Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with these two changes. We need to bolster our pure-midfield options, as our setup today won't cut it vs. Fyfe/Mundy/Cerra/Brayshaw.

I'd accept Himmelberg for Billy, but prefer us to fast-track Riley.

McAdam & Hamill are on the edge for me. Shane turning into a last quarter expert. Was putrid before then.

Worrell = very close.

McAdam was in a lot of pain in the chest area in the first quarter and could hardly move: I don't know what caused it. His long-sleeved guernsey was much uglier than he was. ;)

Luke Beveridge often drops 3-4 players after they smash a team. Same with Hinkley, Hardwick.

You never reward a poor performance from a player. The result is meaningless when it comes to standards. Either perform or your out. Once a player knows there will be no compromise they understand the contract they have when they are picked. This ultimately leads to less players needing to be dropped.
Our club does..

61CE536F-8EF5-4EB7-9E54-AF9B52017B81.jpeg

If you're blinded by shinytoyitis, then that's your problem.

You need to look at the whole of his game, which has both good and bad aspects to it. You're focus is tunnel vision-like on the positives, ignoring the other 99.7% of the game, where he is a complete liability.
The problem is you keep parroting this strawman line suggesting that everyone is saying “fog to replace lynch”.. but no one is really saying that though.. yet you keep bringing it up..

fog simply holds his position..

thilthorpe can come in and replace frampton and we can bring another player in to replace lynch who is clearly not 100%..

The problem is you keep parroting this strawman line suggesting that everyone is saying “fog to replace lynch”.. but no one is really saying that though.. yet you keep bringing it up..

fog simply holds his position..

thilthorpe can come in and replace frampton and we can bring another player in to replace lynch who is clearly not 100%..
It's a no-win situation.

If Fog comes in as a straight swap, it gets truly ugly. He doesn't have the fitness to do the gut running that Sloane/Lynch do week-in-week-out. He's just not capable of playing that role.

If Fog comes in as a tall forward, and we shuffle a small into the midfield, then he unbalances our forward line - and we lose the structure which has worked so beautifully in his absence. We've proven time & time again, over the last 24 months, that having 3 talls in our forward line doesn't work. Our talls don't provide enough defensive pressure (Tex's recent tackling aside), which allows the opposition to run the ball out of our forward line too easily. It prevents us from getting repeat I50s, and allows them to generate scores from rebounding off their back line.

Either way, it doesn't work. By swapping a running player for a in immobile tall forward, we lose out either way.

OUT: Lynch, Frampton, Kelly

IN: Hately, Thilthorpe, Worrell

The fact of the matter is for Fogarty is you need to touch the ball more than 5 times to survive in this league, if he could average 13-15 touches a game he would be a weapon, he isn't kicking 3 every week if he's only touching it 5 times, he obviously plays next week cause he deserves to but has to get involved more around the ground

Lynch played SOME deeper forward minutes today, but has barely played inside 50 this year. He's not there to be a forward - hell, even today he played the majority of his minutes in the defensive half, according to the Telstra tracker.

I do think he might be injured though.
Forwards are not restricted to the F50

He's in our front half and we collectively don't apply enough pressure when we've got Tex, Lynch, a 2nd ruckman and Fogarty all in the 22. And that's the case even when all are fully fit

McGovern could fill that 4th role because he was quick but these other guys aren't

OUT: Lynch, Frampton, Kelly

IN: Hately, Thilthorpe, Worrell

The fact of the matter is for Fogarty is you need to touch the ball more than 5 times to survive in this league, if he could average 13-15 touches a game he would be a weapon, he isn't kicking 3 every week if he's only touching it 5 times, he obviously plays next week cause he deserves to but has to get involved more around the ground
maybe he wouldve got his hands on the ball more if his team mates actually delivered it better instead of the rubbish they were dishing up in the first three quarters...

