Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

the worst part of this is that Murphy’s 2 goals last week came from Newchurch Goal assists, why would Newchurch be doing the team thing and passing it off rather then having a shot himself now, which he easily could have in both instances.
Murphy would of hardly got a touch if Newchurch didn't serve it up on a plater to him
4 goals 3 and a heap of assists and still cant get a game.
Nick's focus on contested ball is blinding him to players other good traits

I have an umpire exam Saturday, if Newchurch was playing I was going to race there as soon as the exam finished and maybe get there 10 minutes into the first quarter, but now, I'm not going to bother going.
Exactly. It's my 30th this weekend and going to the game travelling from Geelong.
Feel like I'm wasting my time.

Murphy looks decent as a stoppage mid. Reads it off hands well, good awareness in traffic.

We refuse to use him in the centre square though.

Instead he plays as a high half forward and our "Crows have pushed an extra one up to the stoppages" player for around the ground ball ups.

Means that the opposition are then free to shuffle & generate a spare behind the ball and, hey presto, Tom Stewart 18 intercept possessions later (or Jake Lever this week).

Poor structure first, poor selection second
Then we use Dawson behind the ball to try counteract Stewart Lever etc

It’s safety first , surely it’s time to unleash some shackles

Well now we know why he's been slightly off the past few weeks, he's been carrying a niggle.

For anyone Crowing about losing Ned, watch us get absolutely destroyed by Melbourne tomorrow due to next to zero pressure being applied outside of the contest. Ned gets a lot of hate on these boards, but he chews up free space, doesn't give opposition players time think and make pressure-free passes. We played without Ned against Carlton earlier this year, if anyone would like a reminder of just how deplorable our pressure is without him.
Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic?
We are talking about the Ned McH who laid 3 tackles in the game before Carlton, and ZERO tackles the following week?
To suggest that he would have made any difference against the Blues is a long shot at best!!

3. and if Ned had been injured the past few weeks, and underperforming because of it, you can be guaranteed Burgess would've pulled him out of the team a lot earlier. Burgess is the best in the business.

i’d say he’s either hurt himself against north, or his “injury” is BS.. there’s no using it to excuse his shite form for the past month or so..
The only one hurt is the recruiting dept for taking him in the first round of the draft.

mcpherson was garbage on the weekend.. turnover merchant.. especially in that first quarter.. south’s were red hot in that first quarter and mcpherson might as well have been wearing a south’s guernsey because he was helping them immensely..
I withdraw the suggestion since you have demonstrated that you are a wonderful judge of a footballer *🙄. An early turnover= banished for life.

After a season disrupted by injury and illness, most good judges (including our coaches) have been very pleased with his last two matches.

*Ben Keays not an AFL standard footballer????

I am a fan of Patty Parnell but he needs at least another preseason. I hope he isn’t ragdolled on Saturday

Murphy would of hardly got a touch if Newchurch didn't serve it up on a plater to him
I think you need to look at what Nick's is trying to achieve with this game. It's margin mitigation. His plan is to stop Melbourne scoring as much. That extra layer of us scoring will be added next year.

Let's be honest we support a really s**t club with a really s**t coach and football dept. Our football dept is bottom 4 and our lost is horrendous.

Happy Friday!

What really shits me is during the bye, the club put out an interview with Nicks about what to expect for the second half of the season and he specifically mentions Newchurch and Cooky.

Perfect chance to get Bucky in this week with confidence and they go the safest braindead selection with Murphy. Pressure player for pressure player will be their excuse.

Started with Godden not being able to complete his assessment on Newchurchs game without being a negative nancy. Hope the media really put the heat on.

Soooo close

Thilthorpe, Jones in good

Not playing McHenry/McAdam while battling injury

Crouch and Brown stay in SANFL

Tick, tick, tick.... boo.

We named Newchurch as an emergency. We know what the right call is. Just can't quite bring ourselves to go all in.
And Parnell is still in the side. Another tick
They are doing quite a bit right except for the bloody obvious change

And it’s not as if we don’t give youth opportunities- that’s rubbish

It’s just at times we don’t give the right youth the right role and / or opportunity at the appropriate time

Agreed, we are really really bad at spotting players with genuine ability and persisisting with young players that just don't have a future at this level...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bitterly disappointed.

Here is the email i just typed up:

Hello Mr Silvers,

I am writing to you tonight as a bitterly disappointed member of the AFC. I am absolutely frustrated by the baffling selection decisions from the coaches week in and week out in 2022. I am not going to sit here and think I know more about football than these people. I don't. But i need to vent as tonight's selection has made me more angry and more disappointed in my football club than ever before and i will not sit back and be voiceless anymore

Some of my frustrations:
1. Playing the inexperienced players out of position, which in turn then makes them look like they didn't play well and they get dropped again,
2. The lack of opportunity after some good SANFL form for some players (Newchurch, Worrell, Pedlar)
3. Dropping the young players after what seemed like good form (Jones)
4. Moving Hately out of the midfield after some really good form in the guts across a few games (best of his short career) once Crouch was brought back into the team
5. Playing a midfield most weeks of 185 cm slow football players. All who have rotated through there at times are good footballers in their own rights, but they are all basically the same height, speed and skill level (Laird, Keays, Crouch, Hately, Berry, Sloane etc before his injury). Easy to plan for opposition coaches IMO
6. The regression of Thilthorpe and Rachele. Thilthorpe looks a shell of the player he was 12 months ago and Rachele came into the league as the most in form first year player in the first 6 weeks and now can't get near it. Why? Maybe the first year caught up with Rachele, but that doesn't explain Thilthorpe

And tonight was the final straw. It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a young player to get an opportunity (i.e. Newchurch in this week after some amazing SANFL form) for McHenry who is injured, yet we select Lachlan Murphy, a player we have seen and know what output we'll get. I do not believe for 1 second that we are better off with him in the team over Newchurch in this situation of where the team is at development and ladder wise

When we are supposedly going through a "rebuild" some of the decisions though 2022 have been baffling to say the least. There have been some positives. Dawson is an absolute gun. Great recruit. Berry has been put in his best position and has thrived. Fogarty seems to have turned the corner. Burgess seems to have been an amazing pick up for our fitness

I want to get one thing clear. I am ok with losing whilst rebuilding..... IF there is some semblance of a plan for the future.

