Preview Changes vs Adelaide (Sun 16th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like West and Cavarra getting a go but Roarke again?

By now he really should either be in the 22 or done. Same for Gowers.

Can’t help but think Bevo sees this year as a glorified NAB Cup and is just trying to bloody kids and give fringe players a final chance to make their case. It’s been very odd.

We should be paying NAB Cup ticket prices instead of our full membership if that's the case. None of us have gone in half-hearted financially so why the free pass just because they're treating it as a Mickey Mouse (should be Goofy) season.

irrational other than during an actual game day thread I’m fairly measured with most things I say and generally back up what I say with reasoning whether you agree with the reasoning or not doesn’t make it irrational, so I completely dispute that.

Pretty sure I said the defence could cover for not bringing an extra tall in but Wood has to play tall. Last week I thought we were too tall down back based on the opponent who plays two kpf generally since Martin has been out those two being hipwood and McStay. Based on match ups this weeks back line structure would be better suited to Brisbane and last weeks better suited to this week excluding the personnel in our back 6.

We tried Bont beside Bruce and the forward line has not functioned that well at all, last week was the most efficient we have looked since the north game and in those two games we played 2 genuine kpfs. On top of that naughton is second up from injury and now has to lead the forward line with no genuine kpf support.

English has one out rucked all but one week but Bruce is normally the chop out in there and the weeks we have gone with a single kpf it’s been midfielders and that’s not ideal plus English has looked cooked lately.

No did not call for either of Bruce or JJ to be out. From memory before injuries were announced I believe I called for a single change Lewis young in for Gardner

Our def set up is no different than it has been for a while. Our team defence, when nailed, means that most of our defenders don’t need to play one out against oppo fwds. Wood’s not expected to shutdown Adelaides 3rd tall unless we bottle it up the field.

Part of the reason we’ve struggled up fwd this season is due to the breakdown of connection between the mids and fwds. This has happened with the one key fwd and also when playing with two. There’s no real trend when only looking at who’s down there.
When Bont played there against Port, we ****ed it through the middle so gave none of our fwds a chance.

If we nail our systems across the field both the fwd line and backline function well. Bont will get his chances and Wood will play his normal game. The frustration should be saved for post game if things don’t go well rather than pre game in anticipation of our systems being fluffed.

irrational other than during an actual game day thread I’m fairly measured with most things I say and generally back up what I say with reasoning whether you agree with the reasoning or not doesn’t make it irrational, so I completely dispute that.

Pretty sure I said the defence could cover for not bringing an extra tall in but Wood has to play tall. Last week I thought we were too tall down back based on the opponent who plays two kpf generally since Martin has been out those two being hipwood and McStay. Based on match ups this weeks back line structure would be better suited to Brisbane and last weeks better suited to this week excluding the personnel in our back 6.

We tried Bont beside Bruce and the forward line has not functioned that well at all, last week was the most efficient we have looked since the north game and in those two games we played 2 genuine kpfs. On top of that naughton is second up from injury and now has to lead the forward line with no genuine kpf support.

English has one out rucked all but one week but Bruce is normally the chop out in there and the weeks we have gone with a single kpf it’s been midfielders and that’s not ideal plus English has looked cooked lately.

No did not call for either of Bruce or JJ to be out. From memory before injuries were announced I believe I called for a single change Lewis young in for Gardner

And apologies if you aren’t the irrational Doggie in here. There’s a few Doggies so I may be confused.

Load up on Walker to kick 5 $$$. I’m happy with West and Cavarra but Smith? Revolving door for Bevo’s mates: Gowers, Gardner, Smith

I just got on Walker & Himmelberg to kick 2+ goals each and Daniel 15+ disposals, paying around $14

Don’t understand all the melts. Most have been wanting Bruce and JJ out of the side and plenty have wanted Cavarra and West in. You’ve got what you wanted.

Team balance isn’t off either. Two key backs with Wood able to play 3rd if need be. Two talented fwds in Naughts and Bont. English rucking one out as he has all year.

Seems like some in here will tear up regardless of the side that’s named.

Could not agree more.

Thank goodness there are some voices of reason here.

Wonder what Neil Balme is up to next year.

Balmey seems to have some kind of magical super-power when it comes to reigning in a person who can undoubtedly coach but who also needs a clip over the back of the head every now and again in order to remind them that A: You're not necessarily the smartest person in the room, even if you have read Napoleon Bonaparte's memoirs and B: Allow yourself to be challenged by those with opinions different to yours.

Luke will always be a Bulldogs Immortal despite what is to come. And with the list we have it could be even better. Don't sully your legacy Bevo. Embrace and acknowledge ideas that differ to your own....

...because you are shitting all of us up the wall at the moment!

