shape to move forward.

Banter mate. ..its called banter. . Happens on this forum all the time. ..
To be serious though just pick Walsh
Forget about Rankine. . The Two of them are on a par ..and with Walsh you won't have to worry about the go home factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banter mate. ..its called banter. . Happens on this forum all the time. ..
To be serious though just pick Walsh
Forget about Rankine. . The Two of them are on a par ..and with Walsh you won't have to worry about the go home factor
You dont understand what is being discussed here.

Due to the desires of the SA clubs, and the go-home fears of the GC, there is potential to trade down and still keep Walsh.

We understand Walsh is a great pick, but if you can get him plus more why not?

Hope you can grasp it now...

We should look at Walsh if we want a dominant midfield, but Smith might also be a good option. Here are two possible scenarios:

Keeping Walsh:
Carlton: 1, 77 --> 2, 24
Adelaide: 8, 16, Future 1st (Adelaide) --> 1
Gold Coast: 2, 24 --> 8, 16, 77, Future 1st (Adelaide)

Losing Walsh i.e. gaining Smith:
Carlton: 1, 71, Future 4th --> 5, 85, Future 1st (Port) Future 2nd (Gold Coast), Future 2nd (Brisbane)
Gold Coast: 3, 19, 59, Future 2nd--> 1, 55, Future 4th (Carlton)
Brisbane: 5, 55, Future 2nd --> 6, 19, 59
Port: 6, 85, Future 1st --> 3, 71

Predicted draft order:
1- Lukosius (GC)
2 - Walsh (GC)
3 - Rankine (Port)
4 - Ben King (St K.)
5 - Smith (Carl)

Lukoskios and Rankine both have higher ceiling than Walsh for me. Pick 4/7 is the sweet spot, could try to package

Pick 1+player/pick for pick 4+Billings.

At pick 4 you’re guarantees to have one of Lukoskios//Walsh/Rankine/Max king available, all of them being equally as good for me

Those suggesting Rankine are the only Walsh-alternatives that make sense.

List management is about planning for 3 years ahead.

As far as prospects go, I believe small forward is our biggest hole.

ELITE PROSPECTS:
Ruck: Maybe De Koning
Mids: Cripps, Dow, LOB, SPS, Setterfield
Key Backs: Weitering, Marchbank
Key Forwards: Charlie, McKay, McGovern
Small Backs: Docherty, Williamson
Small Forwards: Nothing

However he just might

We, the Blues, had an absolute shocker this year, everything went wrong and everyone failed. No doubt about it.

But in the midst of the rubble, the list management is chugging along quietly and nicely. This is the first time a proper list build has occurred at Blue land, and no the 2005/6/7 (Murphy/Gibbs/Kruz) era was not properly managed at a list level.

Basically, if we get Sam Walsh, he will not regret it, nor Will Settefield either.

Lukoskios and Rankine both have higher ceiling than Walsh for me. Pick 4/7 is the sweet spot, could try to package

Pick 1+player/pick for pick 4+Billings.

At pick 4 you’re guarantees to have one of Lukoskios//Walsh/Rankine/Max king available, all of them being equally as good for me

Sam Walsh trained with Geelong this year and Danger said that Walsh was AFL ready this year and he reminded him of Joel Selwood.

Walsh has elite running power. He is a contest to contest beast. He is not explosive out of pack, nor is his disposal elite. But I'd say the same of Selwood. Walsh will be a high disposal player due to his running power. When he is 24 he will be getting Tom Mitchell 2018 type possessions. If interchange ever comes down he will be untaggable in the 4th quarter because he will have burned off his tag.

Walsh has elite running power. He is a contest to contest beast. He is not explosive out of pack, nor is his disposal elite. But I'd say the same of Selwood. Walsh will be a high disposal player due to his running power. When he is 24 he will be getting Tom Mitchell 2018 type possessions. If interchange ever comes down he will be untaggable in the 4th quarter because he will have burned off his tag.

Pass. Smith seems the goer then.

Both should be good. Sam Walsh is the safer bet to be A-grade.

Not a fan of the Priddus/Mitchell/Rockcliff types. Think their numbers over inflate their value. Considering he'd be on the receiving end of Cripps extracting it the majority of the time I wanna see some burst speed or impeccable disposal - two traits you have said he is found wanting in.

Not a fan of the Priddus/Mitchell/Rockcliff types. Think their numbers over inflate their value. Considering he'd be on the receiving end of Cripps extracting it the majority of the time I wanna see some burst speed or impeccable disposal - two traits you have said he is found wanting in.

Best case, Sam Walsh projects as Joel Selwood mixed with Sam Mitchell with a Tom Scully tank. He is a born leader and quite likely will be a future club captain.

Rodney Dangerfield said that Walsh was AFL ready this year after Walsh trained with the Cats. Note, last week Geelong sounded Carlton out for pick 1, they wanted Walsh desperately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back