Injury Clark Confirmed Out for the Season

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't give up Watts for less then a mid first rounder on his own, you are wrong.

You have a crack at our supporters for putting up a hypothetical biased against one of your players then have the balls to chuck this up in the same breath?

Come on champ.

Grant and Watts are absolutely poles apart - (saying Watts is a 'better player' doesn't do it justice) ******* poles.

Griffen is not elite, he'd be a top 50 player - no way is he top 20, absolutely no way.
We rate players differently. Simple as that. I'm not going to argue what I think Watts is worth anymore, because we are from opposing clubs and will probably never agree on the value.

I wasn't comparing them (Watts and Grant) as players, It was to make the point that just because he is a high pick, doesn't mean he's worth anything near that. Your supporters idea of a 'bias' trade was an out and out gun PLUS pick 5 for pick 1. Not comparable in any way to a trade about a severely under-performing former #1 draft selection. He'd be a fringe player in over half the teams in the league if he is picked up in the next trading period. They'd trade for him in the hope that they can undo the horrible development job that the MFC has done.

Griffen is most certainly elite. You're kidding yourself if you think he isn't and you need to watch his games over the past 3 years. In the top bracket of players. Currently, most people would have him in their AA team. Go and watch some footage of him, read others opinions and don't just get defensive because I called your best player average. It's nothing against you as a supporter base, just a testament to the hugely s**t job the club has done at developing your talent.

I hope that clarifies it for you, 'Champ'.

We wouldn't give up Watts for less then a mid first rounder on his own, you are wrong.

You have a crack at our supporters for putting up a hypothetical biased against one of your players then have the balls to chuck this up in the same breath?

Come on champ.

Grant and Watts are absolutely poles apart - (saying Watts is a 'better player' doesn't do it justice) ******* poles.

Griffen is not elite, he'd be a top 50 player - no way is he top 20, absolutely no way.

The problem with Watts though is we value him on the basis of his potential, and 'glimpses' he's shown. When trading for someone you want to know what you're getting. Watts is still a big unknown. He could be a star, or he could be a solid role player, or he could be depth, or he could be nothing. He hasn't really shown enough to say he'll be a star, but a solid player with the occasional big game seems on the cards provided he is developed properly and is played in a suitable position (forward). Given that he's no certainty to be a star (which is what you'd want if you're handing over pick 10 or so) but more likely to be a bit above average player, pick 20ish seems about right I think.
Also as others have pointed out, if Watts does seek a trade it will come down to who offers the most, not necessarily what we want. It's more of a buyers market since he is out of contract and if he nominates a destination then we're going to struggle more to get what we want for him.

On Griffen, I'd say he is elite and probably would crack the top 20 in my eyes although it is a matter of opinion to an extent.

Yes, you know better then us mate.

You especially know better then the poster you just quoted, a brother of a current player.
No need to take it personally, mate. It was widely reported in the media and from his managers mouth that he had accepted a deal for 800k a year for a length of four years. I'm sorry if you're offended that I put forward my opinion on a subject being discussed in an open forum but that is generally the point of them.

The problem with Watts though is we value him on the basis of his potential, and 'glimpses' he's shown. When trading for someone you want to know what you're getting. Watts is still a big unknown. He could be a star, or he could be a solid role player, or he could be depth, or he could be nothing. He hasn't really shown enough to say he'll be a star, but a solid player with the occasional big game seems on the cards provided he is developed properly and is played in a suitable position (forward). Given that he's no certainty to be a star (which is what you'd want if you're handing over pick 10 or so) but more likely to be a bit above average player, pick 20ish seems about right I think.
Also as others have pointed out, if Watts does seek a trade it will come down to who offers the most, not necessarily what we want. It's more of a buyers market since he is out of contract and if he nominates a destination then we're going to struggle more to get what we want for him.

On Griffen, I'd say he is elite and probably would crack the top 20 in my eyes although it is a matter of opinion to an extent.
Thankyou for your balanced and honest post. Refreshing.

Not even anywhere near close to the ball park dale. Don't believe what you hear in the media.
Fair enough, SF. Its hard to ignore the many articles that sprung together claiming it is all. What player are you related to btw?

Thanks mate :thumbsu: Nice to see a few on your board have a bit of perspective considering the situation.

With a pick 11-15, you could potentially get Taylor Adams from GWS. Very nice young player. I'd think you guys would jump at that.

You are also posting sensibly on the issue, although I'd say that picking out one success case as a maybe never really sparks much confidence, especially since for picks 11 to 12 there are just as many duds. For me it's all about the statistics, and weighing up how likely you are to get a player better than Watts at those picks, as sure it's possible, but for example in one draft we had picks 12, 14 and 15 and ended up with Dunn, Bate and Moloney (through a trade for pick 12), with pick 12 ultimately being used by Richmond who selected a dud (forgot who exactly)

Also you need to remember it wouldn't be Geelong or Sydney doing the drafting and recruiting, it'd be Melbourne... :(

Take it easy there mate, not everyone is as big a fan of Watts as you are. I agree he should be worth a first round pick, but those who matter may not see it that way based on his limited output so far.

Re: Griffen, he is definitely a top 20 player, if not top 10 this year. Absolute gun who does it all in a terrible team - no longer just the classy outside player, he plays inside now too and just dominates. Every chance to be AA and top 5 Brownlow this season.

Take it easy there mate, not everyone is as big a fan of Watts as you are. I agree he should be worth a first round pick, but those who matter may not see it that way based on his limited output so far.

Re: Griffen, he is definitely a top 20 player, if not top 10 this year. Absolute gun who does it all in a terrible team - no longer just the classy outside player, he plays inside now too and just dominates. Every chance to be AA and top 5 Brownlow this season.

Sure I've got a lot of faith in Watts.

As it stands, if I was another club I wouldn't be giving up a top 10 pick for Jack.

As for Griffen, he's having a great year - don't think 10 or so games suddenly makes you elite though, he'd probably be having an 'elite' season so far I'd agree.

Griffen has been up there for a few years, has really taken it to a new level this season though.

Been a good player for a long time, has played 8 games at an elite standard this season.

Doesn't equal top 20 player in the competition for mine, but if we didn't have opinions this place would be dull as *!

12 more games at that standard and he'd win me over, although the AFL ratings have him in the top 20...

Been a good player for a long time, has played 8 games at an elite standard this season.

Doesn't equal top 20 player in the competition for mine, but if we didn't have opinions this place would be dull as ****!

12 more games at that standard and he'd win me over, although the AFL ratings have him in the top 20...
Michael Hibberd for PM o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, this guy is made of papier mache. So frustrating, he makes Josh Drummond look like Michael Tuck.

Fingers crossed he gets his body right for 2014, we need a break sometime.

To be honest, away from all the false bravado, it's very worrying that the club haven't been able to give us anything in his recovery aside from 'he's running'. Worrying, this article, because Mahoney is telling us nothing.

To be honest, away from all the false bravado, it's very worrying that the club haven't been able to give us anything in his recovery aside from 'he's running'. Worrying, this article, because Mahoney is telling us nothing.

When they say a player is 'going alright' in their rehab like Mission did a while back you know it's not great. Every other player is rehabing really strongly and coming along nicely. Even going back to when he went down holding his foot against Port and Neeld said it was a sprain it had a weird smell about it. From what the club said when he had screws removed he was meant to be back after the bye. Our season was shot then too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back