Preview Changes: R9 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

... but for Gibson who will be so underdone...
Gibson's fitness level, professionalism and preparation at NM was elite, by all accounts. He was certainly one of our fittest, pre-season, until Hass' program cut him down after 130 injury-free games.
("Sam, welcome, and well done on your fitness and injury-free career --- meet Hass".
Hass: " Hi Sam, do all these things". Later ... (not much later) ...
Sam: "Aaaaarrrgh, my hammy!!!" ) :eek:
CANNOT be coincidence.
If he's ready to play SANFL as was planned, now he's ready to play AFL given our injuries plague.

If any of the players does a hammie tonight, Hass should finally admit his incompetence and resign.

Have a feeling they have ruled a line through him after pre season like Wigg last year.

Pity, as Fog has showed a heap of potential but his last game was not good. We'd be better off giving Dear a run.

First year player has an off game, lets not pick him again?

Dear has been on our list 4 years and has shown himself to be nothing more than OK at SANFL level and you want to give him a game over the future of our forward line?

If there is a silver lining in the current situation is that we are being forced to play youngsters who have had a bad game, maybe we will see that they bounce back, confident in getting a few games strung together to start playing decent regular football.

Gibson's fitness level, professionalism and preparation at NM was elite, by all accounts. He was certainly one of our fittest, pre-season, until Hass' program cut him down after 130 injury-free games.
("Sam, welcome, and well done on your fitness and injury-free career --- meet Hass".
CANNOT be coincidence.
If he's ready to play SANFL as was planned, now he's ready to play AFL given our injuries plague.

If any of the players does a hammie tonight, Hass should finally admit his incompetence and resign.
I feel for Gibson. He maybe has this season and one more in him ... he'd been bullet-proof under the Kanga-Tech system developed at North - then he gets a chance at a real premiership run at the Crows where we utilise the same system ... but somehow we have pulled the wrong lever and ka-pow. I hope we all notice that North have a full list available and are flying above expectations ... it's not the tech that's the problem.

He is a the best example of how long it actually takes to get over whatever we did. Was going to play round 1 but experienced awareness - now he is finally in the 22 for Round 9. The guy is a machine when it comes to prep, and he is as experienced on the tech as anyone .. so not many will do it quicker than him.

10 weeks to be back properly? Or have we rushed Gibbo in?

Doesn't feel too good to think that Matt Crouch is at the start of it.

Dear has been on our list 4 years and has shown himself to be nothing more than OK at SANFL level and you want to give him a game over the future of our forward line?

If there is a silver lining in the current situation is that we are being forced to play youngsters who have had a bad game, maybe we will see that they bounce back, confident in getting a few games strung together to start playing decent regular football.
Dear confuses me. I think its that old thing of "if you were in the four walls". We see a snippet of these guys ... the club sees much more.

When we tried him, he seemed to be everything you want in a potential big forward. Then again, so did McKernan.

So why doesn't Harry get that opportunity? Gallucci wasn't shooting the lights out in the twos either.

1) Sounds to me like you are frustrated that we have injuries so are making yourself feel better by assuming someone must be responsible, well sorry mate but not everything in life goes how we want it too, but it usually isn't anyone else's fault, just life.
2) I find it strange that the reaction to an extraordinary run of misfortune is to take it as a personal insult.
Grow up people.
To both of you, there has certainly been some overreaction in here --- but I don't think people are complaining about injuries like Gov's which can happen to anyone in the heat of battle. The problems are two-fold:
--- the fitness staff have been playing personnel when they are underdone (Tex), and/or injured (Sloane, who should not have played after Round 2, but limped around for 2 more games until rested!!!). The question from that is: why do they know their own players so poorly, to do that?
--- it's undeniable there has been a spate of hamstring injuries, much more than the usual one might expect. It's suspected (for good reason imo) that Hass is responsible.
1) it's been very frustrating, but accusing people of making themselves feel better "by assuming someone must be responsible" is a strange conclusion to make. What's the evidence for that? Especially since there has to be something wrong with what they've been doing, at someone's instruction (ie someone is responsible), to sustain so many hamstring injuries.
2) I haven't seen many posters say they've felt personally insulted by the players' hamstring injuries. Makes no sense. However, telling BF posters to "grow up" --- which is personally insulting --- won't endear you to the Board.

Dear confuses me. I think its that old thing of "if you were in the four walls". We see a snippet of these guys ... the club sees much more.

When we tried him, he seemed to be everything you want in a potential big forward. Then again, so did McKernan.
I've been a fan, so I might be bias. What I see, though, is a big, agile guy, good below his knees, aggressive, can take a grab and can ruck.