I'll try to take some attention off poor old Vader by introducing my own intransigence. I watched all the game today, and at no point have I felt the need to drop Kelly. I think the number of people on here who seem keen to are simply reflecting their own biases, expecially in the absence of the running-man whipping boy.

By the way, you do all realise that you can in fact call for the dropping of Mackay?? You need to! Go at it. ;)

I'll try to take some attention off poor old Vader by introducing my own intransigence. I watched all the game today, and at no point have I felt the need to drop Kelly. I think the number of people on here who seem keen to are simply reflecting their own biases, expecially in the absence of the running-man whipping boy.

By the way, you do all realise that you can in fact call for the dropping of Mackay?? You need to! Go at it. ;)

Why would we, he was more effective than Frampton?

Nah, if Mackays plays 20 games as a sub, that's money well spent for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What???!!! He kicked three, should have had 4 and he doesn’t have a role??

If he kicked 3 every game, he’d have a 66 goal season and be right up there for the Coleman. Drop Billy, put Fog in his spot then introduce Worrell as the next Lynch.

Freo going to be a danger game. Will know a lot more about our team after this game.

Wh are we favorites at $1.65 for this match??? Has anyone seen the midfield match-ups?

Fyfe, Cerra, Bradshaw, Serong, Acres, Mundy... our midfield was already thin, and now we’re missing Sloane and Crouch

If he kicked 3 every game, he’d have a 66 goal season and be right up there for the Coleman. Drop Billy, put Fog in his spot then introduce Worrell as the next Lynch.

Wh are we favorites at $1.65 for this match??? Has anyone seen the midfield match-ups?

Fyfe, Cerra, Bradshaw, Serong, Acres, Mundy... our midfield was already thin, and now we’re missing Sloane and Crouch

Yeah, if Lynch has to go out, I would also like to see Worrell as the replacement, rather than as a defender.

Nah, McHenry had Rowe covered this week.

13 disposals, 7 score involvements, 28 pressure acts compared to 9 disposals, 4 score involvements and 19 pressure acts.

Mind you, I'm not moving on any of them at the moment. Rowe is finding his feet, and looks a goal a game small (who is doing a pretty solid job on defence which was a bit of a weakness coming into this year). McHenry is probably the best pressure forward we have, and alongside Berry, Murphy and Shoenberg are all playing a big role in that added toughness we have in tight games. McAdam and Murphy have found some pretty useful niches as well.
I like that mcadam can still impact tge scoreboard even if he ends up with only a few touches. As long as he brings the pressure acts etc if he averages 2-3 goals a game like he is now he is invaluable

I think 95% of us would agree that...

Out: Frampton
In: Thilthorpe

Would be a fun and welcome change this week. Frampton has been literally in our worst 3 players for 3 weeks in a row now, and Thilthorpe replacing Billy for his debut game, on our home deck, against an opponent that isn’t a powerhouse, makes a lot of sense.

Beyond that glaringly obvious change, it will be interesting to see what we do.

Hamill seemingly goes to the dressing room with some form of injury every game. Is it time to give him a week off to lick his wounds and freshen up? Does Worrell replace him, or would Worrell be a more suitable replacement for Kelly? Would we consider dropping Kelly, who was poor against North (in fairness, he was excellent against Gold Coast)? Is there some sort of sneaky chance of D-Mac finding his way back into the 22 as a Hamill replacement? Would BigFooty melt if this happened?

Lynch, Fog, Walker and whoever the tallest forward is probably can’t all co-exist moving forward - the ball was coming out of our F50 far too easily today, and that was against the indisputably worst defence in the AFL. Do we give Lynch a week off to get his toe back to 100% and replace him with more of a “true mid” due to Sloane’s absence? Did Fog do enough to hold his spot? Can everyone accept now that Fog is not and will never be an AFL midfielder (he spent time in the midfield and literally didn’t touch the ball once while in there)? Is Hately the only logical Sloane replacement at present?

