Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weatherill seems to have been all over town. Will they let him back into WA?

No mention of him being vaxed. The news reports usually mention if a case is vaxed or not.

If he wasn't, what grounds did he have to enter SA?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

No mention of him being vaxed. The news reports usually mention if a case is vaxed or not.

If he wasn't, what grounds did he have to enter SA?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
They didn’t mention if the other people that tested positive were vaxxed.
Was thinking the same thing, must be vaxxed.
I’ve got friends traveling though WA, they have to be vaxxed to get back in.

So, this Omicron thing.. I was curious as to why we have had so many variants (up to Omicron in the Greek alphabet, but only Delta and Omicron have made the headlines. So I looked it up...

It turns out that these are "Variants of Concern" of which there have been 5 to date, the latest is Omicron and the previous was Delta. None of the variants between Delta and Omicron were "of concern". And the definition of "Variant of Concern" (see the link) is:

Working definition:
A SARS-CoV-2 variant that meets the definition of a VOI (see below) and, through a comparative assessment, has been demonstrated to be associated with one or more of the following changes at a degree of global public health significance:
  • Increase in transmissibility or detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology; OR
  • Increase in virulence or change in clinical disease presentation; OR
  • Decrease in effectiveness of public health and social measures or available diagnostics, vaccines, therapeutics.

Note that these are all "OR..." so a variant doesn't have to be actually more deadly / severe to be of concern, it could just be more contagious / transmissible. And frankly, if a variant spreads more, but impacts on people less, that's surely not a major issue.

Of course the jury is still out on Omicron, but at this stage it does look like the response of some governments "OMG a new variant of concern, better close the borders!" or whatever, is a bit of a knee jerk. I wonder how many people out there know what this "variant of concern" actually means?

Related: I read something recently - sorry, no link, but the author has credentials - that said that while people are inclined to assume that any new variant must be "worse", this is not necessarily the case, and in fact we can even expect new variants to be less severe.

Why? Because a virus does not survive by killing its host. Natural selection means that the variants that persist and survive will be the ones that DON'T kill their host, i.e. their effects will be less severe. The virus does not have a "purpose" of killing people. Almost the reverse - its "purpose" is to live in, and thrive in, living hosts.

Besides, they should all be proud to give their lives to keep the economy going. CEO's need yachts.
The economy is also about regular people's livelihoods and their ability to provide for their families. It is not some disembodied concept that can be ignored when making public health / policy decisions.

And it's easier to believe and promulgate nonsense when it fits your personal prejudices / narrative.
The culture of media has changed where real journalists are being replaced internet personalities. Why get news from reputable sources when some random on youtube can tell you everything you want to hear and reaffirm your pre-existing world view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
In think you guys will find this funny

I got abused today for not wearing my mask 🤣

This old boomer walked past me whilst I was on the phone , I'd moved 5 or so metres away from the nearest person as well.
Why am I not surprised you'd find that amusing?:think:

I've lost a fair few minutes of my life walking back to the car after realising I forgot my damn mask. I find that more frustrating than actually wearing it.
I am very much looking forward to wearing a mask on a +40C day

Surely we can run a quick test to see if it can even be bothered being passed on in that heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back