Preview Changes: R22 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We got text message from club today just to let us know guest passes still available.

For a game v Collingwood?

I also saw Collingwood advertising on FB saying tix still available.

Natives are restless
Saturday at 4pm in Adelaide is a **** timeslot mind you.

Surely up against Grundy you would want ROB in and not Jacobs...? At least ROB would be able to keep up with Grundy's run around the ground, one of Grundy's strengths. I can't see Jacobs doing that these days. That's provided ROB is feeling fresh after the rest, and even then I'd back him ahead of Jacobs even if he wasn't.
That will be the biggest issue. Sauce is still slightly better in the ruck, but his around the ground work has taken a massive hit. Could maybe tag team and use Sauce at the CB and let ROB drift into the middle and Sauce forwards. If they go Sauce vs Grundy then Grundy will run all over him once the ball is past the ruck contest.

That will allow them to drop Otten too as they don't need to worry about backup ruck minutes and Keath can go back to intercepting if he's healthy enough to play (which I have my doubts about)

No, it took one ordinary game from ROB for him to be dumped.

Similarly if Fog doesn't dominate this week, he'll be dropped for our last game of the year.
2 games, and they were very ordinary.

Sauce will be lucky to be an Adelaide player next year let alone number 1 ruck.

Just looked on ticketek and the game is basically a sellout, only single seats left in Cat 2 and 3. So with perfect weather on Saturday and a brilliant timeslot (Love twilight games), there will be over 50,000 there.

That will be the biggest issue. Sauce is still slightly better in the ruck, but his around the ground work has taken a massive hit. Could maybe tag team and use Sauce at the CB and let ROB drift into the middle and Sauce forwards. If they go Sauce vs Grundy then Grundy will run all over him once the ball is past the ruck contest.

That will allow them to drop Otten too as they don't need to worry about backup ruck minutes and Keath can go back to intercepting if he's healthy enough to play (which I have my doubts about)
Playing Jacob's and ROB would be a massive liability imo. Actually playing Jacobs full stop would likely be catastrophic against grundy. I would drop Jacob's, Hartigan, Douglas and Otten and bring in ROB, Keath if fit, Himmelberg and Butts. Would move Lynch up to the wing and play Walker half forward with Fogarty and Berg as your hit up forwards. That way Berg can take ruck in the forward half and give ROB a spell in the middle. I feel Butts even as a debutant would offer more than Otten as well. The other option is that they btring in ROB, Keath and Berg for Jacobs, Otten, Douglas moving Lynch up the ground.

Personally I would go for the following team below but it would never happen under the current match committee. I may be biased but the forward line structure is the best we have had all year. The average age of the team comes down to 24.90 as opposed to an unchanged team average age of 26.64. That nearly 2 year age difference is predominantly made up because of Douglas, Mackay, Otten, Jacobs.

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Keath Milera
Lynch Sloane Seedsman
Walker Fogarty Jones
Betts Himmelberg Gallucci

ROB MCrouch Smith

BCrouch Knight Butts Gibbs

In: ROB Gallucci Jones Seedsman Butts Keath Himmelberg
Out: Jacob's Murphy Douglas Mackay Otten Hartigan Atkins

Last edited:
I am interested to see what happens this week. I have really rated what we have done with otten the last few weeks, has played floating kpp, back and forward and then been backup ruck as well. Wonder if keath could play that role. It is important to have this role sorted to help having fog in the side. Also gives a chopout if hartigan is getting smashed.

Just looked on ticketek and the game is basically a sellout, only single seats left in Cat 2 and 3. So with perfect weather on Saturday and a brilliant timeslot (Love twilight games), there will be over 50,000 there.
I'm not surprised. This weeks results is hugely impactful on the finals. Funnily enough even more-so then round 23 will likely be.

For example (assuming Essendon lose to Freo away and Collingwood home); Then if the Crows win and Bulldogs lose each by 30 points this week, then the Crows can actually lose to the WB in round 23 by as much as 70 points and still make finals by 0.1% (ironically over the Western Bulldogs)

I know this year has been a clusterf**k, but when the chance to play finals is on the line, in your last homegame, and against Collingwood... Mate, people will rock up in droves!

I am interested to see what happens this week. I have really rated what we have done with otten the last few weeks, has played floating kpp, back and forward and then been backup ruck as well. Wonder if keath could play that role. It is important to have this role sorted to help having fog in the side. Also gives a chopout if hartigan is getting smashed.
I think their has been a lot to like in the way we've played. Seemed to have gotten our harder edge back that we seemingly lost after the bye round.

But it all comes to naught if they can't replicate it when it matters most.

Imo, Burton's screwups last year have given Pyke an extra year's grace.
I think it would be highly negligent given the state of our off-field affairs to sack the coach before having an external review of the club as a whole.

