Caro has got it right - no need for clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont like your eagle jumper at all - I think your original jumper is absolutely fantastic, and Im at a loss as to why you dont have it as your home strip? :confused:
Our current away strip is not our original.Its had about 5 or 6 incarntions since then. The current one is the best, should never change it again.
The oringal one was mainly yellow with blue shoulders, the shade of blue has changed several times and they used to have eagles written across the front.

Our current away strip is not our original.Its had about 5 or 6 incarntions since then. The current one is the best, should never change it again.
The oringal one was mainly yellow with blue shoulders, the shade of blue has changed several times and they used to have eagles written across the front.

yea, thats the jumper I am referring too. I know it has had slight changes, but that basic concept. The darker blue I didnt like, and the yellow one would work fine as a clash.

Why isnt it that one your home strip?

ijust dont understand how players played like this for so many years if its so hard to distinguish between certain jumpers

I'm sure with a bit of difficulty. But the game is a lot quicker than what it was 20 years ago, and there's more teams in a league. Not many leagues would have had 16 teams in it and it obviously increases the chances of having similar jumpers.

The problem isn't when you're looking straight at a player, you could take any 2 jumpers and you'd be able to pick it. It's where you get the ball under pressure and you need to make a split second judgement call on someone you see out of the corner of your eye - is it a teammate? Or if you're on a pack and you get a glimpse of a blue back with white numbers - or is it purple? It's even worse when it's wet - West Coast's royal blue looked a lot darker when the guernsey was wet and when they're playing a predominantly navy blue team in conditions where it was hard to see anyway due to the heavy rain, it got ridiculous. Even more so given Carlton actually have an alternate jumper.

It's pretty easy to realise the problem. Look straight ahead and see if you can pick the exact colour of something 90 degrees to your line of sight. You know it's light or dark, but it would be pretty bloody hard to distinguish different shades of blue. So when the problem can be so easily avoided, why not just avoid it?

On this issue, Caro is talking complete sh*t. Understandable from Joe Public who doesn't understand the game, but she should know better.

I mean the real solution if this is such a problem is to have a bright yellow and bright red day glo tops like road workers wear. Ridiculous? Certainly, the point is that the topic is not just about colours, it is about fans and TV. I mean 40 odd years ago when it rained more regularly and players were covered top to toe in mud they could have been buck naked and it wouldn't have mattered, they still worked it out, and with black and white telly the point was largely moot anyway. Suddenly 4 new teams were introduced and there is a clash? I don't buy it. The clash only emerged when teams changed their jumpers every 2 years for sponsors, fashion, TV, whatever. Speed of the game? BS, the force of gravity will not change unless we drift near a black hole or some such thing, a player looks, sees a target and drops the footy on to his boot. The ball will not fall any quicker from hand to foot and his decision to kick it will not be based soley on how quickly he spots his target, I mean he will have a heap of other factors like field position, approaching competitors and the game plan that will affect his decision also.Someone wrote something about peripheral vision, there are 6 reasons why something is seen, shine, shape, silohouette, surface, shadow and movement, I would challenge anyone to use peripheral vision to make a decision to kick a footy or not on the colour of a jumper alone, all these factors come in but movement is the big indicator for peripheral vision, see if you can tell the colour of a car in your peripheral vision? You only see it because it is moving not because of the colour. Peripheral vision is not what this is about, it is almost soley about TV and the ability of fans to discern the differing teams. Unfortunately this argument falls down because if between 40 close up camera angles, the incessent commentary and the fact that jumpers aren't usually covered in mud and the players will almost always kick it towards the end their goals are at, then I think the average fan can work it out. Another AFL red herring because someone went to Europe and saw out door pinball do it where they have teams from 5 or 6 countires and 2 or 3 divisions rotating through games in everything from Premiers to champions leagues that suddenly we had to have clash jumpers. Someones hand is firmly on it!