Last edited:
This is the worst selected side I have seen in my 60 years not only have we got Gardner we got Roarke Smith all we need to complete the trifecta is Gowers to be a late in. It makes it easier to not watch in protest as someone said before Bevo has given up on the season. I expect a crows win. Forget my username I totally P1ssed off.
Mate I remember teams in the early 80s where our spine included Jim McAllister, Mark Komp, Terry De Koning, Ross Christensen, Allister Ford and Bill Berry. No-one who remembers that era can remotely think this team is worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to be invited to a selection meeting, to try to understand what the hell they are thinking, and at some point to try to point out to them the error of their ways. Of course I would fully expect to be shown the door and told to never come back.

We have selected a team that lacks height, strength, pace and most importantly confidence.
We may be playing the bottom side but they will likely go into the game with more confidence than us despite their poor record this season.

The impacts of Gardner and Roarke Smith's selections in past teams have arguably approximated with playing a man down, so minimal have been their contributions. (By the way, comparisons with Gowers, do Billy an injustice. He may have been out of form for a long while but he has at least demonstrated an ability to play well at the top level when his confidence is up.)

Throw into the mix, a second game small forward, a significant number of players struggling with form, injury, personal issues, etcetera, and we have got some serious personnel concerns.

Then add into the mix the fact that in two key positions we have not only put our faith in out of form players, Gardner at CHB and English in the Ruck, but we have included no back up options for either of them. We could choose to move Naughton back and play a truly small forward line, but based on last week Bev is unlikely to make such a move, so it looks like Gardner or bust.

Trying to look for a silver lining on a very dark selection cloud:

We have a bunch of decent players that are over due to play well.

Cavarra and the much maligned R. Smith and Gardner might just recognise their footballing lives depend on how they perform tomorrow and actually play like they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I live in hope.

I'd love to be invited to a selection meeting, to try to understand what the hell they are thinking, and at some point to try to point out to them the error of their ways. Of course I would fully expect to be shown the door and told to never come back.

We have selected a team that lacks height, strength, pace and most importantly confidence.
We may be playing the bottom side but they will likely go into the game with more confidence than us despite their poor record this season.

The impacts of Gardner and Roarke Smith's selections in past teams have arguably approximated with playing a man down, so minimal have been their contributions. (By the way, comparisons with Gowers, do Billy an injustice. He may have been out of form for a long while but he has at least demonstrated an ability to play well at the top level when his confidence is up.)

Throw into the mix, a second game small forward, a significant number of players struggling with form, injury, personal issues, etcetera, and we have got some serious personnel concerns.

Then add into the mix the fact that in two key positions we have not only put our faith in out of form players, Gardner at CHB and English in the Ruck, but we have included no back up options for either of them. We could choose to move Naughton back and play a truly small forward line, but based on last week Bev is unlikely to make such a move, so it looks like Gardner or bust.

Cavarra and the much maligned R. Smith and Gardner might just recognise their footballing lives depend on how they perform tomorrow and actually play like they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

I live in hope.

You forgot conditions are supposed to be perfect and we have gone small opposed to when it rained and we went in bigger 🤷🏼‍♂️

I live in hope.

I highly doubt that mate. There's a high demand for armchair experts. They're very hard to find these days. Just print off your posting history as a CV and I reckon they will offer you a salaried position on the spot.

I'd English or Naughton go down or have a bad game what are our options. How can the mc let this happen. Any serious journalist should be asking this question to bev

Macrae takes the hitouts, I guess. The healthy one of Naughton or English up forward, and at least we have inside mid depth.

I would have thought our big star recruit forward would get a game against the bottom side
Looks a bit shaky at both ends and ruck
It’s a bit different might work may not
Go Dogs

It’s a tough year as a dogs fan. It feels like the club is taking the mickey and treating us like idiots.

when the MC started picking the low hanging fruit last year we started winning.

they clearly didn’t learn from it.

when will they understand we don’t give a s**t about this underlying philosophy of age/experience doesn’t matter.

it has been proven to matter and it’s not acceptable to let it continue to be an excuse for garbage performances.

looking at these two teams team sheets I don’t see how we could be favourites

I'm amazed that so many people have failed to realise that Bruce obviously has a minor injury. We aren't resting him for no reason. It doesn't take a genius to figure that he's not quite right physically.

B Smith and Bont aren't right physically either. I'd have liked to see B Smith rested, he hasn't been the same since the head knock.

I highly doubt that mate. There's a high demand for armchair experts. They're very hard to find these days. Just print off your posting history as a CV and I reckon they will offer you a salaried position on the spot.

The club could easily do worse. I would argue that they have done so in the past and continue to do so. :)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bev plays Gardner forward and goes with Keath on Himmelburg and Wood on Walker

Gardner prefers playing forward and Adelaide aren’t that big.

Still at least one tall short but I expect Dunkley to ruck forward half

It’s the only way this selection makes ANY sense at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back