I keep coming back to Richmond. Everyone wanted Hardwick sacked then... boom... external review and he wins the premiership next year.

Or Collingwood. Buckley on a 5 year downward trend and everyone calling for his head then... boom... external review and he makes the GF the next year.

Good coaches don't grow on trees and both the recent reviews found the coaches weren't the problem. Instead it was the people in the football departments and assistant coaches. I highly suspect a similar situation is festering untreated at the AFC and scapegoating the coach won't change anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Jacob's and ROB would be a massive liability imo. Actually playing Jacobs full stop would likely be catastrophic against grundy. I would drop Jacob's, Hartigan, Douglas and Otten and bring in ROB, Keath if fit, Himmelberg and Butts. Would move Lynch up to the wing and play Walker half forward with Fogarty and Berg as your hit up forwards. That way Berg can take ruck in the forward half and give ROB a spell in the middle. I feel Butts even as a debutant would offer more than Otten as well. The other option is that they btring in ROB, Keath and Berg for Jacobs, Otten, Douglas moving Lynch up the ground.

Personally I would go for the following team below but it would never happen under the current match committee. I may be biased but the forward line structure is the best we have had all year. The average age of the team comes down to 24.90 as opposed to an unchanged team average age of 26.64. That nearly 2 year age difference is predominantly made up because of Douglas, Mackay, Otten, Jacobs.

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Keath Milera
Lynch Sloane Seedsman
Walker Fogarty Jones
Betts Himmelberg Gallucci

ROB MCrouch Smith

BCrouch Knight Butts Gibbs

In: ROB Gallucci Jones Seedsman Butts Keath Himmelberg
Out: Jacob's Murphy Douglas Mackay Otten Hartigan Atkins

Sauce's ruck work way better than ROB, but watching both Sauce and Otten try and get back into position at times was excruciating last week. Sounds crazy but we were a lot better midfield outfit with Sauce's ruckwork, so i reckon we go in with just him, and try and negate Grundy's ground coverage another way.

I think it would be highly negligent given the state of our off-field affairs to sack the coach before having an external review of the club as a whole.

I keep coming back to Richmond. Everyone wanted Hardwick sacked then... boom... external review and he wins the premiership next year.

Or Collingwood. Buckley on a 5 year downward trend and everyone calling for his head then... boom... external review and he makes the GF the next year.

Good coaches don't grow on trees and both the recent reviews found the coaches weren't the problem. Instead it was the people in the football departments and assistant coaches. I highly suspect a similar situation is festering untreated at the AFC and scapegoating the coach won't change anything.
Club definitely needs a review but most of us could save them the time and money.
Out:
Chapman
Burton
Campo
Hart
Hass
Riccuito
Pyke
Fagan

In regards to Pyke he has been negligent now for 2 years in developing youth. It may not be totally his fault but as senior coach the buck stops with him. I also feel the players don't overly like him. I rewatched the west coast eagles game first half last night. I had to turn it off as our stop start ball movement actually sickened me to watch. There was no flow whatsoever. I know that Hart is the worse coach ever to grace our club and roo is protecting him but Pyke has been negligent in standing up to these pricks. We need a coach that would have resigned over that s**t. The real problem is those that chose pyke. Chapman, Fagan, Riccuito,

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. This weeks results is hugely impactful on the finals. Funnily enough even more-so then round 23 will likely be.

For example (assuming Essendon lose to Freo away and Collingwood home); Then if the Crows win and Bulldogs lose each by 30 points this week, then the Crows can actually lose to the WB in round 23 by as much as 70 points and still make finals by 0.1% (ironically over the Western Bulldogs)

I know this year has been a clusterf**k, but when the chance to play finals is on the line, in your last homegame, and against Collingwood... Mate, people will rock up in droves!

Bit of a 1993 vibe to it, having to beat Collingwood in the last home game of the year.
Problem with that comparison is we were a good team in 93

Sauce's ruck work way better than ROB, but watching both Sauce and Otten try and get back into position at times was excruciating last week. Sounds crazy but we were a lot better midfield outfit with Sauce's ruckwork, so i reckon we go in with just him, and try and negate Grundy's ground coverage another way.
ROB's sitting 4th in the yearly coaches votes so he must have been rucking adequately for our head and opposition coach to be giving him those votes. Probably says more about our head coach who gave him those votes and then drops him after one bad performance .I would presume ROB would be sitting top 3 in the clubs B & F also. I haven't seen sauce anywhere near the top of the B & F over the last couple of years if my memory serves me correct.
Crows Leaderboard - Top Five

51 - Brad Crouch
38 - Matt Crouch
32 - Rory Sloane
26 - Reilly O’Brien
26 - Brodie Smith

And this is why football allegiances and schedule's should always be factored into the roster writing software!

Hmmm, actually that's not the worst idea...
The boss is usually pretty good, she did allow me to finish at 3.30 so I should be able to make it in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back