Does one of McHenry, Berry or Rowe need a spell? Who would replace them? Is Pedlar ready to go or does he need another week or two in the SANFL?

I think all of the above adds up to 1 or 2 changes this week only.

(If Lynch is deemed to still be labouring with his toe injury)
Out: Frampton, Lynch (managed)
In: Thilthorpe, Hately

(If Lynch is deemed 100%, but Hamill is struggling with a variety of ailments)
Out: Frampton, Hamill (managed)
In: Thilthorpe, Mackay

(If Lynch and Hamill are both deemed 100%, and no other hidden injuries rear their ugly heads)

Worrell probably needs Kelly to play another poor game against Freo to break in, because Seedsman has really nailed down a spot now, and the likes of Doedee, Brown, Smith, Butts and McPherson aren’t going anywhere either. Worrell will not be played up forward. It is possible that Worrell replaces Hamill in scenario 2 above, but you just know how much the coaches will love D-Mac being a “like-for-like” replacement for Hamill, even though they’re actually nothing alike.

To be honest, as long as Thilthorpe replaces Frampton, and any other changes don’t result in us getting slower, I’ll be fine with it. I personally don’t believe Fog and Lynch should be playing in the same side moving forward, so I would prefer the first scenario tbh.

I’m very excited about Pedlar and Worrell hopefully breaking into the side soon for debuts (Worrell looks on track for Round 6, Pedlar for Round 7-8), which will put a lot of pressure on all of Kelly, Lynch, Fogarty, Rowe, McHenry and Berry to either perform or be replaced.

McHenry and Rowe in particular would be looking over their shoulders, because Pedlar is inevitably taking one of their spots in the next month unless injury either strikes Pedlar, or another player in the current senior 22.

Yep, agree 100%, It’s harsh but I’d drop Fog, Yeah he kicked 3 goals, but had zero influence in general play and provides less than zero forward pressure, all this talk of turning him into a part time mid is just that, talk. Until Walker is injured or his form demands he be dropped Fog doesn’t seem to have a role in this team.
Absolutely Dewy 006. The conversation needs to be had with Fog that he is Walkers replacement. In the meantime with Sloane out Hately comes in to play a similar role to Sloane and give Laird the midfield support he needs and deserves. To me its a no brainer.

I think 95% of us would agree that...

Would be a fun and welcome change this week. Frampton has been literally in our worst 3 players for 3 weeks in a row now, and Thilthorpe replacing Billy for his debut game, on our home deck, against an opponent that isn’t a powerhouse, makes a lot of sense.

Beyond that glaringly obvious change, it will be interesting to see what we do.

Hamill seemingly goes to the dressing room with some form of injury every game. Is it time to give him a week off to lick his wounds and freshen up? Does Worrell replace him, or would Worrell be a more suitable replacement for Kelly? Would we consider dropping Kelly, who was poor against North (in fairness, he was excellent against Gold Coast)? Is there some sort of sneaky chance of D-Mac finding his way back into the 22 as a Hamill replacement? Would BigFooty melt if this happened?

Lynch, Fog, Walker and whoever the tallest forward is probably can’t all co-exist moving forward - the ball was coming out of our F50 far too easily today, and that was against the indisputably worst defence in the AFL. Do we give Lynch a week off to get his toe back to 100% and replace him with more of a “true mid” due to Sloane’s absence? Did Fog do enough to hold his spot? Can everyone accept now that Fog is not and will never be an AFL midfielder (he spent time in the midfield and literally didn’t touch the ball once while in there)? Is Hately the only logical Sloane replacement at present?

Does one of McHenry, Berry or Rowe need a spell? Who would replace them? Is Pedlar ready to go or does he need another week or two in the SANFL?

I think all of the above adds up to 1 or 2 changes this week only.

