Roast Chapman intends to retire (within 12 months) ...

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I heard I think it was more along the lines of how guys like Burton and Pyke would change the way they operate, but it's the old "leopard doesn't change his spots" issue. I don't think it was any any one specific thing to change, but Burton isn't great with people skills and Pyke can be a bit of a grumpy old man at times (stress added on top of that probably doesn't help). I don't think Burton getting rid of all the people who were on the players side helped things either.

I do genuinely believe Pyke tried his hardest, he backed off the players a lot and tried to cheer the place up a bit (all the "let's have fun!" stuff through the pre-season as an example) like the the players wanted and let Campo take over more with player feedback as part of his increased duties. The issue is then Campo felt he needed to go ultra negative on his player feedback, so it was probably just a pretty miserable place all around. Then it's sort of a rock/hard place issue because the players wanted Pyke to back off, but then weren't happy when he wasn't giving them as much feedback as he used to, players get dropped without hearing why from Pyke and get annoyed by that etc.

I think this is sort of the area the players need to take a bit of responsibility too, because Pyke worked with them on their feedback from 2018 and they still weren't happy, though whether that was lingering issues from what happened from the GF all through 2018 and they were never going to be happy no matter what I don't know.

Probably coz the last two people who were involved, Burton and Campo, were the real problem and they didn't change their behaviours at all whilst Pyke modified his.

From what I heard I think it was more along the lines of how guys like Burton and Pyke would change the way they operate, but it's the old "leopard doesn't change his spots" issue. I don't think it was any any one specific thing to change, but Burton isn't great with people skills and Pyke can be a bit of a grumpy old man at times (stress added on top of that probably doesn't help). I don't think Burton getting rid of all the people who were on the players side helped things either.

I do genuinely believe Pyke tried his hardest, he backed off the players a lot and tried to cheer the place up a bit (all the "let's have fun!" stuff through the pre-season as an example) like the the players wanted and let Campo take over more with player feedback as part of his increased duties. The issue is then Campo felt he needed to go ultra negative on his player feedback, so it was probably just a pretty miserable place all around. Then it's sort of a rock/hard place issue because the players wanted Pyke to back off, but then weren't happy when he wasn't giving them as much feedback as he used to, players get dropped without hearing why from Pyke and get annoyed by that etc.

I think this is sort of the area the players need to take a bit of responsibility too, because Pyke worked with them on their feedback from 2018 and they still weren't happy, though whether that was lingering issues from what happened from the GF all through 2018 and they were never going to be happy no matter what I don't know.
This also sounds like we have a high maintenance playing group

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You got to laugh at how many times Chapman has told us that he will steer us through and steady the ship with every crisis we have.
Thank you Captain Disaster
To be fair, he did a bloody good job through the Walsh crisis.

Still and all, it probably feels like his baby and he just wants to do “the right thing” by the Club by making sure all is ok. Fact is, he’s been there too long and we need clean air. I wish he could see that.

Or a playing group that has no confidence in the club to give them the best chance of winning a flag. Their footy careers are short lived, they have every right to demand a competent football program.

You’ve also got to take into account besides the camp and it’s handling, this football department destroyed their chances in 2018 with a failed fitness program run by amateurs.

50/50 I think.

I don't think it's something unique to this group, I think it's somewhat a by-product of being in a football mad state where you're the biggest thing in town. Go outside the club and you're the untouchable rockstar.

Still and all, it probably feels like his baby and he just wants to do “the right thing” by the Club by making sure all is ok. Fact is, he’s been there too long and we need clean air. I wish he could see that.

But that seems to be the issue throughout the whole club.
Senior players and management don't have any self awareness of their own performance and occupy positions well past their use by date.

What did he specifically do through the Walsh crisis?

Say what?!?

“There is not much more than incremental gains we can make today in physically improving our players,” Chapman told The Advertiser on Thursday. “But when we are told we are using just five per cent of the mind’s capacity, it would be negligent not to explore how we can unlock the potential of the mind.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“There is not much more than incremental gains we can make today in physically improving our players,” Chapman told The Advertiser on Thursday. “But when we are told we are using just five per cent of the mind’s capacity, it would be negligent not to explore how we can unlock the potential of the mind.”

:oops:

Who told him that, Collective Mind?

Can someone actually pin him down on a handover date?

Shouldn’t be hard, as he assures us it’s happening... just not with any specifics.

Told you guys this bullshit artist has no intention of standing down.

He's actually used the death of a colleague as a smoke screen to maintain his position - what a scumbag.

This thread aged well.

it took 4 weeks for this cancer on the club to find yet another reason to extend his tenure.
Hang on... he said he’d be gone within 12 months in August.... which means....he’s got 10 months to go?

Hang on... he said he’d be gone within 12 months in August.... which means....he’s got 10 months to go?

He said he was standing down before the death of Foord, and only renewed his term (without any fanfare) to oversee the transition to a new Chairman (lucky us).

That has now changed to "I need to stay on to maintain stability, even though I have overseen the cause of the instability."

He's full of s**t.

This thread aged well.

it took 4 weeks for this cancer on the club to find yet another reason to extend his tenure.

he is so cooked , its a real worry.

very good bloke, but seems the walsh tragedy has sucked the life out of him, to the point he really doesn't care about winning.

He is in arse saving mode. If he leaves at anywhere close to this point (review, terminations etc) he gets tarred with the same brush. For his own ego, career etc he has to see it through in some fashion and thus distance himself from the smell of the review fallout. He must go.

He is in arse saving mode. If he leaves at anywhere close to this point (review, terminations etc) he gets tarred with the same brush. For his own ego, career etc he has to see it through in some fashion and thus distance himself from the smell of the review fallout. He must go.
This.
Burton's (welcome) sacking has made Chapman's claims about Burton being viewed as "elite" by the end of his career look extremely foolish. Chapman backed in a loser, sacked for incompetence; further proof of Chapman's own incompetence.
If he had any self-respect, he'd resign asap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back