I mean the real solution if this is such a problem is to have a bright yellow and bright red day glo tops like road workers wear. Ridiculous? Certainly, the point is that the topic is not just about colours, it is about fans and TV. I mean 40 odd years ago when it rained more regularly and players were covered top to toe in mud they could have been buck naked and it wouldn't have mattered, they still worked it out, and with black and white telly the point was largely moot anyway.

40 odd years ago it wasn't a billion dollar industry. People expect a little more these days.

40 odd years ago it wasn't a billion dollar industry. People expect a little more these days.

And this is the big point IMO. Back when they got mud all over them, etc the game was not professional. There weren't millions of dollars being gambled on matches. The players weren't getting payed the same as now - mostly it was for fun, rather than as a job.

Well if these 3 clubs could come to some sought of agreement on this I think it would be a step forward. Perhaps the drawing of the line in the sand in regard to this issue is doing things like helping charity's by selling the jumpers after the game, don't make them available to the public so then it is purley a fundraising not marketing issue and perhaps that would make our game more unique than ever.

I guess the question is Melbourne V Essendon at the MCG and Melbourne refuse to budge on there jumper for whatever reason and the above scenario breaks down, where do Melbourne and Essendon go in this situation? Melbourne would argue they are a older club and playing at there home ground, how does this situation get resolved?

For mine, the perfect resolution.
Between the two of us we've solved the Clash jumper problem.
well done lb.

ijust dont understand how players played like this for so many years if its so hard to distinguish between certain jumpers

btw, first time i watched footy classified

how caan she be so ugly? wtf?
She was ten times worse on the first episode.

Some of you may have seen these the other night.

They are my designs for predominately white strips for all clubs.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...lash%20Strips/
I like them. A lot. No Geelong and North?

Back to the topic though, and there is just no logic with some of the current jumpers. I don't understand why Geelong designs a clash jumper which is mainly navy, when we will only ever wear it with white shorts. Meanwhile, our home guernsey is predominantly white, and we wear the bloody thing with navy shorts.

I'm not a fan of clash strips. But if we have to have them, then white is the way to go.

And it's interesting that the umpires have gone from white to colours, and the clubs are going from colours to whites...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like them. A lot. No Geelong and North?

Back to the topic though, and there is just no logic with some of the current jumpers. I don't understand why Geelong designs a clash jumper which is mainly navy, when we will only ever wear it with white shorts. Meanwhile, our home guernsey is predominantly white, and we wear the bloody thing with navy shorts.

I'm not a fan of clash strips. But if we have to have them, then white is the way to go.

And it's interesting that the umpires have gone from white to colours, and the clubs are going from colours to whites...

It is for your very point that there is no Geelong or North. Their current home jumpers are predominately white and the album is for white clash strips. So it kind of defeats the purpose.

It is for your very point that there is no Geelong or North. Their current home jumpers are predominately white and the album is for white clash strips. So it kind of defeats the purpose.
Yeah thought so. Love your work.

http://www.footyjumpers.com/

Interesting site on Home and away jumpers.

For mine, I will never understand why people want to argue about this, Clubs surely still have their rights to "own" their own colours and designs - like any business.

Yes I know the AFL actually does but I think that's a disgrace.

Every team needs a white clash top (except Geelong, Collingwood and the Kangaroos since they have a lot of white should go to their other colors as Geelong and the Kangas have done already). This isn't like 100 years ago and things change. We don't need to be this precious about a top you would wear 3 times a season at the most.

Unlikely ! Brown is a fairly unusual colour for football jumpers (in any code). I remember the Penrith Rugby league team wearing brown and white when they first entered the NRL (as it was then) but I can't think of many other footy teams that have ever worn brown.
Fitzroy wore a dark maroon top until the 70s which is very close to brown:

Fitzroy-6.gif

Not that anyone would really want Hawthorn's colors anyway ;)

I think the white essendon strip doesn't look too bad at all. Heaps better than last weekends strip anyway. White strips is the go, AFL should do this.

Incidentally, what did Essendon's record for wearing the same jumper consecutively end up at?

i think you will find it is still technically going as it was black with a red sash. The only difference is now they have worn three thicknesses of sash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back