But when we keep going back to players who we have seen in action and know exactly what they offer (Murphy tonight, Crouch again recently) when we have potentially better players in amazing form and we still don't select them, then I can't see what that plan is. We need to see what some of these players in the SANFL have got. And when they're in form is the best time. But the club continues to "play it safe" even though we are losing more games than we're winning anyway

And if I don't believe there is a plan, I am afraid that my membership. My wife's membership and my 2 kid's memberships will not be renewed in 2023. I just have to make a stand and not throw away my hard earned $ year after year to see the same decisions being made over and over again. Its the definition of insanity

I hope you get a chance to read this email, I understand you are a busy man. I know I am not the only one feeling this frustration, I just hope to see some change at the AFC regarding our selection policies and the way the club looks at a rebuild and developing of our young players by giving them a shot on the big stage

Instead he plays as a high half forward and our "Crows have pushed an extra one up to the stoppages" player for around the ground ball ups.
I've been complaining about this for a while.

It's the same reason we play two centre square mids in Hately and Soligo on the wings.

It's like a cricket team picking inferior bowlers who can bat a bit because the top six aren't getting the job done.

Get better midfielders (and a ruckman) FFS.

Infuriating.

On the team sheet, Soligo has taken McHenry's role.
What happens if Soligo tears it up with a couple of goals, I wonder what happens then with Ned ?

What really shits me is during the bye, the club put out an interview with Nicks about what to expect for the second half of the season and he specifically mentions Newchurch and Cooky.
Nicks is full of s**t.

No wonder the likes of ROB, Doedee and Smith seem to have checked out on game day.

Bitterly disappointed.

Here is the email i just typed up:

Hello Mr Silvers,

I am writing to you tonight as a bitterly disappointed member of the AFC. I am absolutely frustrated by the baffling selection decisions from the coaches week in and week out in 2022. I am not going to sit here and think I know more about football than these people. I don't. But i need to vent as tonight's selection has made me more angry and more disappointed in my football club than ever before and i will not sit back and be voiceless anymore

Some of my frustrations:
1. Playing the inexperienced players out of position, which in turn then makes them look like they didn't play well and they get dropped again,
2. The lack of opportunity after some good SANFL form for some players (Newchurch, Worrell, Pedlar)
3. Dropping the young players after what seemed like good form (Jones)
4. Moving Hately out of the midfield after some really good form in the guts across a few games (best of his short career) once Crouch was brought back into the team
5. Playing a midfield most weeks of 185 cm slow football players. All who have rotated through there at times are good footballers in their own rights, but they are all basically the same height, speed and skill level (Laird, Keays, Crouch, Hately, Berry, Sloane etc before his injury). Easy to plan for opposition coaches IMO
6. The regression of Thilthorpe and Rachele. Thilthorpe looks a shell of the player he was 12 months ago and Rachele came into the league as the most in form first year player in the first 6 weeks and now can't get near it. Why? Maybe the first year caught up with Rachele, but that doesn't explain Thilthorpe

And tonight was the final straw. It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a young player to get an opportunity (i.e. Newchurch in this week after some amazing SANFL form) for McHenry who is injured, yet we select Lachlan Murphy, a player we have seen and know what output we'll get. I do not believe for 1 second that we are better off with him in the team over Newchurch in this situation of where the team is at development and ladder wise

When we are supposedly going through a "rebuild" some of the decisions though 2022 have been baffling to say the least. There have been some positives. Dawson is an absolute gun. Great recruit. Berry has been put in his best position and has thrived. Fogarty seems to have turned the corner. Burgess seems to have been an amazing pick up for our fitness

I want to get one thing clear. I am ok with losing whilst rebuilding..... IF there is some semblance of a plan for the future.

But when we keep going back to players who we have seen in action and know exactly what they offer (Murphy tonight, Crouch again recently) when we have potentially better players in amazing form and we still don't select them, then I can't see what that plan is. We need to see what some of these players in the SANFL have got. And when they're in form is the best time. But the club continues to "play it safe" even though we are losing more games than we're winning anyway

And if I don't believe there is a plan, I am afraid that my membership. My wife's membership and my 2 kid's memberships will not be renewed in 2023. I just have to make a stand and not throw away my hard earned $ year after year to see the same decisions being made over and over again. Its the definition of insanity

I hope you get a chance to read this email, I understand you are a busy man. I know I am not the only one feeling this frustration, I just hope to see some change at the AFC regarding our selection policies and the way the club looks at a rebuild and developing of our young players by giving them a shot on the big stage

Unfortunately at this point they've probably received so many emails about selection over the last decade that the keyword "selection" sees your email automatically filtered into the trash

They don't want to hear it

We much prefer good effort than good talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back