I agree, there's clearly stuff we don't see, but jeez, why keep him on the list so long if we have no plans to try him out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we all notice that North have a full list available and are flying above expectations ... it's not the tech that's the problem.
He is a the best example of how long it actually takes to get over whatever we did.
Very good post. I'd love to know "whatever we did" is!
No other club has sustained the same number of hamstring injuries in the first 8 rounds. The only logical conclusion is: the fitness staff have done something wrong.
Club statement which we will never see:
"The AFC fitness staff and management are all very concerned at the run of hamstring injuries some players have sustained. An internal review will be taken immediately to discover what has been done wrongly and to make the necessary changes, in personnel too, if necessary".
They'll wait until after we've made up the numbers this year, or missed out altogether.

Should we take a quick squiz at whom the Bulldogs have actually beaten and by how much?
W - Bulldogs 107 vs Lions 93 - 14 points (home - Etihad)
W - Bulldogs 81 vs Suns 72 - 9 points (home - Mars)
W - Bulldogs 80 vs Blues 59 - 21 points (home - Etihad)
L - Fremantle 108 vs Bulldogs 54 - 54 points (away - Optus)
L - Bulldogs 79 vs Sydney 86 - 7 points (home - Etihad)
W - Bulldogs 104 vs Bombers 83 - 21 points (home - Etihad)
L - Bulldogs 70 vs Eagles 121 - 51 points (home - Etihad)
L - Giants 133 vs Bulldogs 51 - 82 points (Away - Canberra)

I'm sorry Bicks, you can rate their midfield all you like, but they are an extremely average football side, especially when dragged out of Victoria (average losing margin of 68 points). They've won the last 3 games, but against the likely bottom 3 sides, whilst playing in their home state, and even then the games were pretty tightly fought. Even with our injuries, we should still beat the Bulldogs. All the Bulldogs have shown thus far this year, is that they're not a bottom 4 team when playing at Etihad.
Your really good analysis has given me hope for tonight, thanks.

I’m not implying it - I’m saying it.
Great comeback.
Our injury and player management has been a joke.
We’ve played injured players and made them worse.
We’ve smashed guys over the preseason and broken them.
We’ve had guys like Brad Crouch who were having great pre seasons - only to miss half a season with a pre existing condition; that arguably should’ve been resolved over the PS!
All true.
Gibson is the classic example. His preparation and fitness are elite and he played 130 consecutive games for NM. Under Hass, PING! he does a hamstring (along with several other players). It canNOT be a coincidence. There are too many of the same injury.

Can anyone explain to me how we can possibly pick Gibson?
I'll try.
Gibson was declared fit and was going to be brought back via SANFL. Gibson's fitness is elite (Crows time trials winner) and he's one of few players we can select with AFL experience (130 AFL games, all consecutive until Hass got to him), to run through the midfield and off the wing. Gibson is experienced enough to know not to over-extend himself, first game back (I hope! :)). I want to see him go in hard and provide a contest --- he'll have some AFL nous about positioning and blocking too.
I fear his selection less than I am worried about seeing him limp off with another pinged hammie :eek:. We'll know tonight.

CANNOT be coincidence.

Gibson coming straight in at AFL level isn’t a huge concern for me. He’s played at AFL level for 10 years and did almost a full pre season. Ideally he’d play SANFL, but given our current situation it makes perfect sense to bring him in.

I'll try.
Gibson was declared fit and was going to be brought back via SANFL. Gibson's fitness is elite (Crows time trials winner) and he's one of few players we can select with AFL experience (130 AFL games, all consecutive until Hass got to him), to run through the midfield and off the wing. Gibson is experienced enough to know not to over-extend himself, first game back (I hope! :)). I want to see him go in hard and provide a contest --- he'll have some AFL nous about positioning and blocking too.
I fear his selection less than I am worried about seeing him limp off with another pinged hammie :eek:. We'll know tonight.
I do think that is about it. Its not ideal but there is a bottom of the barrel feel. Not suggesting Gibson is BoB but the circumstances dictate he plays AFL instead of SANFL

also Hampton or Gibson... not really that hard of a call is it? Hamptons injury history isn't great

Four player return to footy Keath, Hampton, Gibson and Hartigan

Hopefully Milera back next week and Brown, Tex and M Crouch not far as well
So we gain 3x depth players & 1x best-22 player, while losing 4x best-22 players (Walker, Brown, Matt Crouch, McGovern) and having another (Knight) confirmed as being out for an extended period. How is this an improvement?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back