(If Lynch is deemed to still be labouring with his toe injury)
Out: Frampton, Lynch (managed)
In: Thilthorpe, Hately

(If Lynch is deemed 100%, but Hamill is struggling with a variety of ailments)
Out: Frampton, Hamill (managed)
In: Thilthorpe, Mackay

(If Lynch and Hamill are both deemed 100%, and no other hidden injuries rear their ugly heads)

Worrell probably needs Kelly to play another poor game against Freo to break in, because Seedsman has really nailed down a spot now, and the likes of Doedee, Brown, Smith, Butts and McPherson aren’t going anywhere either. Worrell will not be played up forward. It is possible that Worrell replaces Hamill in scenario 2 above, but you just know how much the coaches will love D-Mac being a “like-for-like” replacement for Hamill, even though they’re actually nothing alike.

To be honest, as long as Thilthorpe replaces Frampton, and any other changes don’t result in us getting slower, I’ll be fine with it. I personally don’t believe Fog and Lynch should be playing in the same side moving forward, so I would prefer the first scenario tbh.

I’m very excited about Pedlar and Worrell hopefully breaking into the side soon for debuts (Worrell looks on track for Round 6, Pedlar for Round 7-8), which will put a lot of pressure on all of Kelly, Lynch, Fogarty, Rowe, McHenry and Berry to either perform or be replaced.

McHenry and Rowe in particular would be looking over their shoulders, because Pedlar is inevitably taking one of their spots in the next month unless injury either strikes Pedlar, or another player in the current senior 22.
I didnt get a chance to read your post can you summarise for us :D

Yep, agree 100%, It’s harsh but I’d drop Fog, Yeah he kicked 3 goals, but had zero influence in general play and provides less than zero forward pressure, all this talk of turning him into a part time mid is just that, talk. Until Walker is injured or his form demands he be dropped Fog doesn’t seem to have a role in this team.
Really!! Why can’t we play Walker at CFW and Fog at FF?? Both are good on the lead and a great kick. Drop Frampton and play Tilly or Berg. Walker could do a bit of Lynch’s role as well to help out as lynch has been inconsistent

I like that mcadam can still impact tge scoreboard even if he ends up with only a few touches. As long as he brings the pressure acts etc if he averages 2-3 goals a game like he is now he is invaluable

I have a lot of time for McAdam, but you could make the case that he's the worst performing forward out of the four smalls at the moment (ignoring Schoenberg and Berry who have been rotating through, and both have been rather monstrous on the defensive side of things so far). Which is fantastic seeing he will eventually start impacting defensively again, and that could mitigate any drop off from Tex. It could also mean we might have another gear in us when he gets up and running, because it also means he'll be producing more offensively.

You've got McHenry and Murphy performing at a very good click seeing both are at 5.5 score involvements a game, McHenry is at 21.5 PA, Murphy 17.5, but that's also offset by Murphy finding a bit of a niche as a midfield rotation. That part is working rather well at the moment, as much as it'd be nice if both of them were able to elevate themselves to a goal a game forwards. Rowe and McAdam are a bit lower, at 4.3 score involvements a game, though it's also worth noting McAdam is doubling Rowe in goals (in fact McAdam has really been our "finisher" per say in that he hasn't had a lot to do with others scoring). Rowe does have him defensively (2 tackles to 0.8, 12 PA to 10).

It's certainly an area which is in a good place to improve as the year goes on.

Last edited:
Genuinely laughed at describing kicking goals from 45 out on tight angles as being on the receiving end. There's about 5 players in the league that were capable of slotting all three.

Never go full Vader.

Really!! Why can’t we play Walker at CFW and Fog at FF?? Both are good on the lead and a great kick. Drop Frampton and play Tilly or Berg. Walker could do a bit of Lynch’s role as well to help out as lynch has been inconsistent

Why? Did you see the ease at which North exited the F50 today? Now imagine that’s an actual competent team with good setups behind the ball and damaging half backs. The speed at which teams will rebound with a Fog, Walker, Frilthorpeberg forward setup will give you whiplash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back